Digital and USL Announce Cooperation on Open Tech. 1

beau...@mr4dec.enet.dec.com

Jun 17, 1992, 2:56:25 PM6/17/92
to es...@ubvm.bitnet
I N T E R O F F I C E M E M O R A N D U M

Date: 17-Jun-1992 02:54pm EDT
From: Angie Beaudette @MRO
BEAUDETTE.ANGIE
Dept: Education Marketing
Tel No: 297-7001

TO: Remote Addressee ( _decwrl::"esl-l%ubvm.bitnet" )

Subject: Digital and USL Announce Cooperation on Open Tech.

Linda Pugliano
(603) 881-0811
(Software Products Group)

Bob Price
(508) 493-4297
(UNIX-based Systems and Software)

DIGITAL AND USL ANNOUNCE COOPERATION ON OPEN TECHNOLOGIES

SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- June 16, 1992 -- Digital Equipment Corporation
and UNIX System Laboratories (USL) today announced their intention
to provide a consistent set of open system interface definitions
across UNIX System V platforms and the many platforms supported by
Digital's Network Application Support (NAS) program. Digital will
work with USL to supply a set of NAS middleware packages on top of
System V Release 4.2, providing interoperability to the thousands of
applications that are NAS compliant. In addition, USL and Digital
will be working with their technology partners to combine Digital's
Alpha technology with UNIX System V.4 (SVR4).
According to David Stone, Digital's vice president, Software
Product Group, "The coordination of efforts that USL and Open
Software Foundation (OSF) are announcing today is critical to the
industry achieving a consistent set of open systems standards.
Digital's NAS packages are the first and most comprehensive set of
products that implement these standard interfaces across multiple
platforms."

"In addition," said Stone, "we are happy to add SVR4.2 to the
set of platforms on which NAS packages will run, and we are also
pleased with USL's interest in a port of SVR4.2 on Alpha. Alpha and
NAS are the top priority programs within Digital to implement our
commitment to standards and open systems, spanning from chip
technology to application programming interfaces. The cooperation
between Digital, USL and OSF will result in the first coordinated
set of programming interfaces across SVR4 and OSF/1."
The Alpha program will provide systems with leadership
performance based on an architecture that will be viable well into
the 21st century. The Alpha architecture from Digital is designed to
grow in performance by a factor of one thousand over its life cycle.
Alpha will be the foundation for an entire series of computer
systems, ranging from portable desktop devices to massively parallel
processing super-computers running multiple operating environments.
For Alpha, Digital has announced its commitment to support VMS,
OSF/1 and Windows/NT operating systems.
USL's President and CEO, Roel Pieper, said, "Digital has made
great strides in driving common standards-based interfaces across
heterogeneous platforms with their NAS program. We look forward to
working with Digital as SVR4.2 joins the ranks of NAS supported
platforms." Pieper added, "Our goal with UNIX SVR4.2 is to have it
run on every popular platform. Alpha's high performance and advanced
architecture make it an ideal choice for the adaptation of SVR4.2.
We are excited about the solution that can be offered by SVR4.2 on
such a powerful platform family."

Digital Equipment Corporation, headquartered in Maynard,
Massachusetts, is the leading worldwide supplier of networked
computer systems, software and services. Digital pioneered and
leads the industry in interactive, distributed and multivendor
computing. Digital and its partners deliver the power to use the
best integrated solutions - from desktop to datacenter - in open
information environments.
####

Note to Editors: The Digital logo and VMS are trademarks of Digital
Equipment Corporation.

OSF and OSF/1 are registered trademarks of Open
Software Foundation, Inc.

System V is a trademark of American Telephone and
Telegraph Company.

UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX System
Laboratories, Inc.

Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

CORP/92/693