ANSCR classification

Yvonne J. Beever

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
Hello, fellow Autocatters. Once again, I come for help! The copy of the
ANSCR manual I have is dated 1969! Can someone tell me what the
classification is for gospel/Christian music? I thought there was a newer
classification than just placing them in MA, MC or P, as it says in this
edition.

Thanks in advance!!!
Yvonne J. Beever
Technical Services Librarian/
Systems Administrator
Jasper County Public Library
Rensselaer, Indiana
jcp...@nitco.com
le...@pla-net.net

Cynthia L. Peterson

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
Yvonne,

I worked extensively with ANSCR for about 4 years and there was no
separate classification number for gospel. It was lumped into popular
music if I recall. However, I always felt free to add another letter to
existing classifications when I thought there was a need. You might want
to pick popular music and add a second letter for gospel, rock, etc. As
long as you put in your procedures what you do in that case you should be
all right! Good luck.

Cynthia Peterson, Assistant Manager
Database Development & Control
U.T. Southwestern Medical Center Library Voice:(214) 648-3906
5323 Harry Hines Blvd. FAX:(214) 648-2826
Dallas, Texas 75235-9049 pete...@medcat.library.swmed.edu

Richard Watts

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
There is an "ANSCR Supplement 1988" by Linda L. Hansen, published by
Professional Media Services. It includes several new classification
categories, including "MG" for Contemporary Christian/Gospel.

Richard Watts
San Bernardino County Library, Calif.

Linda Dolence

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
Thhe
The ANSCR classification for Gospel and Contemporary Christian
music is MG.
--
Linda E. Dolence : Catalog Librarian : Virginia Beach Central Library
4100 Virginia Beach Blvd. : Virginia Beach, VA 23452

Reissig

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
The 1988 ANSCR supplement established category MG for "contemporary
Christian/gospel music," MJ for "jazz music" and MR for "rock, rhythm and
blues, reggae, rap music, etc." Class numbers for these three categories
all have 2nd, 3rd and 4th terms constructed as are those for category MA.

Anne Reissig
Patchogue-Medford Library
54-60 E. Main St.
Patchogue NY 11772