MY: BADMINTON: Soon Kit and Beng Kiang not resuming their old

Sooraj Nair

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* POSTED WITH PERMISSION *
* Copyright Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd *
* The Star Online, http://www.jaring.my/star/ *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

AUCKLAND: Cheah Soon Kit and Soo Beng Kiang will not resume their old
partnership at the Thomas Cup qualifying rounds here after all.

National chief coach Razif Sidek said yesterday Lee Wan Wah has been
confirmed as the stand-in if the sick Yap Kim Hock cannot recover in
time.

"Barring any last minute changes, Wan Wah will partner Soon Kit if Kim
Hock does not recover," said Razif.

Kim Hock was admitted to hospital earlier this week with high fever
and is expected to arrive here today.

Kim Hock was originally suspected to be suffering from dengue fever.
But it was diognised as viral fever later.

Despite that, Kim Hock may take longer than expected to recover.

"As of now, Wan Wah is the best choice we have. I am not thinking of
breaking up our second pair just yet," said Razif.

The Wira Tangkis duo of Soo Beng Kiang-Tan Kim Her are now expected to
play first doubles for Malaysia.

"We tried a few combinations with Soon Kit in practice and also our
friendly match against New Zealand today. But it looks like Wan Wah is
the best bet," said Razif.

Soon Kit and Beng Kiang last played together in the 1994 National
Grand Prix Finals and the option to team them again to help Malaysia
qualify was considered seriously by Razif earlier.

As for Wan Wah, who usually partners Choong Tan Fook, he may get his
major break when Malaysia play the winners of Group B in the
semi-final stage.

Australia are expected to top Group B which includes Argentina and
Macau.