Jazz Sux huh huh

1 view

thomason don

Nov 19, 1993, 6:04:24 PM11/19/93
From n.n. -

> Yes, that is it exactly: I hate jazz. But I want to like jazz... I'm
> just slowly collecting opinions on possible paths to such an epiphany.
>
> Actually, that is only about half-true. I think I hate the jazz attitude,
> and I allow that to stand in the way of *truly* enjoying jazz (in much the
> same way that the metal mindset taints my objectivity regarding that
> genre).

This is one more reason that I willfully keep myself in the dark about
jazz and classical performers/composers. I have to deal internally with
the "politics" of who's good/who sucks with the more commercially popular
genres; when I discovered classical and jazz long ago, I had a unique
opportunity to appreciate the music for *only* what I heard, history
unseen. I like to keep it that way. This is about the only know-nothingism
I could bring myself to embrace or espouse.

BTW, did anyone bug you about the identity of the now-famous musical person
I knew "back when" -- when I took a few days off a while ago, I mentioned
that you knew (with friends like me, who needs enemas :-)

Don Thomason ~
a/k/a zzt...@acc.wuacc.edu ~ OMC? We don't need no steenking OMC!
Washburn University of Topeka ~

Jeff Preston

Nov 20, 1993, 8:04:06 AM11/20/93

In a previous article, zzt...@ACC.WUACC.EDU (thomason don) says:

>From n.n. -

>> Actually, that is only about half-true. I think I hate the jazz attitude,
>> and I allow that to stand in the way of *truly* enjoying jazz (in much the
>> same way that the metal mindset taints my objectivity regarding that
>> genre).

>This is one more reason that I willfully keep myself in the dark about
>jazz and classical performers/composers. I have to deal internally with
>the "politics" of who's good/who sucks with the more commercially popular
>genres; when I discovered classical and jazz long ago, I had a unique
>opportunity to appreciate the music for *only* what I heard, history
>unseen. I like to keep it that way. This is about the only know-nothingism
>I could bring myself to embrace or espouse.

Yeah, you're right Don -- snobbery is certainly not unique to jazz,
and I'm sure the less attention given to it, the better off you'll be,
even if that leads you to end up with loads of Ravel, Journey and
Kenny G discs in your collection. :)

Huh? Ah well, it's damn early, and I'm throwing a party tonight...
here's the shortlist for "n.n."'s housecleaning music:

_Ritual de lo Habitual_ Jane's Addiction
_Jigsaw_ Mike Stern
_Bring 'Em Back Alive_ Dixie Dregs
_Skin_ Psychefunkapus
_Bundles_ Soft Machine (obligatory A.H. content)
_Illicit_ Tribal Tech
_Strangeitude_ Ozric Tentacles

And Jen, no worries about me spilling beer tonight: we're drinking
Market Street Golden Ale, which I could catch before it hit the floor.
It's that good. Beergasm. Besides, it's my floor. :)

>BTW, did anyone bug you about the identity of the now-famous musical person
>I knew "back when" -- when I took a few days off a while ago, I mentioned
>that you knew (with friends like me, who needs enemas :-)

No, Don... this crowd basically ignores me until I start beating on
some deserving newbie. I think they figure I'm just going to talk about
Holdsworth, so why bother. Besides, I think we're getting used to
rubbing shoulders with the Rich & Famous (tm), so maybe it's just
becoming a passe subject.

Jeff ("n.n.")

--
Jeff Preston =*= Moderator of the Allan Holdsworth discussion forum
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*= atavachro...@msuacad.morehead-st.edu =*=*=*=