Community Science K-12 initiative at Caltech

Edtech Editor Hogan

Mar 10, 2014, 8:46:15 AM3/10/14
From: Julius Su [mailto:j...@caltech.edu]

Hi everyone,

I wanted to bring to your attention an initiative ongoing at my university
to develop new educational technologies involving tablets and STEM teaching,
and to invite anyone in the Pasadena / Los Angeles area to attend a free
workshop we are offering the weekend after next (Saturday March 15, 9 am to
2:30 pm).

We started the Community Science Academy program to encourage K-12 students
to participate in community relevant research, while at the same time using
technology to make large scale collaborative research and teaching possible.

To this end, we are working on two particular technologies:
-- a collaborative learning app (which I am codeveloping --
skieslearn.com) that makes it easy for teachers and students to create
lessons together, share data, quiz each other, etc.
-- a series of DIY open-source instruments that link wirelessly to iPads,
so that they are transformed into field instruments. These include pH
meters, oxygen sensors, colorimeters, etc. Students can for example embark
on environmental surveys, and share their data within or between classrooms.

If anyone has an interest, please visit our website: csa.caltech.edu for
more information and registrations.

Sincerely,

Julius
co-director, CSA@Caltech

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.
SIGNOFF EDTECH