Poll shows backlash on gay issues

Sam Damon

Jul 29, 2003, 6:37:25 AM7/29/03
Here is the USA Today/Gallup poll I cited in a previous email about the
increasing acceptance of gays on TV. In contrast to that NYT piece,
Americans are becoming less supportive on gay issues. Sadly, it was
only in May that I posted a Gallup poll showing that Americans were more
gay-positive than ever.

In May, a majority suported equal treatment on virtually every facet --
except gay marriage. And it is this issue that may be dragging down all
gay issues. Analysts think that the latest results may be a reaction to
the Supreme Court Lawrence ruling, which many fear will lead to gay
marriage, as well as the legalization of gay marriages in Canada.

Interestingly, the biggest shift was among African Americans, whose
support for legalizing homosexual relationships fell from 58% in May to
36% today. I have no explanation for such a large national shift among
this group (although in NYC, a popular black City Council member was
killed last week by a gay black political rival -- sort of Harvey
Milk/Dan White in reverse -- possibly inciting localized homophobia).

Also interesting is that 61% of people who attend church "almost weekly"
supported legalizing gay relationships in May. It has fallen to 49%.
In May, I opined that 61% seemed abnormally high among such religious
individuals. I think even 49% seems too high.

Most alarming is that 49% vs 46% now think that homosexuality should not
be considered "an acceptable alternative lifestyle" -- marking the first
time since 1997 that there is more opposition than support.

Clearly, activists have a lot of work to do. The fact that Americans
enjoy watching gays on TV needs to be built upon. And *perhaps*,
proponents of gay marriage need to lay low for a while. As do
proponents of gays in the military. This current wave of blind Jingoist
patriotism does not tolerate challenges to the status quo (which is not
to say that one can't be patriotic and support gays; it's just that
Americans don't see it that way).

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-07-28-poll_x.htm
--
This is message #5530.
(This may fail if your address has changed since you signed
up; if so, or for other assistance, contact <gaynet...@groups.queernet.org>.)

For information about other lists, or to create and manage a list on
a topic that interests you, see <http://groups.queernet.org> for details.
-
Help keep QueerNet and OPG lists on the air and advertising-free --
see <http://groups.queernet.org#donate> to donate.