Quality is superior to quantity

rich

Oct 27, 2023, 3:48:42 AM10/27/23
Quality is superior to quantity

As good theologians teach,(20) God is more glorified by a single
act of charity of ten talents than by ten acts of charity of one
talent each. Likewise a single very perfect just soul pleases God more
than many others who remain in mediocrity or tepidity. Quality is
superior to quantity. This is why the plenitude of grace in Mary
surpassed from the first day of her existence that of all the saints,
as a single diamond is worth more than a quantity of other precious
stones.
Charity, therefore, ought by our merits to grow until death. With
this infused virtue, our aptitude to receive a new increase grows,(21)
our spiritual heart dilates more and more, and our divine capacity is
enlarged according to the words of the psalm: "I have run the way of
Thy commandments, when Thou didst enlarge my heart." (22) St. Paul
also says: "Our heart is enlarged. . . . Be you also enlarged." (23)

<<>><<>><<>>
27 October – Saint Elesbaan of Ethiopia

(Died c 555)
King of Ethiopia, Confessor, Penitent Hermit and Monk. Also known as
– Elesbaan of Axum, Ella Atsbeha, Ella Asbeha, Calam-Negus, Calam,
Caleb, Elesbaas, Elesbas, Elesboas, Eleuzoe, Hellestheaeus, Kaleb.

The Roman Martyrology states today: “St Elesbaan, King, who after
having defeated the enemies of Christ and sent his Royal Diadem to
Jerusalem, in the time of Emperor Justin, led a monastical life, as he
had vowed and went to his reward.”

In the 6th century Ethiopia was ruled by King St Elesbaan, who was
raised from childhood in the Catholic Faith. King Elesbaan ruled his
country with wisdom and was esteemed by his people.

At that time, Ethiopia was part of the Eastern Roman Empire, under
Justinian I. Across the Red Sea, Arabia had fallen to Dunaan, a King
who apostatised from the Catholic Faith and adhered to Judaism. He was
a despotic ruler, persecuting the Bishops and clergy and destroying
the Churches or transforming them into synagogues. St Gregentius,
Bishop of Tafas, was expelled from his Diocese; St Aretas, governor of
Nagran and leader of the Catholic reaction, was beheaded along with
his wife, children and 340 of his people. Around 4,000 Catholics were
killed without trial after suffering many cruelties.

Emperor Justinian called on King Elesbaan to chastise the usurper. The
King gathered his army and crossed the Red Sea to punish the affront
to Catholic honour. Elesbaan landed in Arabia, defeated Dunaan and
executed him. Then he restored St Gregentius to his episcopal see,
rebuilt the Churches and remained in the country until Ebrahamos, who
was Catholic, was elected King of the Arabs.

Once his mission of justice and peace was accomplished, he returned to
Ethiopia and ruled there for some years more, carefully instructing
his son in the Catholic Faith, making him heir of his zeal and piety
and the direction of the Kingdom. Then he renounced his title and
handed the rule of the Kingdom to his son.

Disguised as a Hermit, he retired to a Monastery in the mountains.
There he lived as a simple religious dedicated to prayer, obedience
and work. He carried nothing with him out of the Palace but a mat to
lie on and a cup to drink from. His food was only bread, with which he
sometimes took a few dry herbs; he never drank anything but water. He
would not allow himself the least distinction above the least among
his brethren and was the first in every duty of his new state.

No seculars ever had access to him and his whole employment consisted
in the exercises of penance, the contemplation of heavenly things and
conversing with God, by whom he was at length called, to a happy
death, to reign eternally with Christ. He died with a reputation of
sanctity on 27 October c 555. Often he is pictured as a solitary
Hermit holding a Cross and with a Crown at his feet.

https://anastpaul.com/2021/10/27

“Just as speech has been given to men
to be the interpreter of their feelings and desires,
so it is through the conscience,
that God teaches us, what He judges of everything
and what He expects of each one of us.
This divine Voice forms various interior words,
to express various lessons and the different orders,
that it pleases God to give to His creature.
It is the bond of communication
that the Lord desires to have with us
and the most usual organ he makes use of,
to touch our hearts and open to us His own.”
--St Claude la Colombière SJ (1641-1682)

Saint Quote:
The proof of love is in the works. Where love exists, it works great
things. But when it ceases to act, it ceases to exist.
--Saint Gregory the Great

Bible Quote:
"That is why the promise is to faith, so that it comes as a free gift
and is secure for all the descendants, not only those who rely on the
Law but all those others who rely on the faith of Abraham, the
ancestor of us all (as Scriptures says: 'I have made you the father of
many nations'). Romans 4:16

<><><><>
Prayer to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart:

Remember, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, what ineffable power thy
divine Son hath given thee
over His own adorable Heart. Full of trust in thy merits, we come
before thee and beg thy protection. O heavenly Treasurer of the Heart
of Jesus, that Heart which is the inexhaustible source of all graces,
which thou mayest open to us at thy good pleasure, in order that from
it may flow forth upon mankind the riches of love and mercy, light and
salvation, grant unto us, we beseech thee, the favors which we seek.
. . .We can never, never be refused by thee, and since thou art our
Mother, O our Lady of the Sacred Heart, graciously hear our prayers
and grant our request. Amen.