Myth: the Fallen Lords

Kasey Chang

Oct 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/20/97

I was lucky to be one of the thousand beta testers picked for the Beta 4
program. Since the game didn't come with a non-disclosure statement, I'll
talk about it. :)

Myth can be best thought of as Warcraft 2 meets Panzer General. It is
TOTALLY tactical, you build NOTHING in this game. All units are given to
you. Except this game takes place in FULL 3D.

That's right, FULL 3D. Hills and gullies, rivers, ponds, deserts... Sneak
through the gullies upon your enemies... Hide underwater (for certain
units who doesn't need air, such as undead). The arrows and bombs go
further if you are on a hill... And veteran units (the ones that survived
multiple scenarios and scored many kills) are VERY powerful...

So how does it play?

Pretty well, esp. in multiplayer mode, even over high-latency networks
like AOL (but NOT during busy hours).

Right now bungie.net is crashing A LOT, but when it is working, four to
eight players can join the same game, and it's pretty amazing to watch
the units move along the battlefield... You even have FORMATIONS! (10
preset ones) Multiple scenario possibilities (king of the hill, get all
the balls, last man on the hill, plus many other) teams vs free-for-all
slugfest...

The units are interesting too. Warriors, Beserkers, Trolls, G'ouls,
Wirths (similar to dwarf demolition in War2), Dwarf bombers (tosses
explosive bombs), archers/javeliners...

So far the problems are:

1) The bungie.net server REALLY crashes a lot, hopefully that'll get
fixed before this thing launches, though playing via TEN or direct IP to
IP is a possibility

2) You can't ZOOM out very far in battlefield view, not far enough in my
taste, not enough to really look over a hill.

3) In the multiplayer scenario, frequently it's just a massive slugfest
in the final 60 seconds of the game, since no one wants to be the first
to get the flag and be in the disadvantaged terrain (the flag is in a
pond covered by THREE hills).

4) So far no way to limit your units to only one side or the other, it's
all "mixed" for the moment. You have a default setup, and if the starter
allows it, you can exchange some units for others in a point system. It
would be more interesting if the pts can be varied as well.

As this is a beta, I didn't exactly get a manual, but still, if there's
any questions about Myth that I can answer for you, don't hesitate to
ask.