Confirmation of VAX/VMS license?

ST...@kgs.mm.uky.edu

Jun 9, 1992, 9:58:00 PM6/9/92
>I talked with my sales critter and checked the latest CSLG listing and
>found that the VAX/VMS license which is provided is for an upgrade from
>2-user to unlimited.

I asked the same question to Betsy at the last DECUS symposium. Her reply was
that the current License is from 2 to 8, BUT look at future licensing to
change to unlimited. This is not in any way a commitment on DEC's part to
do this, rather they are working towards this goal.

The bottom line, legally you cannot have more than 8 users on the VAXstation
4000 mod 60 (technically, well that is another issue...) using the CSLG PAK.

By the way, I also asked if that 8 user limit was figured by counting all of
the sub-processes a DEC Windows user might have. I never did get an answer
that was easy to understand, but I am not worried about it at the present
time.

steve cordiviola

Marc A. Shannon

Jun 9, 1992, 5:51:55 PM6/9/92
We are contemplating purchasing a VAXstation 4000 model 60 for
timesharing use and the question came up about VMS licensing. My
thoughts were that the system came with a 2-user license and that the
CSLG gave us an 8-user license (but was set to zero units due to
technical problems of determining the correct number of units for any
particular VAX).

I talked with my sales critter and checked the latest CSLG listing and
found that the VAX/VMS license which is provided is for an upgrade from
2-user to unlimited.

Is this correct?

--Marc

Ta Fuh Chiam

Jun 9, 1992, 9:46:44 PM6/9/92
>We are contemplating purchasing a VAXstation 4000 model 60 for
>timesharing use and the question came up about VMS licensing. My
>thoughts were that the system came with a 2-user license and that the
>CSLG gave us an 8-user license (but was set to zero units due to
>technical problems of determining the correct number of units for any
>particular VAX).

Yes, I think that CSLG allows you to upgrade to 8-user license.

>I talked with my sales critter and checked the latest CSLG listing and
>found that the VAX/VMS license which is provided is for an upgrade from
>2-user to unlimited.
>
>Is this correct?

Not that we know of. The CSLG license PAK on TK50 or whatever media you receive
may have zero unit but your CSLG agreement holds true and prevent you from
making it unlimited. Read your CSLG agreement. It is the binding document.

Ta Fuh Chiam

Ta Fuh Chiam
Ohio University, College of Business Administration / Phone: (614)593-2088
Management Information Systems FAX: (614)593-1388
Copeland Hall 22 INTERNET : ch...@vulcan.cba.ohiou.edu
Athens, Ohio 45701, U.S.A. or : ch...@ouvaxa.ucls.ohiou.edu
BITNET : CHIAM@OUACCVMB
Use my first Internet address if at all possible.
Disclaimer: What I have said are my opinions, not of anyone else.

Marc A. Shannon

Jun 11, 1992, 4:05:57 PM6/11/92
About the DECwindows processes, the technical answer is that they won't
be counted against your license limit.

Both the TW terminals and, I'm pretty sure, the FT devices have a
special "MULTISESSIONS" bit set which tells VMS that users of these
devices are not to be counted against your VMS license.

[Possibilities of using this bit for other means is obviously omitted. :-) ]

--Marc