DSNLINK updates (VMS mgrs- note!)

Kent C Brodie

Jun 5, 1992, 4:39:40 PM6/5/92
Since there's been a lot of talk on this list about DSNlink,
and since MANY of us are running VAX/VMS systems on the internet
(most educational sites do), I thought this was important enough
to post here. I know it's a little out of band of topic, but what the heck...

A really nice DEC engineer who develops DSNlink stuff is LISTENING
to the user community. He wants input from those
WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT (the MOTIF one) PORTED TO VMS.

Read on:

From: m...@chene.cxo.dec.com (Mark Richard Rance)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 92 20:17:21 GMT

|> In article <TREESE.92...@cirocco.crl.dec.com>, tre...@crl.dec.com (Win
Treese) writes...

-
|> Greg Blumers Sverdrup Technology, Inc.
|> VAXcluster Administrator c/o NASA Lewis Research Center
|> (216)433-6777 or FTS 297-6777 Mail Stop 142-2
|> 21000 Brookpark Road
|> uug...@scivax.lerc.nasa.gov Cleveland, OH 44135

-

well, lets take the 'paul vixie' approach to this and take a survey.

since i am in a position to make this happen, please give me some data...

how many folks would like to see the current DSNlink for ULTRIX code
ported to run on VMS? (this, of course, necessitates an internet connection)

and how many of you would be happy enough to have that amount of functionality
that you'd replace the current DSNlink for VMS product with it?

i will compile the data and if the response is great enough i can imagine the
work could get done in a short period of time.

mark

#include <std/disclaimer.h>

to see this

Kent C. Brodie - Sr. Systems Manager InterNet: bro...@fps.mcw.edu
Faculty Physicians & Surgeons uucpNet: fps.mcw.edu!brodie
Medical College of Wisconsin MaBellNet: +1 414 266 5080

"Little bunny FOO-FOO, walkin' through the forest,
scoopin' all the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head.." -childrens song

Charlie Fineberg

Jun 6, 1992, 2:15:19 AM6/6/92
Kent,
Did you mean reply to the net, to you, or to the engineer at DEC?
You did include his address, but I'm assuming to you or the net...

I would absolutely love to extend the functionality of DSNlink to use
the internet as transport medium. No question about it. Since only
DEC phone contacts could actually use the interface (as it stands
right now) I am not so concerned about the specifics of the interface
itself. That is a point and click ITS doesn't do very much for me.
Charlie
--
Charlie Fineberg Office of the Network Coordinator, Washington University
Campus Box 1048, 534 Jolley Hall fine...@wugate.wustl.edu