INTENSIVE ENGLISH COMMUNICATION PROGRAM

Posting

Apr 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/10/98

POSTING:

INTENSIVE ENGLISH COMMUNICATION PROGRAM

THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY
STATE COLLEGE, PENNSYLVANIA

Penn State零 Intensive English Communication program provides the English
language skills needed for effective communication, the academic skills
needed for continued learning, and the adaptation skills needed for living
and interacting effectively in another culture. In a caring, supportive
community of students, we also provide opportunities for students to
practice many of the skills they are acquiring. Each student零 journey is
important; our mission is to make it a successful one.

WHO CAN APPLY TO THE IECP?

Anyone who has a high school diploma and a basic knowledge of English may
apply to the program.

WHEN CAN I BEGIN THE IECP PROGRAM, AND HOW LONG CAN I STUDY?

The IECP has programs that run for three semesters:

- the fall semester, usually from mid-August to mid-December
- the spring semester, usually from early January to early May
- eight weeks in the summer, usually from early June to early August

WHAT KINDS OF CLASSES WILL I TAKE?

Each full-time student takes four classes.

- Speaking and Listening emphasizes understanding and producing language
ranging from the informal to the formal. It also emphasizes language that
occurs in a variety of settings, from talking among friends to the
university classroom.

- Grammar emphasizes the structure of English from the simple to the complex.

- In Reading, students increase their vocabularies, develop their
comprehension, and practice skills such as skimming, scanning, and
inferencing.

- In Writing, students advance, step by step, from writing clear, correct
sentences and composing paragraphs to producing the essays and papers
needed for academic and other purposes. Students spend twenty hours per
week in class or the lab and study for an entire semester or an eight-week
summer session.

WHO WILL MY INSTRUCTORS BE?

IECP instructors have graduate degrees in the Teaching of English to
Speakers of Other Languages. They are highly experienced in cross-cultural
learning, and they understand the cultural adjustments students have to
make.

For complete details and up-to-date information, please visit the Web site at:
http://www.outreach.psu.edu/IntensiveEnglish/

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Intensive English Communication Program
The Pennsylvania State University
301 Boucke Building
University Park PA 16802-5901 USA
Telephone: (814) 865-7550
Fax: (814) 863-5889
E-mail: IE...@cde.psu.edu

a Continuing and Distance Education service of the College of the Liberal Arts

To receive a brochure with registration materials, nationwide, call
1-800-PSU-TODAY (1-800-778-8632) or send us an e-mail with your name,
address, phone number, fax number, and Internet address to
IE...@cde.psu.edu . Please be sure to reference INTENSIVE ENGLISH
COMMUNICATION PROGRAM in all correspondence.

For information about all of Penn State零 upcoming programs, visit our Web
site: http://www.outreach.psu.edu