Quoting from Bgrass-l

Allen C Farmelo

Apr 2, 1995, 4:00:00 AM4/2/95
I've been told that a simple release form indicating that the original
author of the "posted material" agrees to allow quotation is all that it
takes. The signature, in effect, makes the writing officially "authored"
in some way or another. Also, if citing material in a scholarly journal
or a thesis, the date of the signing helps tighten up the bibliography
considerably.

I also add that talking with the person to be quoted is a good idea in
that editing the material can be a collaborative process. When ever
possible, I try to co-edit interviews with the interviewee. This makes
for less guess work and better assurance that the intended tone and
meaning are maintained. Also, if the person quoted wants to change
anything, during editing is the time.

Allen Farmelo

Carolyn Boselli

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
On 1-APR-1995 23:43:48.1 BGRASS-L said to IVANOR
> Like several others on this list, I am a college professor (or I
> profess to be, anyway). I teach a course each spring semester in the
> Sociology of Southern Music. I also teach Race and Ethnic Relations

INteresting subject matter.

>each semester. Consequently, I was intensely interested in all the
>posts a couple of months ago regarding blacks in bluegrass.

I can imagine!

>Ironically, at the same time that thread was running, there was a
>thread on Blues-L (to which I also subscribe) on why blacks do not
>attend blues concerts even though the blues are thought of as black

Isn't it strange how related threads can show up on 2 or 3 lists at the same
time. I frequently find matching threads here and on rec.music.early!

>music and most of the leading performers are black. I downloaded both
>threads and have used them extensively as lecture materials in both
>courses. While I do not present the material as "my own analysis," I
>also do not generally cite the author of each relevant post.
> The discussion of these issues over the past few days has raised
> some questions in my mind regarding the proper, i.e., ethical, use of
> these materials. I would very much like to have the opinion of my
>fellow BGers on this question.

I think, if you paraphrase/condense the gist of a thread, you don't need to
cite sources specifically. If you quote, you should probably be more
precise. HOWEVER! If ever you see me say anything useful, you have my full
and unqualified permission to use it in anyway that will contribute to
better relations between races or individuals.

Carolyn Boselli Host of Custom Forum 35 SCAdians on Delphi
If you're not new at something, you're not growing.

I used to be an amateur crastinator, but I turned pro years ago.

MAIL.1030

John Derry

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
Howdy,

I have used quite a bit of material from BGRASS-L in the Bluegrass
Club Newsletter that I edit. I have a simple rule that I follow and
recommend.

If the material that you extract is in the PD, then I just publish it
and credit BGRASS-L. Examples: The Ryman Schedule, a new album
release, IBMA awards results, ditto for SPGBMA awards.

Other things that are the intellectual property of the originator: I
request (and have always been granted) permission to put it in the
newsletter and I give the author full credit and also give credit to
BGRASS-L. Examples: Reviews, recipes, jokes, opinions, etc.

I believe this was the rule that was stated to me by F. Godbey when I
first asked him about this.

My reccomendation: Ask for permission as a courtesy in the very
least. The give credit.

Plink, Jack

BTW: I hereby authorize anyone to reprint anything that I post on
BGRASS-L as long as credit is given to me as the author. :-)