network admin? or hire out?

EDTECH Editor-Hogan

Jan 31, 2014, 9:52:34 PM1/31/14
From: "Katherine Fennema" <kfen...@vischool.org>

Hello to all!

I am hoping you are willing to tell me what you currently do at your
school as far as network administrator work goes. Do you have a network
administrator, a network engineer, or do you have a company that watches
over your network?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice/information.

Kate Fennema
Convent of the Visitation School
Tech Integrationist

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.
SIGNOFF EDTECH

Edtech Editor Hogan

Feb 3, 2014, 9:28:32 AM2/3/14
From: James Beal [mailto:be...@somonauk.net]

I do everything. I have an engineer that comes in as needed (perhaps 40-50
hours a year).

James Beal, Ed.D.
Director of Technology
Somonauk Community Unit School #432
501 West Market Street
Somonauk, IL 60552
815-498-2314 x240

Edtech Editor Hogan

Feb 5, 2014, 8:59:20 AM2/5/14
From: Jackie Byford [mailto:blackberrypear...@gmail.com]

I work in a large district Klein ISD.
We have our own Network Operations Center with a Network Administrator and
the following....

Information Technology Facts

- Help desk -- Closed 39,560 tickets for 2010-2011 school year
- Staff -- 45 employees supporting helpdesk, computer technicians, server
analysts, network engineers, security technicians, application analysts,
and application development, three administrators.
- Manage wireless air space for guaranteed connectivity. Support 5ghz
for wireless data and 2.4 ghz for wireless voice.
- Internet bandwidth of up to 350 mb.
- Fiber connectivity to all campuses and auxiliary buildings in the
district. Redundant fiber connectivity to six core sites.

The IT Department Manages Approximately:

- 7500 + telephones
- 2000 + wireless access points
- 35,000 + computer/printer devices
- 1500 + security devices
- 350 + virtual/physical servers
- 127 + terabytes of storage for data and video
- 200 + software programs
- 1100 + routers/switches
- 30,000 + data/voice cabling
- 150 miles of single mode fiber