[Kokomo Arnold "The Twelves" What is this song about?]

CSABA GAL , BOOGIE

Feb 13, 2001, 12:02:14 PM2/13/01
i have it from yazoo records' textbook. "kokemo" (the way he sometimes calls
himself) is great, great, great!

The Twelves (Dirty Dozens)
Kokomo Arnold - vo, steel slide g
Chicago, Jan 18, 1935

Says I want everybody, fall in line.
Shake your shimmy like I'm shakin' mine.
You shake your shimmy, shake it fast.
If you can't shake your shimmy, shake your yas yas yas.
'Cause you's a dirty mistreater, a robber and a cheater,
Slip you into the dozen, papa's ruined your cousin,
And lets your mama doopididy all day long.

Says yonder go your mama, hurryin' across the field.
Slippin' and a-slidin' just like a automobile.
I hollered at your mama, I told her to wait.
She slipped away from me just like a Cadillac Eight.
'Cause you's a runnin' mistreater, a robber and a cheater,
Slip you into the dozen, papa's ruined your cousin,
And lets your mama doopididy all day long.

Says I like your mama, sister too.
I did like your papa, but your papa wouldn't do.
I met your papa round the corner the other day.
I soon found out that he was funny that a-away.
'Cause he's a dirty mistreater, a robber and a cheater,
Slip you into the dozen, your papa's ruined your cousin,
And lets your mama doopididy all day long.

Aw, ride it, Mr Kokomo, now get on it boys. Ride it.

Said away down yonder, New Orleans.
The wildcat jumped on the sewin' machine.
Sewin' machine sewed so fast.
Sewed ninety-nine stitches up his yas yas yas.
'Cause he's a dirty mistreater, a robber and a cheater,
Slip you into the dozen, papa's ruined your cousin,
And lets your mama doopididy all day long.

Aw, play it Jackson. Now get on it. Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Says God made the elephant, made him stout.
He wasn't satisfied until he made him a snout.
He made him a snout just as long as a rail.
He wasn't satisfied until he made him a tail.
He made him a tail just to fan the flies.
He wasn't satisfied until he made him some eyes.
He made him some eyes just to look on the grass.
He wasn't satisfied until he made his yas yas yas.
He made his yas yas yas, and he didn't get it fixed.
He wasn't satisfied until he made him sick.
He made him sick but he didn't get him well.
You know by that the big boy's courtin' in hell.
'Cause he's a dirty mistreater, a robber and a cheater,
Slip you into the dozen, papa's ruined your cousin,
And lets your mama doopididy all day long.

Greg Freerksen <free...@MCS.NET> wrote:
One of my favorite of the pre-war blues tunes is "The Twelves - The Dirty
Dozens" by Kokomo Arnold.

I have listened to this song over the years and now several times this
evening. Even though I like the song I can't figure out many of the words.

A portion of the song sounds like -

She's a dirty mistreater
Robber and cheater
Slippery in the desert
Harborinate your cousin
Let your mama do the lawder now.

Does anybody know if the lyrics are on the web somewhere? Also does
anybody have any incite or explaination of this song?

I'll take any help because frankly I'm confused.

Greg Freerksen.

catherine yronwode

Feb 14, 2001, 12:21:20 AM2/14/01
CSABA GAL , BOOGIE wrote:

> i have it from yazoo records' textbook. "kokemo" (the way he sometimes calls
> himself) is great, great, great!
>
> The Twelves (Dirty Dozens)
> Kokomo Arnold - vo, steel slide g
> Chicago, Jan 18, 1935
>[...]

> Says God made the elephant, made him stout.
> He wasn't satisfied until he made him a snout.
> He made him a snout just as long as a rail.
> He wasn't satisfied until he made him a tail.
> He made him a tail just to fan the flies.
> He wasn't satisfied until he made him some eyes.
> He made him some eyes just to look on the grass.
> He wasn't satisfied until he made his yas yas yas.
> He made his yas yas yas, and he didn't get it fixed.
> He wasn't satisfied until he made him sick.
> He made him sick but he didn't get him well.
> You know by that the big boy's courtin' in hell.
> 'Cause he's a dirty mistreater, a robber and a cheater,
> Slip you into the dozen, papa's ruined your cousin,
> And lets your mama doopididy all day long.

Way i learned it, but not from Kokomo Arnold:

Shee-boo, shee-boo, i thought i'd take a walk,
I thought i heard somebody dirty-talk
I hollered at your mamma, she come runnin' 'cross the field.
She was kickin' up dust just like a automobile.

I hollered at your mama, I told her to wait.
She slipped away from me just like a Cadillac Eight.

Man, she was truckin' [guitar riff fills ends of line]

Now, God made the elephant, he made him mighty stout.
He wasn't satisfied til he made him a great long snout.

He made him a snout just as long as a rail.

He wasn't satisfied til he made him a great long tail.
He made him a tail just to fan at the flies.
He wasn't satisfied til he made him some great big eyes.
He made him some eyes just to look at the grass.
He wasn't satisfied til he made him a big fat ass.
He made him an ass, and the ass made him sick.
He wasn't satisfied til he made him a nine-inch dick.
He made him a dick and the dick made him well.
And you know by that that the elephant caught hell.
'Cause he was fuckin' [guitar riff fills ends of line]

(i like the delayed rhymes of truckin' and fuckin' -- kinda unexpected.)

cat yronwode

Hoodoo and Blues Lyrics --------- http://www.luckymojo.com/blues.html

Lucky Mojo Curio Co. http://www.luckymojo.com/luckymojocatalogue.html
Send e-mail with your street address to cata...@luckymojo.com
and receive our free 32 page catalogue of hoodoo supplies and amulets

bj kalmbach

Feb 14, 2001, 11:06:16 AM2/14/01
At 05:12 AM 2/14/01 +0000, catherine yronwode wrote:
>The Twelves (Dirty Dozens)
> > Kokomo Arnold - vo, steel slide g
> > Chicago, Jan 18, 1935
> >[...]

> > Says God made the elephant, made him stout.
> > He wasn't satisfied until he made him a snout...

I like Kokomo Arnold's "Busy Bootin'"

"Busy Bootin' and you can't come in (x2)
come back tomorrow night and try it ag'in"

following which is a verse (paraphrasing slightly ):

"Busy bootin' when you came round about ten o'clock(x2),
that's when I had your mama on the choppin' block.

Busy Bootin' and you can't come in...."

Bonnie the K.