Counting Contacts for the ESL

Jack Suess, UMBC ACS Staff, 410-455-2582

Jun 11, 1992, 5:20:00 PM6/11/92

Historically, we have been allowed to specify three VMS contacts and
three Ultrix contacts on our ESL contract. The argument was that an
individual contact could call either VMS or Ultrix support. We have
now been informed that each VMS and Ultrix contact counts as one unit.
Thus with the Three contacts we can have one VMS and two Ultrix contacts
or any combination thereof.

I was curious if this is 1) the "correct" interpretation (our Dec
support people are very good so likely it is), and 2) is this the way
contacts are handled at other sites.

thanks,
jack suess

lte...@fsoa.enet.dec.com

Jun 12, 1992, 9:59:57 AM6/12/92
to es...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu, jack%umb...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu
Jack,

agreement, the answer is 3 contacts. These 3 contacts may be any combination
to cover your VMS and ULTRIX systems. In addition, an additional 3 contacts
may be purchase at $2400/each if more coverage is required.

If you need further clarification, please let me know.

Regards,

Linda Testa
ESL Program Manager

Mark H. Wood

Jun 12, 1992, 11:05:00 AM6/12/92
*sigh* The answer I've seen is not clear at all. Can an individual contact
talk to any team? Or does the customer have to designate separate VMS and
Ultrix contact names, and then (for example) sit and fume if the Ultrix
contacts are out of town and the VMS contacts are sitting idle while Ultrix is
burning down? (Or v.v.)

If one person handles both VMS and Ultrix problems, is he paid for twice? He
still only handles 40 hours' worth of problems per week. (In a slow week,
anyway. :-)

Presumably the same answers apply if you have any mix of VMS, Ultrix, and
PATHWORKS....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark H. Wood, Lead Analyst/Programmer +1 317 274 0749 [@disclaimer@]
Internet: IMH...@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU BITNET: IMHW400@INDYVAX

Harry Nicholos

Jun 12, 1992, 11:32:00 AM6/12/92
Mark H. Wood lamented...

>*sigh* The answer I've seen is not clear at all. Can an individual contact
>talk to any team? Or does the customer have to designate separate VMS and
>Ultrix contact names, and then (for example) sit and fume if the Ultrix
>contacts are out of town and the VMS contacts are sitting idle while Ultrix is
>burning down? (Or v.v.)

Mark,

We've installed DSNlink on our 8700 and all teams and product (VMS, Ultrix, &
Pathworks) that we are allowed to use are available. I am the primary contact
for both VMS & Ultrix. The other two authorized contacts also use this tool and

we never (hardly) place a phone call. So I guess the answer is that you don't
have to specify separate contacts for separate product lines.

>If one person handles both VMS and Ultrix problems, is he paid for twice? He
>still only handles 40 hours' worth of problems per week. (In a slow week,
>anyway. :-)
>
>Presumably the same answers apply if you have any mix of VMS, Ultrix, and
>PATHWORKS....

Cheers,
Harry Nicholos
Harry Nicholos |>>Not always correct, but never in doubt<<
VMS Systems Programmer | Harry_N...@ncsu.edu
Computing Center | h...@ncsuvax.bitnet
North Carolina State University | (919) 515-5497