IPSWITCH DOES NOT WORK!!!

Tom Gray

Mar 10, 1995, 10:01:57 AM3/10/95
I'm mad, but what else is new.

Got my IPSWITCH software yesterday. No instructions.
Turns out that you have to patch your server to 5.54(7)
to use the stuff and the patch was supposed to be in the
box, but it isn't.

Also, I got this as an "upgrade" to my FTP software
IBANYAN stuff. Guess what -- There ain't no IBANYAN
is this package. The word from BANYAN is unless you
have NDIS you are hosed. In the ipswitch PIPER
manual they mention BANPKT, which allows
an interface between PIPER and vines drivers.
On the disks there is also an IBANPKT, which
might be the IBANYAN replacement but nobody
seems to know.

All you IBANYAN types out there better get in writing
that the IPSWITCH stuff will work with your
configurations!

Tom Gray, Vines Network Administrator
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
TG...@css.unc.edu

david giles

Mar 10, 1995, 10:37:52 AM3/10/95
Tom,
This sounds like you got the Enterprise Client which was a free
upgrade for VIP customers and not the Application Suite which replaces
PC/TCP. I too had the same problem with ibanpkt, but it is documented in
the Acadia book even though it will work with Piper. The only difference
is that with Acadia you install it in autoexec.bat and in Piper it is
usually in Piper.bat along with the other configuration info. I have it
installed after Greg Martin answered some of my questions and think it is a
very robust product.

David Giles Southwest Modern Data Systems, Inc.
President Internet: d...@regentdb.osrhe.edu
(405) 842-6710 Phone (405) 842-7288 Fax

A Guest of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
A Banyan Network Integrator & Lotus Notes Business Partner
& Compaq Certified Education Partner
-------------
Original Text
From Tom Gray <Thomas=C.=Gray%NetAdmin%C...@CSS.UNC.EDU>, on 3/10/95 10:01
AM:
To: Multiple recipients of list BANYAN-L BANY...@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU

Wallace Fullerton

Mar 10, 1995, 4:29:05 PM3/10/95
Hey, Ed. . .

Knowing you are a proponent of Ipswitch, I was surprised that you didn't
change the Subject line of your response to Mr. Gray's problem. . . It was
a shock to see your name next to that screaming statement!

Wallace W. Fullerton
U.S. Int'l Trade Commission
Washington, DC 20436
202) 205-3243 Fax:(202) 205-2024
wful...@access.digex.net
[wallace....@itc.sprint.com]

Kris Shawcross

Mar 10, 1995, 10:56:44 AM3/10/95
The PIPER disks that I got ran through the installation process fine, but
never actually copied any files other than the config file to the hard
drive. Built a lot of nice empty directories, though. Anyone else have this
problem?

I did get Acadia installed (The VxD package) which seems to work fine exept
for *MANY* EMM386 Exception Errors...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

MSgt Kris Shawcross
Air National Guard Readiness Center
kr...@angrc.ang.af.mil

*Mine opinions are mine own*

Ronnie Bell

Mar 10, 1995, 1:16:27 PM3/10/95
Not!
Couple of things I know since we are running Piper on an Ethernet segment
is that it does work. You need to use the IBANPKT driver. Also although
you may have been told that you MUST upgrade to 5.54(7) we had it up and
running on 5.54(6) for quite a while (a month or so). Come to think of it
most of the servers are at 5.53(6).
I understand that the IPSWITCH product will be (is) supported through
your VAR (we were running 'pre agreement' software and didn't work with our
VAR)
Overall I find the product to meet our needs once we established what the
few major bugs were and had them DCon'ed!
Currently we run FTP, Telnet, WsGopher, WSFTP and Netscape. The only
thing I am not sure about is that we can FTP from a Sparc but not TO the
same Sparc (but we'll figure that one out too).
So, its not as bad as you think. Their info just bites, the product is ok.
r.b.

Ed Lopez

Mar 10, 1995, 1:13:49 PM3/10/95
Tom,

Since I have successfully worked with this stuff in the past, and have
demo'd it at FedBUG, let me try to understand and help you with this
problem.

>Got my IPSWITCH software yesterday. No instructions.
>Turns out that you have to patch your server to 5.54(7)
>to use the stuff and the patch was supposed to be in the
>box, but it isn't.

Banyan offeres two products, the TCP/IP applications suite, and the
Enterprise Client for IP. Only the enterprise client for IP requires a
patch on the server. If you didn't get a patch, it sounds like you got
the TCP/IP suite, not the Enterprise Client.

>Also, I got this as an "upgrade" to my FTP software
>IBANYAN stuff. Guess what -- There ain't no IBANYAN
>is this package. The word from BANYAN is unless you
>have NDIS you are hosed. In the ipswitch PIPER
>manual they mention BANPKT, which allows
>an interface between PIPER and vines drivers.
>On the disks there is also an IBANPKT, which
>might be the IBANYAN replacement but nobody
>seems to know.

You are correct, IBANPKT is the replacement for IBANYAN. This piece of
code was included on the disk, but somehow didn't make it into the
documentation. The following is the text file that accompanied the
IBANPKT software, when it was first released during the non-disclosure
period:

"
IBanyan Driver for Acadia/VxD and Piper/IP

Usage is:

ibanpkt [service [packet interrupt]]

where the current default service is ST@ghost@Servers and
default packet interrupt is 105. Subnet 156.21.200.0 is set
up as our IP-in-VINES network. Note that you must manually
set the mtu of the interface to 1450, so a configuration
example for Piper/IP would be:

ibanpkt ST@myservername@Servers 98
xpiper
ifconfig pk0 156.21.200.5 netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig pk0 mtu 1450
route add default 156.21.200.1 3

For Acadia/VxD:

ibanpkt ST@myservername@Servers 98
win
[system.ini vipcfgx commands follow]
ifconfig1=pk0 156.21.200.5 netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig2=pk0 mtu 1450
route=add default 156.21.200.1 3

Ipswitch's IBanyan support (ibanpkt.com) is media-independent, running
on
Ethernet, Token Ring and othet types of networks.
"

I hope this helps you in getting your IBANYAN functionality running with
the product. I have tested IBANPKT using both native VINES and NDIS
drivers, on both Ethernet and Token-Ring topologies.

However, if you are discussing the Enterprise Client for IP, BANYAN is
correct in saying that NDIS is required. IBANPKT encapsulates TCP/IP
packets within VINES/IP. IPBAN (the Enterprise Client for IP VINES
driver) does exactly the opposite function, encapsulating VINES/IP
within TCP/IP. IPBAN is actually a VINES packet driver which rides on
top of your Ipswitch TCP/IP stack (using an NDIS MAC driver), and
IBANPKT (and BANPKT) is a TCP/IP packet driver riding on top of a native
VINES MAC driver.

>All you IBANYAN types out there better get in writing
>that the IPSWITCH stuff will work with your
>configurations!

Although I can't speak for Banyan, I can say that I have worked with
these new offerings for some time. I and my company are committed to
making these solutions work for our clients, and again I openly offer
for you to give me a call to discuss any difficulties you may be having.

Ed Lopez
Sr. Systems Engineer
Electronic Systems - Federal Systems Division
(703)243-4646 x 305
e...@esr.com

GPO/Office Automation Services Group 4

Mar 10, 1995, 1:20:30 PM3/10/95
What version of Vines do you be at for Ipswitch to work?

Tom Schneck
GPo

Ed Lopez

Mar 10, 1995, 1:32:55 PM3/10/95
Kris,

I have seen these problems myself, and maybe I can save you from some
hair pulling.

>The PIPER disks that I got ran through the installation process fine,
but
>never actually copied any files other than the config file to the hard
>drive. Built a lot of nice empty directories, though. Anyone else have
this
>problem?

What type of memory manager are you using? The problem here is that the
graphical Piper installation program requires 490K of conventional
memory with your other network drivers (i.e. VINES, NDIS) already
loaded. Therefore, since you probably have a memory manager loaded,
that is possibly where the conflict is. From my experience, the only
memory manager I can 100% reliably install Piper from has been EMM386.
I have had problems similar to yours installing Piper with QEMM and
386MAX. Following the installation, these other memory managers work
fine with Piper, it's just getting through the installation process
itself.

>I did get Acadia installed (The VxD package) which seems to work fine
exept
>for *MANY* EMM386 Exception Errors...

The problem here may be a bad value for the TCP/IP packet drivers
CHAINVEC= setting in the PROTOCOL.INI if you are using NDIS. By default
this value is set to "0x66". Try changing it to 8 + the interrupt value
for your NIC. For example, if your NIC has an interrupt value of 5, set
the CHAINVEC value to "13". Please note that I mean decimal "13" and
not hex "0x13".

Please let me know if this helps.

Ed Lopez

Mar 10, 1995, 2:31:28 PM3/10/95

>What version of Vines do you be at for Ipswitch to work?

Tom

The Banyan TCP/IP Applications Suite (i.e. Ipswitch), when run using
NDIS, is independent of the revision of VINES. If using BANPKT and
IBANPKT, I have used them successfully with 5.52(5), but I have not
tried 4.11(5) or 5.00(6) yet. In theory they should work, though.

The Enterprise Client for IP is a different story however. This product
requires 5.54(6) or above, and is only supported on AT and MC platforms.
CNS support is coming in a future release.

Don Laursen

Mar 14, 1995, 4:44:41 PM3/14/95

Does the Telnet utility support vt220 with keyboard remapping?

david giles