Rsch Firm Says DEC Fastest-Growing PC Maker 1

beau...@mr4dec.enet.dec.com

Jun 18, 1992, 2:35:57 PM6/18/92
to es...@ubvm.bitnet
I N T E R O F F I C E M E M O R A N D U M

Date: 18-Jun-1992 02:32pm EDT
From: Angie Beaudette @MRO
BEAUDETTE.ANGIE
Dept: Education Marketing
Tel No: 297-7001

TO: Remote Addressee ( _DECWRL::"ESL-L%UBVM.BITNET" )

Subject: Rsch Firm Says DEC Fastest-Growing PC Maker

Bob Schneider
Digital Equipment Corporation
(508) 480-4620

RESEARCH FIRM SAYS

DIGITAL IS FASTEST-GROWING PC MAKER

MAYNARD, Mass. -- June 18, 1992 -- Digital Equipment Corp. is the
fastest-growing PC vendor in the U.S., according to Computer
Intelligence, a La Jolla, Calif.-based market research firm.
Computer Intelligence's PC Market Monitor, a monthly report
scheduled for publication June 25, surveyed 27,000 corporate
computer buyers in the past six months. The report compared PC
purchasing activity in March, April, and May to the purchasing
activity in December, January, and February. Digital enjoyed a
faster growth rate than any other vendor, the report said.
"This report is significant because it is based on such a large
cross-section of end-user buying activity," said Dan Ness, senior
industry analyst, Computer Intelligence.
"No other vendor has grown as rapidly and consistently as
Digital, which has jumped from number ten, to number five, to number
one in the past three months. The industry has been watching
Digital to assess how well an established vendor can re-orient its
approach to the market. This report is the first solid evidence
that Digital is succeeding," Ness said.

"Digital has ramped up PC sales at an explosive growth rate
since we introduced Desktop Direct in January," said Jay H. Atlas,
vice president, U.S. Channels, Digital Equipment Corp. "We are
successful because we provide the desktop computer manager with much
more than just a cost-competitive PC. We can give them one-stop
shopping for all their desktop computing needs, including a wide
variety of hardware, applications and networking software, as well
as multivendor service and operations management."
Computer Intelligence, founded in 1969, is the leading provider
of primary market research and analysis to the computer and
communications industry. Computer Intelligence's products and
services are used world-wide by product managers, market
researchers, as well as sales and marketing executives. Its primary
data collection is the result of over 30,000 completed in-depth
telephone interviews per month of establishments in the U.S.,
Canada, and Europe.
Digital Equipment Corporation, headquartered in Maynard,
Massachusetts, is the leading worldwide supplier of networked
computer systems, software and services. Digital pioneered and
leads the industry in interactive, distributed and multivendor
computing. Digital and its partners deliver the power to use the
best integrated solutions - from desktop to data center - in open
information environments.
####
CORP/92/703