On Humble Submission to God [II]

rich

Jul 8, 2023, 4:38:46 AM7/8/23
On Humble Submission to God [II]

When a man humbly admits his faults, he soon appeases his fellows,
and is reconciled to those whom he had offended. God protects and
delivers a humble man; He loves and comforts him (I Pet.5:5; James
4:6). To the humble He leans down and bestows great success, raising
him from abasement to honour. To him He reveals His secrets
(Matt.9:25) and lovingly calls and draws him to Himself. Even in the
midst of trouble, the humble man remains wholly at peace, for he
trusts in God, and not in the world. Do not consider yourself to have
made any spiritual progress, unless you account yourself the least of
all men.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 2, Ch 2

<<>><<>><<>>
July 8: - Saint Withburga of Dereham
(Also known as Withburge, Witburh)

Died March 17, c. 743; other feasts are celebrated on April 18 at
Cambridge and on March 17; today's feast commemorates her translation.

Today we celebrate the feast of Saint Withburga sister of Saint
Etheldreda, miracle worker, foundress of the Convent at East Dereham,
and Abbess. The simple and obedient life of Saint Withburga inspires
us to discern the will of God in our own lives, following His plan to
our best ability.

Born the youngest daughter of Anna, King of East Anglia, Withburga
grew up in a privileged class, considered a princess. Upon her
father’s death, while she was still quite young, Withburga was sent
with her nurse to live in a small town near Norfolk called Dereham.
There, she grew in piety and love for the Lord, and established a
small nunnery with the help of her sister, Etheldreda. She served as
Abbess of the fledgling community, which grew considerably under her
direction. As the community grew, Withburga eventually began
construction of a church.

It is at that point that miracles began to occur, spreading her
notoriety and drawing pilgrims to her construction site. As
construction of the church continued, money was short. At times,
Withburga had little more than bread to feed her workers. One night
Our Blessed Mother appeared to Withburga, saying “Send two of your
women down to the stream every morning, where two does will stand to
be milked.” This she did without question, and the two nuns found the
deer waiting, as promised. As a result, there was butter and cheese
for all to add to their diet, and the construction progressed with
great speed.

Saint Withburga came to be recognized for her great piety, patience,
and advice. She was sought out be locals, as well as by leaders from
far away. The local official, jealous of the positive attention she
was receiving, set off with his hounds to kill the miraculous deer,
but was instead thrown from his horse and died of a broken neck. All
present reported this as miraculous, which only increased the stream
of pilgrims to the area--visiting the stream, the church, and hoping
for an audience with Withburga herself.

Saint Withburga died prior to the completion of the church. Pilgrims
continued to flock to her graveside, where numerous miracles were
reported. Upon exhumation (55 years after her death), her body was
discovered to be incorrupt, and moved into a shrine contained within
the completed church. Having consecrated herself a virgin while alive,
Saint Withburga’s corpse is said to have blushed when one of the men
who exhumed the body brushed her check with his finger. Years later,
the saint’s relics were stolen from her tomb (by a well-intentioned
bishop), and translated to Ely, to be placed next to her sisters.
Where her body had been, fresh water sprang forth, and continues to
flow freely today. Saint Withburga’s Well has never run dry (despite
drought), and some have claimed miraculous healing due to prayer and
imbibing of the clear water.

Saint Withburga’s simple faith and obedience allowed her to create an
active religious community, offer healing and advice to believers, and
feed those who were hungry. Her life is remembered as one of purity
and hard work, turning from a privileged life and dedicating herself
to the Lord. We look to her for inspiration--just as the pilgrims of
her day did-- in making our daily life choices. What advice might
Saint Withburga give each of us, were we to ask her today?
by Jacob

Saint Quote
I am gently going to my grave. It is the will of God, and I thank Him
very much for letting me die of the same disease and in the same way
as my lepers. I am very satisfied and very happy.
--Blessed Father Damien de Veuster

Bible Quote
But Peter and the apostles answering, said: We ought to obey God,
rather than men. [30] The God of our fathers hath raised up Jesus,
whom you put to death, hanging him upon a tree.
[31] Him hath God exalted with his right hand, to be Prince and
Saviour, to give repentance to Israel, and remission of sins.
[Acts of Apostles 5:29-31] DRV

<><><><>
Be simple as doves. [Matt. 10:16 ] July: Simplicity

31. God is a Being most simple in His essence, admitting no
composition whatever. If, then, we desire to render ourselves as much
like Him as possible, we should endeavor to be by virtue what He is by
nature; that is, we ought to have a simple heart, a simple soul, a
simple intention, a simple mode of action. We ought to speak simply,
and to act frankly, without deceit or artifice, always letting our
exterior reflect our interior, and never regarding anything in all our
actions except God, Whom alone we endeavor and desire to please.
--St. Vincent de Paul

Such, in fact, was the simplicity of this Saint, for his exterior was
always in entire conformity to his interior. Whoever heard his words
could immediately know what was in his heart, which he always kept
upon his lips. And however numerous and varied might be his
occupations, they all had the same end, which was to please God alone.
It might be truly said that he possessed this virtue to such a degree
that the faculties of his soul were wholly steeped in it, and whatever
he said or did proceeded from this source.

("A Year with the Saints".

On Self-Denial, and Renunciation of all Cupidity [II]

THE DISCIPLE.
Lord, this is not the work of a single day, and no easy matter. These
few words contain the whole way of spiritual perfection.

CHRIST.
My son, do not be discouraged or diverted from your purpose at hearing
of this way of perfection. Rather let it spur you to higher things and
at least, to set your heart on them. If only you would do this, and
attain that state where you cease to be a lover of self and stand
ready to do My will and His whom I have appointed as your Father, you
would greatly please Me and your whole life would be filled with joy
and peace. You have still many things to renounce, and unless you
surrender them to Me without reserve, you cannot obtain what you ask
of Me. I counsel you to buy from Me gold, refined in the fire, that
you may be rich (Rev.3:18) in that heavenly wisdom that rejects all
worthless things. Despise the wisdom of the world and every temptation
to please others or yourself.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Bk 3, Ch 32