All:Multi-Vue/GUIB help needed

J. William Weed

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

HI???...;{j=...After spending one session getting Multi-Vue up
about five years ago, glancing at it for a few minutes, I
dismissed it as a bit excessive for the CoCo (and, of no real
benefit beyond eye-candy)...the usual BS plaguing most consumer
computers: reach exceeding grasp; expectations way beyond
realistic capabilities. Although I have managed to avoid
wasting time on it (as I suspected it would require more time
for its care and feeding than it was worth) until now, Shanghai
from RTSI requires the excess baggage of not only Multi-Vue, but
also GUIB.

If anyone has ever been able to get this Shanghai configured to
run on a hard disk system, I would certainly appreciate hearing
therefrom: Shawn Driscoll, Brother Jeremy? It might be another
five years before I can justify spending another evening
on Multi-Vue's presumptions. As much as I hate to re-boot, I
love Shanghai enough to simply use the ROM pack if necessary
until my usual two or three CoCos are all plugged in, one doing
only games.

***CC3Disk from RTSI: Neither the edition #9 to #11 nor the
#9 to #10 (part of PCDOS) patches purporting to make CC3Disk
capable of non-OS-9 floppy I/O leave it capable of _writing_
OS-9 floppies properly. Has anyone ever been here before or
have a (dmode?) clue?

Sundays are for SysGens for awhile yet here at Weed<WW>Ware,
with some ten years of catching up on OS-9 to do (unplugged
for no particular reason).

Sincerely,
J* Wm* Weed

<WW> ;{j= J*<WW> <WW> ;{j= <WW> J*<WW> ;{j= <WW>
Tandy/TRS Color Computer & Mod 16; 6809/68K ASM, C, BASIC; OS-9, UNIX
(408)993-2648 P.O. Box #5105 San Jose, CA 95l50
<WW> JxWx...@PrimeNet.com <WW>
<WW> "proto-Web" site: use "finger"; feel free to Unix "talk" <WW>
<WW> > > > [ (WinDoze '95 = Macintosh '89) < OS-9 '86 ] < < < <WW>

Robert Gault

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

J. William Weed wrote:

> HI???.... Shanghai

> from RTSI requires the excess baggage of not only Multi-Vue, but
> also GUIB.
>
> If anyone has ever been able to get this Shanghai configured to
> run on a hard disk system, I would certainly appreciate hearing
> therefrom...

I have been running this version of Shanghai for OS-9 for some years
on a hard drive system. Normally I run it from MultiVue but a recent
version, 1.2,can be run directly from OS-9. Here is some info from
another
user of the game.
Create a script file which loads runB, gfx2, syscall, inkey, guib,
and shangai. Open a type 8 window and enter control -e (I find
control in interactive mode works better RG) to get a mouse pointer.
Fonts and stdptrs must have been merged; the startup file is a good
place for this. Chd to your shanghai directory and enter shanghai.
Gerard Gubbels

Here is the aif file aif.sha attributes wr which is located in my MVUE
directory.

shanghai

/dd/cmds/icons/shangai.ic
0
8
40
24
1
0

The same directory contains the three .dat files: shang1.dat,
shang2.dat,
and shang3.dat. My commands directory contains tmode, guib, shangai, and
runB.
Gfx2, syscall, and inkey are merged with runB. As indicated above,
shangai.ic
is in my icons directory.

Either method of running the game, MVUE or OS-9, works very well.

Robert

star...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2015, 6:58:56 PM9/2/15
So where can I find shang2.dat?

On Sunday, March 30, 1997 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, J. William Weed wrote:
> HI???...;{j=...After spending one session getting Multi-Vue up
> about five years ago, glancing at it for a few minutes, I
> dismissed it as a bit excessive for the CoCo (and, of no real
> benefit beyond eye-candy)...the usual BS plaguing most consumer
> computers: reach exceeding grasp; expectations way beyond
> realistic capabilities. Although I have managed to avoid
> wasting time on it (as I suspected it would require more time
> for its care and feeding than it was worth) until now, Shanghai
> from RTSI requires the excess baggage of not only Multi-Vue, but
> also GUIB.
>
> If anyone has ever been able to get this Shanghai configured to
> run on a hard disk system, I would certainly appreciate hearing
> therefrom: Shawn Driscoll, Brother Jeremy? It might be another
> five years before I can justify spending another evening
> on Multi-Vue's presumptions. As much as I hate to re-boot, I
> love Shanghai enough to simply use the ROM pack if necessary
> until my usual two or three CoCos are all plugged in, one doing
> only games.
>
> ***CC3Disk from RTSI: Neither the edition #9 to #11 nor the
> #9 to #10 (part of PCDOS) patches purporting to make CC3Disk
> capable of non-OS-9 floppy I/O leave it capable of _writing_
> OS-9 floppies properly. Has anyone ever been here before or
> have a (dmode?) clue?
>
> Sundays are for SysGens for awhile yet here at Weed<WW>Ware,
> with some ten years of catching up on OS-9 to do (unplugged
> for no particular reason).
>

> Sincerely,
> J* Wm* Weed
>
> <WW> ;{j= J*<WW> <WW> ;{j= <WW> J*<WW> ;{j= <WW>
> Tandy/TRS Color Computer & Mod 16; 6809/68K ASM, C, BASIC; OS-9, UNIX
> (408)993-2648 P.O. Box #5105 San Jose, CA 95l50
> <WW> <WW>

Stephen H. Fischer

Sep 2, 2015, 9:08:26 PM9/2/15
Message Ignored, no one is here. [CoCo] will get a post soon.

SHF

<star...@gmail.com> wrote in message