The Weakness of the Tyrant and the Power of the Beheaded

rich

Aug 29, 2023, 3:52:37 AM8/29/23
The Weakness of the Tyrant and the Power of the Beheaded

"Note well the weakness of the tyrant compared to the power of the
one in prison. Herod was not strong enough to silence his own tongue.
Having opened it, he opened up countless other mouths in its place and
with its help. As for John, he immediately inspired fear in Herod
after his murder--for fear was disturbing Herod's conscience to such
an extent that he believed John had been raised from the dead and was
performing miracles (Mark 6:14-16)! In our own day and through all
future time, throughout all the world, John continues to refute Herod,
both through himself and through others. For each person repeatedly
reading this Gospel says: 'It is not lawful for you to have the wife
of Philip your brother' (Mark 6:18). And even apart from reading the
Gospel, in assemblies and meetings at home or in the market, in every
place... even to the very ends of the earth, you will hear this voice
and see that righteous man even now still crying out, resounding
loudly, reproving the evil of the tyrant. He will never be silenced
nor the reproof at all weakened by the passing of time."
by John Chrysostom (excerpt from ON THE PROVIDENCE OF GOD 22.8-9)

<<>><<>><<>>
29 August – The Memorial of the Beheading of St John the Baptist

The drunken oath of a king with a shallow sense of honour, a seductive
dance and the hateful heart of a queen combined to bring about the
martyrdom of John the Baptist. The greatest of prophets suffered the
fate of so many Old Testament prophets before him: rejection and
martyrdom. The “voice crying in the desert” did not hesitate to accuse
the guilty, did not hesitate to speak the truth. But why? What
possesses a man that he would give up his very life?

This great religious reformer was sent by God to prepare the people
for the Messiah. His vocation was one of selfless giving. The only
power that he claimed was the Spirit of yjr Lord. “I am baptizing you
with water, for repentance but the one who is coming after me is
mightier than I. I am not worthy to carry His sandals. He will baptise
you with the Holy Spirit and fire” (Matthew 3:11).

Scripture tells us that many people followed John looking to him for
hope, perhaps in anticipation of some great messianic power. John
never allowed himself the false honour of receiving these people for
his own glory. He knew his calling was one of preparation. When the
time came, he led his disciples to Jesus: “The next day John was there
again with two of his disciples and as he watched Jesus walk by, he
said, ‘Behold, the Lamb of God.’ The two disciples heard what he said
and followed Jesus” (John 1:35-37).

It is John the Baptist who has pointed the way to Christ. John’s life
and death were a giving over of self for God and other people. His
simple style of life was one of complete detachment from earthly
possessions . His heart was lifted on God and the call that he heard
from the Spirit of God speaking to his heart. Confident of God’s
grace, he had the courage to speak words of condemnation, repentance,
and salvation.

Each of us has a calling to which we must listen. No-one will ever
repeat the mission of John and yet all of us are called to that very
mission. It is the role of the Christian to witness to Jesus.
Whatever our position in this world, we are called to be disciples of
Christ. By our words and deeds, others should realise that we live in
the joy of knowing that Jesus is Lord. We do not have to depend upon
our own limited resources but can draw strength from the vastness of
Christ’s saving grace.
St John the Baptist, Pray for us!

https://anastpaul.com/2018/08/29/

Catechism of the Catholic Church
IV. The Spirit of Christ in the Fullness of Time
John, Precursor, Prophet and Baptist

719 John the Baptist is “more than a prophet.” In him, the Holy
Spirit concludes his speaking through the prophets. John completes the
cycle of prophets begun by Elijah. He proclaims the imminence of the
consolation of Israel; he is the “voice” of the Consoler who is
coming. As the Spirit of truth will also do, John “came to bear
witness to the light.” In John’s sight, the Spirit thus brings to
completion the careful search of the prophets and fulfills the longing
of the angels. “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this
is he who baptises with the Holy Spirit and I have seen and have borne
witness that this is the Son of God…. Behold, the Lamb of God.”

“And what else did John have in mind but what is virtuous,
so that he could not endure a wicked union even in the king’s case, saying:
“It is not lawful for thee to have her to wife.”
He could have been silent, had he not thought it unseemly for himself
not to speak the truth for fear of death,
or to make the prophetic office yield to the king,
or to indulge in flattery.
He knew well that he would die as he was against the king
but he preferred virtue to safety.
Yet what is more expedient than the suffering
which brought glory to the saint.”
--St Ambrose (340-397) Father & Doctor of the Church

Bible Quote:
But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. 18 For not he who
commendeth himself, is approved, but he, whom God commendeth. (2
Cor. 10:17-18) DRV

<><><><>
Prayer to Our Lady of Sorrows
By St. Bridget

O Blessed Virgin Mary, Immaculate Mother of God, who didst endure a
martyrdom of love and grief, beholding the sufferings and sorrows of
Jesus! Thou didst co-operate in the benefit of my redemption by thy
innumerable afflictions and by offering to the Eternal Father His
only-begotten Son as a holocaust and victim of propitiation for my
sins. I thank thee for the unspeakable love which led thee to deprive
thyself of the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus, true God and true Man, to
save me, a sinner. Oh! make use of the unfailing intercession of thy
sorrows with the Father and the Son. that I may steadfastly amend my
life and never again crucify my loving Redeemer by new sins; and that,
persevering till death in His grace, I may obtain eternal life through
the merits of His Cross and Passion. Amen.

Mother of love, of sorrow, and of mercy, pray for us.