Statement From Metropolitan Community Churches

Ufm...@aol.com

Jul 29, 2003, 1:08:45 PM7/29/03
A Statement From
Metropolitan Community Churches

by Rev. Elder Don Eastman
Office of the MCC Vice Moderator

July 28, 2003

The international community of Metropolitan Community Churches is saddened by
the decision of the Cathedral of Hope MCC on Sunday, July 28, 2003, to
disaffiliate from the MCC denomination.

According to preliminary reports provided by the Board of Directors of
Cathedral of Hope, of the more than 1100 members present, 89% voted to disaffiliate,
with 11% voting to retain affiliation with Metropolitan Community Churches.

The Cathedral of Hope was a vital member of the MCC movement for more than 30
years, and we deeply value the passion and ministry they brought to the gay,
lesbian, bisexual and transgender community as part of the MCC Fellowship.

Though the Cathedral of Hope has explored options for disaffiliation in
previous years, MCC deeply regrets the loss of relationship with the congregation
of the Cathedral of Hope. We also affirm the congregation's choice to leave the
global MCC Fellowship and pray God's abundant blessings on their future
ministry.

The events of this past week have prompted inquiries from local MCC leaders
and members -- questions which we are committed to answering openly.

What happens to those who voted to remain with MCC?
For members of Cathedral of Hope who wish to remain affiliated with
Metropolitan Community Churches, there will be several options.

There is the option of joining one of the other MCC congregations located in
the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex.

Another option is the formation of an MCC congregation to carry on the
33-year vision and legacy of MCC Dallas. Cathedral of Hope MCC had a magnificent
ministry built on a solid foundation laid over a period of 20 years as MCC
Dallas. Through a succession of pastors, the congregation has been one of the
largest churches in the MCC Fellowship since the mid-70's.

An informational and organizational meeting will be held at the Holiday Inn
Select Dallas Northpark, 10650 N. Central Expressway on Tuesday evening, July
29, from 6-9 PM. The denomination is committed to providing support and
encouragement to those congregants who wish to continue their legacy of ministry. A
similar meeting will also be held in Oklahoma City.

How will fairness be achieved for the members of Cathedral of Hope?
At MCC's 2001 General Conference, your lay delegates and clergy voted that in
the event a local congregation chooses to disaffiliate, the church's net
assets are to be proportioned between those voting to disaffiliate and those
voting to maintain affiliation in proportion to the percentage of each group's
vote. This provides for fairness for all who have contributed to and helped build
a local church ministry. It is our expectation that this mutual covenant will
be honored.

MCC officials are prepared to enter into discussions with the leadership of
the Cathedral of Hope over implementation of MCC bylaws' provisions related to
disaffiliation. It is our prayer that these discussions will be amicable and
will serve the best interests and further the future ministry of all parties
involved.

What financial impact will this vote have on the MCC movement?
In 2002, Cathedral of Hope contributed 7% of the tithe income to the MCC
denominational budget. MCC concluded 2002 in a solid financial position, which
will assist in absorbing the impact of this loss. With this positive financial
position, the addition of modest budget modifications, and the willingness of
churches and individuals to generously increase their levels of giving, MCC will
be able to sustain its current level of ministry without any reduction in
resources or services.

The Finance Team of the MCC Board of Administration will meet in August to
review additional options. It is expected that the denomination will complete
2003 without any reduction in staffing or the interruption of current services.

_______________________

During the past 35 years, it has been our great joy to welcome many new and
vibrant congregations into Metropolitan Community Churches -- and on occasion,
to bid farewell to a church that has felt called to a different path of
ministry. We honor the Cathedral's call to a different place of service and we pray
God's blessing on the friends and members of the Cathedral of Hope as they
close one chapter of ministry and prepare to open a new chapter of service.

In Christ,

Rev. Elder Don Eastman
MCC Vice Moderator

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT
Jim Birkitt, MCC Communications Director
MCC Communications Department
8714 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. (310) 360-8640, Ext. 226
E-Mail: in...@MCCchurch.org

--
This is message #5532.
(This may fail if your address has changed since you signed
up; if so, or for other assistance, contact <gaynet...@groups.queernet.org>.)

For information about other lists, or to create and manage a list on
a topic that interests you, see <http://groups.queernet.org> for details.
-
Help keep QueerNet and OPG lists on the air and advertising-free --
see <http://groups.queernet.org#donate> to donate.