Creating a New Civilization (fwd)

Joe Moore

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95

--

JOE S MOORE joem...@cruzio.com TEL: 408-464-3743
850 PARK AVE, # 3-A FAX: 408-479-0733

Michael R Swanson

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95

> > Creating a New Civilization, Politics of the Third Wave
> > by Alvin & Heidi Tofler
> >
> > An interesting, thin paperback.
> >
> > First Wave was the Agricultural Revolution of 8,000 years ago.
> > Second Wave was the Industrial Revolution
> > Third Wave is the Information age.

Perhaps..but despite all of the lofty visions of a high-tech information
age it does not necessarily mean a better world. First of all, hardly
everyone is going to have access to the information age. It also will
mean less jobs as new inovations to cut labor are created. The
increasing unemployablitily of large segments of people is a crisis that
is going to get worse. How are these people going to participate in this
Tofler vision?

> > Majority Rule, replaced land owner rule with the Manufacturing Era.
> > Now Minority options and freedom is replacing Majority Rule.

What does this mean? Minorities are replacing majority rule? What
exactly does this mean?

> > De-Massification and individuation is made possible with computers.

For those that have computers and actually use the computers to access
information - a small fraction of the US population. The mass media
still has more influence over people - and will continue to do so - then
alternative sources.

> > Communication is world wide and crossing borders, everyday. Nationalism
> > is being replaced with world wide trade.

Nationalism is not dying out. And if anything world wide trade is
increasing nationalism due to the poverty it creates in the third world.

> > Control is being decentralized, in Business and government. The Soviet
> > Union fell in part because it was based on centralized control, that was
> > ineffective in adjusting to the changing world.

That's a very simplified reason for the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Soviet Union collapsed because it went bankrupt due to placing more
importance on emphasis on military spending than economic investment.
More killingry and less livingry. If the Soviet Union collapsed due to
centralization does this mean we can expect to see China fall next? Or
Sweden? Or centralized international corporations?

> > The IRAQ Dessert Storm war was between a Second Wave Army and a Third
> > Wave Army. Old beliefs that you can't win a war with information and via
> > AIR are now waning. The Soviet Union had a much larger army but it was
> > organized based Hardware, centralized Control and hence was a Second Wave
> > Force.

Who based their army on the idea that you don't need information nor air
power to win a war? In fact the Soviet army had large air forces through
their nuclear weapons. I don't know what is meant by organized based
hardware. It is true that their army was not organized as well as ours
was due to bad command techniques- nor was the technology as high. Also the
Iraqi army was not
the Soviet Army. They lost their war because they went blind - lack of
information - due to our superior air forces knocking out their
communications. Call it third wave if you like - the key factor was air
power - which could have been done by a second wave army too.

> > Information, unlike materials can be shared to create even greater wealth.
> >
> > Our 'Second Wave' Accounting and TAX systems value Plant and Inventory,
> > but not Intangibles like licenses and Ideas.
> >
> > There is a conflict going on between the Second Wave forces in Power and
> > the Emerging forces of the Third Wave. It will affect, Government
> > Structures, Accounting and Philosophy - and many other things we take for
> > granted.

What this really means is that their is a conflict in government between
liberals and conservatives...Newt Gingrich and his talk of revolution
which really means his belief in the Tofler stuff.

What role do the Tofler's give to workers in third world nations?