Rumors or for you soulless Brits, Rumours

Kristen Mahan-Moutaw

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Okay, so I was watching ET - and I remember that my Dad told me that Speilberg approached M&M to be the bait for our favorite extra terrestrial and they refused. Therefore, Ellllleeeeeeoooooot used Reese's Pieces. Is this true? It doesn't seem so as even then, who would say no to Speilberg?

On to rumor two - still about ET - did Neil Diamond really ask to do a song about the movie and when turned down came up with the beloved ballad (yes, Robert Berry's favorite song) "Turn on Your Heartlight"?

And finally, my Dad also told me that Return of the Jedi was once called Revenge of the Jedi (this is pretty common knowledge) and that before Lucas made the final decision on the name, they printed several hundred posters reading Revenge and now they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is my Dad nuts?

Any other rumors out there someone would like to dispell.

-Kristen

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Kristen Mahan-Moutaw
k...@TheCNI.org
Colorado Neurological Institute
Englewood, CO USA
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Liquo...@aol.com

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
In a message dated 4/27/99 6:55:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, K...@THECNI.ORG
writes:

<< Okay, so I was watching ET - and I remember that my Dad told me that
Speilberg approached M&M to be the bait for our favorite extra terrestrial
and they refused. Therefore, Ellllleeeeeeoooooot used Reese's Pieces. Is
this true? It doesn't seem so as even then, who would say no to Speilberg?

I don't know about this, because Reese's paid a ton of cash for this product
placement, probably one of the more successful examples of it ever. They
even used Reese's in the Atari 2600 video game.

>>> On to rumor two - still about ET - did Neil Diamond really ask to do a
song about the movie and when turned down came up with the beloved ballad
(yes, Robert Berry's favorite song) "Turn on Your Heartlight"?>>>

Dunno

>>> And finally, my Dad also told me that Return of the Jedi was once called
Revenge of the Jedi (this is pretty common knowledge) and that before Lucas
made the final decision on the name, they printed several hundred posters
reading Revenge and now they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is
my Dad nuts? >>

You're right, and there were posters, but you're looking at maybe a $300
item, tops. There were quite a few made, actually.

-Robert

Ed Owens

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Kristen Mahan-Moutaw wrote:

> Okay, so I was watching ET - and I remember that my Dad told me that Speilberg
approached M&M to be the bait for our favorite extra terrestrial and they
refused. Therefore, Ellllleeeeeeoooooot used Reese's Pieces. Is this true?
It doesn't seem so as even then, who would say no to Speilberg?

True. M&M refused to pay the fee that Universal was asking to have the product
placed in the film. Reese's gladly ponied up the dough, and the rest is
confectionary history.

> On to rumor two - still about ET - did Neil Diamond really ask to do a song
about the movie and when turned down came up with the beloved ballad (yes,
Robert Berry's favorite song) "Turn on Your Heartlight"?

True. Actually, one version of the rumor is that Diamond did the song *before*
asking (he thought the finished product would be a better sell than just the
promise of a new song). When he approached those involved with the production,
he was basically sent packing.

> And finally, my Dad also told me that Return of the Jedi was once called
Revenge of the Jedi (this is pretty common knowledge) and that before Lucas
made the final decision on the name, they printed several hundred posters
reading Revenge and now they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is my
Dad nuts?

A Revenge of the Jedi poster in mint condition will bring $300-$500 tops.

Ed

Sasha Stone

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
>Okay, so I was watching ET - and I remember that my Dad told me that
>Speilberg approached M&M to be the bait for our favorite extra terrestrial
>and they refused. Therefore, Ellllleeeeeeoooooot used Reese's Pieces. Is
>this true? It doesn't seem so as even then, who would say no to
>Speilberg?

Oh totally true. It goes down in the record books as one the all-time
great corporate blunders. There is another one involving Coke/Pepsi and
Michael Jackson but I'm sure how it goes.

>On to rumor two - still about ET - did Neil Diamond really ask to do a
>song about the movie and when turned down came up with the beloved ballad
>(yes, Robert Berry's favorite song) "Turn on Your Heartlight"?

Yes, true, true!

>And finally, my Dad also told me that Return of the Jedi was once called
>Revenge of the Jedi (this is pretty common knowledge) and that before
>Lucas made the final decision on the name, they printed several hundred
>posters reading Revenge and now they are worth hundreds of thousands of
>dollars. Is my Dad nuts?

Well, your dad *is* nuts, but his sources are pretty right on.

Sasha

Neil Tollfree

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Heartlight, I believe, was written by Burt Bacharach.......can't get it out
of my head now though

> Okay, so I was watching ET - and I remember that my Dad told me that
Speilberg approached M&M to be the bait for our favorite extra terrestrial
and they refused. Therefore, Ellllleeeeeeoooooot used Reese's Pieces. Is
this true? It doesn't seem so as even then, who would say no to Speilberg?

True. M&M refused to pay the fee that Universal was asking to have the

product placed in the film. Reese's gladly ponied up the dough, and the
rest is confectionary history.

> On to rumor two - still about ET - did Neil Diamond really ask to do a

song about the movie and when turned down came up with the beloved ballad
(yes, Robert Berry's favorite song) "Turn on Your Heartlight"?

True. Actually, one version of the rumor is that Diamond did the song

*before* asking (he thought the finished product would be a better sell than
just the promise of a new song). When he approached those involved with the
production, he was basically sent packing.

> And finally, my Dad also told me that Return of the Jedi was once called

Revenge of the Jedi (this is pretty common knowledge) and that before Lucas
made the final decision on the name, they printed several hundred posters
reading Revenge and now they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is
my Dad nuts?

A Revenge of the Jedi poster in mint condition will bring $300-$500 tops.

Ed

John Syron - Thomas Cooley Las School

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
The first rumor is true. M & M later regretted losing the merchandise
rights.

Dave Edsall - The Tauminator

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99

>And finally, my Dad also told me that Return of the Jedi was once called =
>Revenge of the Jedi (this is pretty common knowledge) and that before =
>Lucas made the final decision on the name, they printed several hundred =
>posters reading Revenge and now they are worth hundreds of thousands of =

>dollars. Is my Dad nuts?

The sad fact is why the name of the movie was changed. Some focus groups
who watched a pre-screening suggested that such a title might be too violent
for younger viewers and may scare away some families.

Dave

Kristen Mahan-Moutaw

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
I'm sorry!