Bauersfeld vs. Fuller

Louis K. Bonham

Oct 30, 1994, 8:58:25 PM10/30/94
As this is my first post to this list, please forgive me if I am
replowing old ground.

Over the past few years, my research into geodesic structures led
me to come across various assertions that B. Fuller did
not, in fact, invent the geodesic dome. By and large, I
discounted these as either revisionist history or simply East German
propaganda. Recently, however, I read a superbly documented
piece [an abridged translation of Krausse's *Architecture
from Projection* (I can send copies to anyone interested)]
documenting Dr. Walter Bauersfeld's construction of a geodesic dome
atop the Zeiss optical factory in Jena, Germany, in the 1920's. This
design was patented by the Carl Zeiss Company, and was apparently
written up repeatedly in New York newspapers in the 1920's -- a time
when B. Fuller was living in New York.

Comparing the specs of Fuller's original geodesic dome patent with
Bauersfeld's design, they are virtually identical. Indeed, as an
attorney who prosecutes and defends patent infringement cases
regularly, I have no doubt that Fuller's original patent would
have been invalidated had anyone brought the Bauersfeld / Zeiss
"prior art" to the attention of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
during the life of original Fuller patent.

My question for the members of the list: while he was alive, was
Fuller ever apprised of Dr. Bauersfeld's work, and, if so, what was
his reaction/response? I find no mention of this in any of Fuller's
works, and yet everything I have read about Fuller makes it seem
inconceivable that he would have either grossly plagarized another's
work or, when confronted with evidence of prior invention, failed
to freely acknowledged the fact.

Anybody have the answer?

lkbo...@beerlaw.win.net