Mexican UFO Wave

1 view

Aaron Reynaldos

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I was watching in a CATV channel a "documentary" about UFOs. It
is supposed
to be a science channel, like Discovery, but it seemed pretty biased, of
course
you know which side. By the way, it was produced by "Above and Beyond
Productions".

Well, the point is, the talked a lot about the Mexican UFO wave, and
showed some
really interesting videos. Does anybody have information about scientific
explanations
for these UFOs? They look like metallic bubbles and seem to be spinning,
and a
famous UFOlogist here at Mexico, Jaime Maussan has made a lot of fuzz
about it.
In the program the credit went to Jamie Maussan!

I used to live in Mexico City until August, so I also have heard a lot of
stories
about these sightings, and even one afternoon the 4 passengers of my car
kept watching
a UFO over the city. While I was driving in a very busy street I couldn't
look
for them, but people in the sidewalks were all watching above. I can't
remember
of any official explanation, though.

So, does anyone have information? Has any serious scientific inquiry been
made?

Regards,

Aarsn Reynaldos

Keith Woodard

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Aaron wrote:
Well, the point is, the talked a lot about the Mexican UFO wave, and
showed some
really interesting videos. Does anybody have information about scientific
explanations for these UFOs? They look like metallic bubbles and seem to
be spinning, and a famous UFOlogist here at Mexico, Jaime Maussan has made
a lot of fuzz about it.

Keith wrote:
I think I remember Phil Klass saying there's a certain kind of metallic
balloon many Mexicans enjoy launching.

Wayne Spencer

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Aarsn Reynaldos asked

> So, does anyone have information? Has any serious scientific inquiry
> been made?

For a detailed debunking of video recordings of what purport to be UFOs
over Mexico, see the following article:

Rob Irving. 'Mexican UFO Invasion'. Fortean Times, 1998; 109: 34-42.

Wayne Spencer

Aaron Reynaldos

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Haven't thought of that. Did Klass said that in the same A&E program that
was mentioned
before?

The balloons that Klass may be talking about are sold in the streets with
different
pictures on them, the classic "I love you", "Happy Birthday", etc... And
while
we don't particularly like to launch them, it happens that they often
escape from
the lucky owner. =)

I have seen an explanation like that on local TV. Unfortunely, this
UFOlogist,
Jaime Maussan is very good at arguing and discussing, and many skeptics
have found
a very, very hard time presenting with him on TV. I believe we need to
have some
well-trained skeptics to deal with such guys. Most of the time Maussan
ends a discussion
shouting at the opponents and with a cheerful audience applauding
everything and
backing him up. An embarrasing spectacle.

Aarsn Reynaldos