Call for Papers: Issues and Trends in Educational Technology

EDTECH Editor-Hogan

Jan 31, 2014, 9:49:41 PM1/31/14
From: "Lyman, Eugene W - (ewlyman)" <ewl...@email.arizona.edu>

Issues and Trends in Educational Technology is a peer-reviewed open access
journal focusing on current issues and trends in the design, development,
use, and assessment of educational technology. In addition to original
research, the journal features book, article and product reviews, as well
as explorations and analyses of educational technology theory, praxis, and
practice at all levels.
Areas of special interest include:

• instructional design, curriculum integration, and innovative pedagogy.
• online learning, distance learning, and hybrid online/classroom learning.
• user experience design and human-computer interaction.
• technological literacy.
• emerging technologies.

As an online journal, Issues and Trends in Educational Technology is
fundamentally multimodal. Authors are encouraged to include digital media,
applications, games, simulations, and similar material as components of
submitted manuscripts.

Issues and Trends in Educational Technology is published twice yearly by
the University of Arizona South and the University of Arizona Libraries.
Additional details, submission guidelines and our online submission system
are at http://itet.uair.arizona.edu.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

We recommend that submissions be in the range of 3,000-8,000 words.
Manuscripts outside this range are acceptable if justified by the scope
and quality of the article.
Manuscripts must be submitted in the format described by the Publication
Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th edition (APA style).
Detailed guidelines are located at
http://journals.uair.arizona.edu/index.php/itet/about/submissions.

EDITORIAL TEAM

Editor

Betul Ozkan-Czerkawski

University of Arizona South

Associate Professor

Educational Technology Program

bco...@email.arizona.edu

Managing Editor

Eugene W. Lyman, M.S.

University of Arizona

ewl...@email.arizona.edu

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.
SIGNOFF EDTECH

Edtech Editor Hogan

Feb 10, 2014, 1:17:59 PM2/10/14
From: M.O. Thirunarayanan [mailto:th...@fiu.edu]

Dear members of EDTECH,

If you have the time, I request you to read a news item about the commentary
"Is the Use of Untested Technologies in Classrooms Unethical?" at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/02/09/is-it-unethic
al-to-use-untested-technology-in-the-classroom/

I would like to hear your reactions to and comments about the commentary.

You may also post your comments online at the above URL.

Thank you.

Thiru.
(M.O.Thirunarayanan)

Edtech Editor Hogan

Feb 18, 2014, 9:14:58 AM2/18/14
From: Randy Edwards [mailto:redw...@golgotha.net]

> I would like to hear your reactions to and comments about the commentary.

The book's author, Larry Cuban, hits on a note that many in EdTech do not
want to hear or acknowledge. After years of lobbying to promote EdTech and
after much money spent, EdTech now has momentum and inertia. Tech companies
and popular culture support this with their mantra about technology -- which
always, it seems, evolves in positive ways and *never* in a negative
direction.

The moral/ethical aspects raised by Cuban about using untested technology
is one I have not pondered a great deal. Teachers try new ideas all the time
in their classrooms, but few of those ideas have the backing of an entire
industry nor are their experiments anywhere near as costly as the ones done
in EdTech. I have to immediately draw a link to the millions of dollars Peru
sunk into the OLPC initiative, a program pushed by hype and which appears to
have delivered very little on its promises and the millions of dollars sunk
into it.

From the article:
> What makes this unethical (but not illegal) is that school boards and
> superintendents made the decision to contract with the for-profit firm
> of Channel 1 knowing that for two minutes a day, commercials would be
> shown to a captive audience.

Is this really any difference to requiring the use of web sites who push
advertising onto students?

I think the article's author is making a weak point here. In our
corporate- controlled society and culture, we need to maintain hard and fast
lines about commercialization, and public schools and our gov'ts across the
country are failing in this task to the detriment of us all.

On one last point, I'd love to read Cuban's book, as I have long been
critical of the cyclical nature of "change" in many aspects of education
(e.g.
whole-word reading verus phonics-based reading) and I'd be curious to learn
more of his thoughts. Unfortunately, Amazon's (and/or Harvard Education
Press') price for his book is high enough ($28 for a paperback?) to prompt
me to wait until I run across it somewhere.

Regards,
.
Randy

--
"It used to be that brands were formed from people's desires; now it's the
people that are being formed according to the desires of the brands." --