LD students, writing, & computers - Survey

Susanne Tilney

Dec 6, 1994, 3:51:11 PM12/6/94
I am doing a project in which I am looking at ways
teachers help learning disabled students learn to communicate
their ideas through writing. Do you have any learning
disabled students in your classes? Do your students use
computers as a tool to help them generate written thoughts?
If you can answer "yes" to both questions
and you would be willing to answer the survey below and send it to my
email address, I will send you the results of my study when it is
finished. I have posted this on several lists and apologize for any
cross posting you have received.
I am a Ph.D. student in Special Education in the joint doctoral
program at U.C. Berkeley and San Francisco State University. I am
excited to hear your thoughts!
I appreciate your hard pressed time enormously.
Many thanks for your help.

Susanne Tilney
sti...@garnet.berkeley.edu

SURVEY ON THE USE OF COMPUTERS FOR WRITING BY LEARNING DISABLED STUDENTS

I GENERAL QUESTIONS:

1. How big is your school?
2. Which grades does it include?
3. Would you describe your school as: a) urban b) suburban c) rural
4. How would you describe your school's population based on ethnic and
class considerations?
5. How would you characterize parent and/or community participation in
your school?

II BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON YOUR LEARNING DISABLED STUDENTS:

1. How many students do you teach?
2. How many are learning disabled and have trouble completing writing
assignments?
3. In what grades are your learning disabled students with writing
difficulties?
4. For which subjects do you ask your learning disabled students with
writing difficulties to write?

III HARDWARE:

1. What type of computers do your students use?
2. What role do laptops play in your students' writing?

IV SOFTWARE:

1. What software do your students use for writing? Is it successful?
Why or why not?
2. Do your students enter your class knowing how to type? If not, how do
you introduce them to typing?
3. What expectations do you have for your students by the end of the year
in terms of typing skills and software mastery?

V WRITING INSTRUCTION IN GENERAL:

1. How would you characterize your approach to teaching writing?
2. What writers or books inform your ideas on how best to teach kids writing?
3. What really WORKS in your classroom that others might be able to use too?

VI BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON WRITING ASSIGNMENTS:

1. What proportion of class time is devoted to writing?
A) 10 %
B) 20%
C) 30%
D) 40%
E) 50%
F) > 50%
2. What types of tasks do you assign? (Please give an example of a
typical assignment or two and describe how long each might take to
complete from start to finish.)

VII HOW IS WRITING TIME STRUCTURED ENVIRONMENTALLY:

1. How is the room set up for writing assignments? (For example does
each student work independently at his/her desk? If so, how are the
desks arranged - in rows, in a horseshoe? Do kids work in groups
around a table? Are they scattered on the floor? Around computers?
Are there different areas for different tasks?)
2. Is writing time silent or filled with chatter?_________
If students talk, what type of talk predominates?

VIII COMPUTER USE FOR WRITING BY ALL STUDENTS:

1. Do students use computers for all/most/some for their writing assignments?
2. On a rating of 1-5 where 5 is "always" and 1 is "never":
Students use computers for
A) brainstorming ____
B) planning _____
C) composing ____
D) revising ____
E) final drafts ____
3. What is the ratio of students to computers?
4. What is the role of peer mentoring when using computers for writing?
(If applicable, would you describe the role of peer tutoring
between the following?)
A) LD and Non-LD
B) LD and LD
C) Non-LD and Non-LD
5. Do all students work on computers in a room other than their regular
classroom? ____ What impact does this have on the
A) learning environment?
B) and on lesson planning?
6. Do other adults work with the students and their writing on the
computers?____ If so, what role do they play?
7. In what ways are computers a helpful tool for learning disabled
students? Why?
8. In what ways do computers cause problems for learning disabled
students? Why?
9. Do students use the computers for email? _____ For accessing the
internet? _____ If so, what do you see as the effects?

IX IN CLASSES OF MIXED LD AND NON-LD STUDENTS:

Do you teach classes where learning disabled students are mainstreamed
with non-learning disabled students? If the answer is yes,
please answer the following questions.
1. Do your learning disabled students travel to a room that separates
them from their non-learning disabled peers in order to use a computer?
A) If so, to which room do they go and who is there, if anyone,
to give them help or support?
B) How often do they leave?
C) On average, for how long are they gone?
D) How do you think non-learning disabled peers view the access
to computers that learning disabled students have?

X ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

1. What particular strengths does your school have that promotes learning
to write? (school newspaper, daily journal writing, parental tutoring,
visiting authors, class produced books or plays.......)
2. How could your school provide a more nurturing environment for
learning to write?
3. How would you characterize your thoughts and/or feelings towards using
computers?
4. Within which age group do you fit? A) 20-25 B) 26-30 C) 31-35
D) 36-40 E) 41-45 F) 46-50 G) 51-55 H) 56-60 I) 61-65
J) >65
5. I have posted this survey on several listservs, although hopefully
not several times in your mailbox. Where did you find this survey?
6. Any additional thoughts?......
7. May I contact you directly if I have any questions?

Many thanks for your patience, time, and help.
Sincerely yours,

Susanne Tilney
sti...@garnet.berkeley.edu

Kathleen Airhart, Coordinator Disability Services

Dec 7, 1994, 2:38:37 PM12/7/94
1. 8000 students
2. university all levels
3. c
4. 4 % minority

genie-po...@geis.com

Dec 8, 1994, 12:20:00 AM12/8/94
Original Msg Id: Not Found
genie-postmaster response to your message

Subject: LD students, writing, & computers - Survey
System: QUIK-COMM
Date: Thu 8-Dec-94 5:20

delivered to all recipients with NO exceptions.

kalyan....@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2013, 9:03:45 AM8/10/13
Contact for advisor : +91 9177522892

Web Design Hyderabad has a great demand and much more competition, But many of companies are not able to provide good service for customers, The problem might be because of design quality, not providing dynamic works like contact form or may be client expecting more work with very low cost.

To work with Web Design in Hyderabad, A designer should more honest with the client, you have to be explain the work of cost exactly, If not a designer will be struggled one day with client, Every one knows a designer can do any work but it takes time right, We have to cost as per our time

web design companies in hyderabad

Web design history

The Hypertext concept was invented by Ted Nelson in 60s, however it was used only for some decades after. During 1992 to 1994 other developers started adding up their own bits of HTML codes. HTML 1 tags and the HTML 2 born. As internet faster now the Web designers are putting more HTML capabilities. In 1995 more HTML tags have appeared and HTMl 3 was born. Now designers have an lot of option to use HTML B tables and style sheets and many more. They also have animated images, and Flash also introduced. It changed the whole landscape of web design from static to dynamic.

The first web site published in the World Wide Web history at sometime in August of 1981. It was some 30 years ago, however the Internet born in the sixties. It wasn’t fast as today. However it was capable in transferring information from one computer to another. Tim Berners was the first person who invented the World Wide Web. Tim Berners is British computer scientist. The First website launched in year 1990. on December 25 1990 with the help of Robert Cailliau and young student at CERN, Tim Berners implemented first successful communication between a Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) patron and server via Internet.
www.web-design-hyderabad.in/seo-course-in-neredmet/