Banyan 5.54(5) UNC?

2 views
Skip to first unread message

M=HANLEY%...@waska.ang.af.mil

unread,
Nov 29, 1994, 10:25:31 AM11/29/94
to
Hi Guys,

It is my understanding the Banyan 5.52(5) and 5.53(6) do not comply with the
UNC (Universal Naming Conventions for Networks). This causes a problem with
MS-Office Setup because MS-Office creates a temp drive to install MSAPPS on
networks that don't use this convention. Does Banyan 5.54(5) comply with
this convention? Will Banyan ever? I'm a little foggy on who decided on the
naming convention, and if it's really universal.

Thanks for your clarification.

Michael

TSgt Michael J. Hanley
Gunslinger (Troubleshooter)
141CF/SCM Fairchild AFB WA
M=Hanley%SC%141...@WASKA.ANG.AF.MIL

Sida

unread,
Nov 29, 1994, 8:36:07 AM11/29/94
to
Good question...I also am hazy on this. Banyan put out a TB on a
workaround, but said nothing about adhering to the UNC standard, although
they (Banyan) did say they were buddies with MS (just like Compaq).
Finally, I believe the UNC standard is from MS, and MS size alone
dictated the nomenclature "standard". Remember, these are the same
rascals (MS) that until very recently, were trying to stuff Netbeui
down our throats...

John Krogh
Rockwell

Franklin Cantrell

unread,
Nov 30, 1994, 12:03:15 PM11/30/94
to
>It is my understanding the Banyan 5.52(5) and 5.53(6) do not comply with the
>UNC (Universal Naming Conventions for Networks). This causes a problem with
>MS-Office Setup because MS-Office creates a temp drive to install MSAPPS on
>networks that don't use this convention. Does Banyan 5.54(5) comply with
>this convention? Will Banyan ever? I'm a little foggy on who decided on the
>naming convention, and if it's really universal.
>
>Michael
>
>TSgt Michael J. Hanley
>Gunslinger (Troubleshooter)
>141CF/SCM Fairchild AFB WA
>M=Hanley%SC%141...@WASKA.ANG.AF.MIL
>
Michael and John,

I likewise had this problem installing the MS Office applications on 3
different systems (all 5.54(0) systems w/ Compaq servers). You are correct
that a temp drive (I got both X:\ and Y:\ drives) gets setup. Microsoft has
bulletins acknowledging the problem and their workarounds are basically
worthless. They basicallly suggest one of the following:

1. Edit the ini's w/ search and replace in a wordprocessor.
2. Permanently remap to the phantom drive setup. <yea, right>.

Obviously, I opted for 1., but it was a pain.

John, I'd like to read the TB on this from Banyan. Which one is it, and is
it on csus, or would you send it to me please if not (and you have it
readily avail.). Thanking you in advance.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Franklin M. Cantrell III Day Phone: 713.651.9301
Systems Consulting Day Fax: 713.651.0928
Houston, Texas Nite Fax: 713.977.1504
fran...@sam.neosoft.com Compuserve: 73354,2414
----------------------------------------------------------------

Phil Ketchum

unread,
Nov 30, 1994, 6:03:15 AM11/30/94
to bany...@vm1.cc.uakron.edu
Forwarded to: Internet[bany...@vm1.cc.uakron.edu]
cc:
Comments by: Phil Ketchum@MIS@Edwards
Comments:

A better workaround is available for the Universal Naming Convention problem
in the technical bulletin from Microsoft.

Basically when installing the software to the network with SETUP/A you will
see the name of the file service's StreetTalk Name. Delete this line and
press OK. You will see an error message, just ignore it and press OK. The
installation will continue and complete successfully.

Run SETUP on the client machines and you will NOT have any references to an X
or Y drive in your WIN.INI.

Phil Ketchum - CBE
Baxter Healthcare
ketc...@cvg.baxter.com

-------------------------- [Original Message] -------------------------

Jim McGowan

unread,
Nov 29, 1994, 11:50:24 PM11/29/94
to
> Hi Guys,

>
> It is my understanding the Banyan 5.52(5) and 5.53(6) do not comply with the
> UNC (Universal Naming Conventions for Networks). This causes a problem with
> MS-Office Setup because MS-Office creates a temp drive to install MSAPPS on
> networks that don't use this convention. Does Banyan 5.54(5) comply with
> this convention? Will Banyan ever? I'm a little foggy on who decided on the
> naming convention, and if it's really universal.

Michael,
VINES currently does not support the UNC but Microsoft has a workaround.
Banyan has a copy of the bullitin. Ask your VAR to get you a copy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
| Jim McGowan | Internet: mcg...@iia.org |
| CBE, CBI, CNE, Folio Consultant | Fax: |
| | Beeper: 800-617-0181 |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Opinions expressed by me are not my opinions. |
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Simmonds

unread,
Nov 25, 1994, 12:07:41 PM11/25/94
to
Franklin,

To edit .INI files the easy way, use INIMERGE available from csus.edu

Regards

Paul Simmonds
VINES Network Manager

+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Paul Simmonds | Voice : (UK) O235 528822 ext 4609 |
| CODAS Division | : (UK) 0235 464609 direct dial |
| JET Joint Undertaking | : (Int) +44 235 464609 direct dial |
| Abingdon | FAX : (Int) +44 235 464404 (UK) 0235 464404 |
| Oxfordshire | E-mail: Paul.S...@jet.uk (UK & World) |
| OX14 3EA |----------------------------------------------------|
| United Kingdom | JET - Europe's (EC Funded) Fusion Research Project |
+-----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Disclaimer: Any views expressed are mine, and do not reflect those of JET |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Kris Holloway

unread,
Dec 2, 1994, 12:20:58 PM12/2/94
to
Paul Simmonds <Paul.S...@JET.UK> Wrote:

| Franklin,
|
| To edit .INI files the easy way, use INIMERGE available from csus.edu

Paul - just checked csus.edu and couldn't find INIMERGE; I checked the Windows
and Utilities subdirs - is it somewhere else? Please email me direct as
Banyan-L mail has not been coming through.

TFTD (Thought For The Day): If life hands you lemons, make whiskey sours!

+-----------------------------------------------------+
| Kris Holloway "My opinions are my own, |
| khol...@diamond.com but whitehouse.gov owns |
| FAX: 713.529.1147 everything else!" |
+-----------------------------------------------------+
*** Roadkill on the Information Highway ***
-------------------------------------------------------

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages