FOLKLOR: Re: *** Folklor Digest *** V3 #172

RMorr79...@c-cs.com

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
to fol...@glue.umd.edu
In that vein, I would like to thank Viragvolgyi Marta for her wonderful
transcriptions. The more experienced I become at the violin, the more
convinced I am, that her taste is my taste. The more work I give it, the
more I see what she saw (heard?). Her love shows up in what she transcribes
and how well she shows the wonderful details. I am aware of two Kalotasegi
books (Neti and legenyes) , and two gyimesi books. Are there more?

I am unhappy about the flaming and the political arguments. If you must
write it, please put it somewhere else. There is enough pain and grief in
the modern world without throwing more at me. I am interested in the
wonderful folklore and music I find here. That is what I look for when I
look at this mail. The flaming turns me off.

Kodaly Ensemble

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
to fol...@glue.umd.edu
Dear Gerry

Mezosegi is danced as the last dance at tanchaz parties probably for the
same reasons they used to play Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven as the last
number at school dances. I doubt there is any other reason for this.
Dancehouses as we know them here in North America and probably to a lesser
extant in Budapest do not necessarily concentrate on one specific dialect
but rather a little bit from everywhere. This factor alone presents the
dancehouse participants, in a sense, to request their favourites for last
and it seems Mezosegi is requested more often than not. As far as practice
in the village is concerned, I am certain that the villagers at the local
party request favourites for last as well, the difference being they would
exclusively be dancing Mezosegi or Szekelyfoldi etc... depending on where
they were from. We should also note that recently it has become good
practice to make further distinctions between Mezosegi dialects, for
instance making a distinction between Bonchidai and Vajdakamarasi or
Ordongosfuzesi etc... I assure you though that the Toronto Csango
Dancehouse festival will not play a Mezosegi cycle as the last number -
we'll be stomping on concrete until the wee hours of the morning, even the
palinka won't stop us. See you there!!!!

Dobi Gabi

Felado : Gerry Williger <will...@tejut.gsfc.nasa.gov>
>Temakor: FOLKLOR: Meszo:se'gi tradition
>Idopont: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:40:06 -0400 (EDT)
>
> I've been to enough dance parties to notice that
>Meszo:se'gi is danced last. (On the other hand, lessons
>are my holy grail, but they're hard to find for me.) Where
>and/or why did the tradition of Meszo:se'gi as the last dance
>arise?
> For the political discussions: please use the HAL, not
>FOLKLOR. You can continue there.
>G. Williger

tunde.d...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2014, 11:09:17 PM2/13/14
I am also sad, that all people do is criticize. Wonderful music, but the comments.