English: Report 295

Human Rights Council

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
=*=*= A l b a N e w s - Mon, 15 Apr 1996 13:11:19 GMT-05 =*=*=

&==>137
^==>135

REPORT No. 295

ON THE WIDESPREAD REPRESSION AND HARASSMENT PERPETRATED BY THE
SERBIAN POLICE AND OTHER AUTHORITIES IN KOSOVA FROM MARCH 31 UNTIL
APRIL 7, 1996

March 31st,

PRISHTINA: Arsim B&rbatovci (1964) from Barileva village, was
summoned for weapons to the police station. Arsim was many times
before summoned for weapons to the police station, his house was
raided, and his wife Nexhmije B&rbatovci (21), his father Qazim
B&rbatovci (65) and his brother Elhami B&rbatovci (20) were all
taken hostage. In May last year, Arsim was sentenced to a two
months' term of imprisonment.
LIPJAN: In Gadime village, the police interrupted the volley-ball
match between the teams of "Arb&ria" and "Suhareka" and took for
"informative talks" the captains of the teams Xhavit Mustafa and
Agim Abdullahu, and Refki Ejupi, teacher from Gadime village.

April 1st,

PRISHTINA: Naim T&rnava, professor and principal of the religious
school "Alaudin" in Prishtina, was interrogated by the Serbian
state security inspectors about gatherings and meetings in the
premises of the school. The inspectors threatened him to stop
holding the Assembly of the Albanian party UNIKOMB, as well as any
other event and meeting. Judging by the questions Mr. T&rnava had
to answer, he stated that the police knew very well every move in
the religious school.
VUSHTRRI: Rifat Gruda was raided for weapons, physically ill-
treated and ordered to report again to the police station together
with his brother Haradin Gruda.
MITROVICA: Festim Jahja Azemi, living at "Qendra" quarter, was
searched by the police. Festim and his cousin Fatlum Azemi (18) had
escaped 4 months ago after being brutally beaten by the police
because of a broken window in the building of the "M. Bekteshi"
primary school. Hata Azem Salihu (76) from Ka^andolli village and
her son Qazim Azem Salihu (48), were summoned to the court because
of a revolver owned by her other son Isuf Azem Salihu (40), who is
now abroad. Shyqeri Ismajl Emini (28) from Shipoli village, was
arrested in the street by two policemen and kept for 10 hours at
the police station, where the police confiscated 550 DM sent by his
son from Germany.
GJILAN: Ruhan Robelli (47), a farmer from V&rbica village, was
twice summoned for weapons to the police station.
PEJA: Naim Brahim Krasniqi (1963), chairman of the local LDK sub-
branch in Vranoc village, and Islam Berisha (1959), member of the
chairmanship of the local LDK sub-branch in Krushec village, were
summoned to the police station. They were both interrogated about
their political activities, while Islam was also interrogated about
the activities of the Charity Association "Mother Theresa".
MALISHEVA: Rrahman B. Hoti (20) from Carralluka village, was
arrested by the policemen of the local police station of Kijeva.
The motive is unknown. Together with the policemen was also Selim
Krasniqi, a gipsy, because of whom many Albanians of this district
have suffered.

April 2nd,

MITROVICA: Bajram Hamit Shala (45) from Vidishiqi village, was
arrested, and Bislim Emin Tahiri (48) from Vllahia village, was
summoned for weapons to the local police station of Stari-T&rg.
MALISHEVA: In Drenoc village, the police raided for weapons the
house of Sinan Krasniqi and summoned him to report to the local
police station of Kijeva, where he was interrogated about his
brother Osman Krasniqi, temporarily employed in Switzerland. Also
in Drenoc village, the house of Isuf Krasniqi was raided for
weapons, and his son Bekim Krasniqi was ordered to report together
with his father to the police station next week.
FERIZAJ: Sabit Hyseni (1926) was summoned for weapons to the local
police station of Nerodimje village.
GLLOGOVC: The workers of the enterprise "Ferronikli" were on a one
day strike, because of an intervention of the police there, because
of the very low wages and the very bad working conditions.
SHTIME: Selim Ismaili from Mullopolci village, Halit Ademaj and
Misin Shasivari from Shtime, and Sylejman Ramadani from Godanc
village, were summoned for weapons to the police station.
KAMENICA: In Mu^iv&rc village, the police searched weapons from
Musa (55), Zejdi (25), Ruzhdi (52) and Islam Bojku (60).

April 3rd,

GLLOGOVC: The police and two state security employees arrested Naim
Bujupi, principal of the "Emin Duraku" primary school of Arllat
village and member of the Sub-CDHRF of Gllogovc. He was
interrogated about the activities of the school and of the
Sub-council and about the 15th anniversary of the demonstrations in
1981, threatened him and then released him. The financial police
interfered in the premises of the "Leonik Tomeu" Secondary
Technical School of Gllogovc and interrogated Gani Krasniqi,
principal of the school. The police interrogated him about the list
of wages and about the way the school is financed.
MITROVICA: Enver Shaban Tahiri (25), who was wounded in the
demonstrations of 1990, was searched by the police in his house in
"Tavnik" quarter. They ordered his father Shaban Bajram Tahiri (52)
to report to the Secretariate for Interior Affairs within two days
and to bring his son with him. In Kopriva village, brothers Hajzer
(43) and Ismet Zymer Kadriu (36) were summoned for weapons to the
police station. The police searched for a revolver of their father,
who died 7 years ago.

April 4th,

MALISHEVA: A Serbian police squad from Suhareka went into the house
of Murat M. Krasniqi (1959) in Lladroviq village and searched from
him a rifle and a revolver.
SUHAREKA: Agim Rra^i, educational adviser, was kept for 5 hours at
the premises of the Serbian state security, where he was
interrogated about the Albanian education and the way of school
financing. He was physically ill-treated and ordered to report
again to the police station.
GJILAN: On March 28, the police raided the house of Hasan Daku,
living at "Q. ^eshme" 47, who is now together with some of his
family members in Switzerland. During this action, the police
arrested Hasan's son Elsadat Daku, pupil of the "Marin Barleti"
Secondary School of Gjilan. Elsadat was kept for some hours at the
police station, was interrogated about his father and afterwards
was released. Today, he was arrested again and was kept for two
hours at the police station, while his elder brother Nehat H. Daku
(1974), afraid from the police, escaped. Elsadat, after being
released, also escaped somewhere, in fear that they will take him
again.
SHTIME: A Serbian police squad went into the house of Shefqet
Ismajli (35), temporarily working in Switzerland, who had come home
for holidays. After two hours, together with him, they came again
to his house and raided it threatening his 15 family members
disturbing the women and the children. Shefqet was physically ill-
treated at the police station. Because of such repression, many
workers of this district who work abroad are afraid to come back
home for holidays.

April 5th,

GJILAN: Sabit M. Kurteshi (1958), teacher at the "Selami Halla^i"
Primary School, living at "Rade Popovic" str. 17, was taken to the
police station for "informative discussions" about his political
activities as a secretary of the Albanian National Democratic
Party, local branch in Gjilan, as well as about his father Mehmet
Kurteshi's political activities who is an activist of the Albanian
Demochristian party, and in particular about his brother Sami M.
Kurteshi's, secretary of CDHRF in Prishtina, activities and where
he is presently.
MITROVICA: On 2, 3, 4 and 5 April, Riza Isufi (60) from the village
of Vaganica, was summoned for weapons to the police.

April 6th,

PRISHTINA: Six Serbian policemen interrupted the printing of the
Albanian weekly "Koha". They closed the printing office and took
for "informative discussions" the director Lutfi Zhilivoda, who was
released after some hours. As the policemen said, the magazine
cannot continue to be published unless the materials for the next
number will be delivered first "for a control" to the police. The
editorial office of "Koha" in a press statement said that they do
not intend to deliver their manuscripts for a control to the
police. The editorial office informs the media that this is the
second police intervention within this year. Some days ago, also
their cooperator Astrit Salihu was ill-treated.
The police intervened at the premises where were held
exercises of the "Murat Mehmeti" cultural artistic society of
Prishtina, interrupted its work and checked the participants'
identity. After having taken their ID-cards, they ordered Ibrahim
Makolli (1968), leader of the society, and Xhevdet Leci (1965),
vice-chairman of the society, to report to the police, on the
pretext that they are organizing the political and artistic life in
Kosova.

DELAYED INFORMATION:

FERIZAJ: On 19 and 22 March, there were taken to the police: Sherif
Biba (1918) with his sons Ismet (1955) and Sylejman (1968) from the
village of Jezerc, while on 22, 25, 27 and 29 March and 1 April,
also their brother Jakup Biba, chairman of the local LDK sub-branch
in the village of Jezerc, was taken to the police. On 22 March,
Sabri Sahiti from the village of Komogllava, was taken to the
security center of Ferizaj for weapons.
PEJA: Frok Berisha from the village of Gllogjan, former journalist
of Radio-Television of Prishtina and an activist of the Albanian
Demochristian Party, was summoned for "informative discussions"
about his political activities to the security center of Peja.
GJILAN: On 29 March, there were summoned for weapons to the police:
Aziz Bajra (1949), a farmer from the village of Makreshi i Ul&t,
who was physically ill-treated; Sylejman Daku (1944), unemployed,
from Gjilan, "Q. ^eshme" str. no. 11; and Abdullah Robelli (1931),
a farmer from the village of V&rbica.
MITROVICA: On 18 March, two Serbian policemen stopped in the center
of the town Gani Muharrem Gerxhaliu with the words "Who are you to
keep your head too much up?", checked his identity, beat him until
he fainted, and like this brought him to the hospital where he
stayed for three days. Afterwards, he had to be treated at home for
two weeks. On 22, 23 and 26 March, Veli Ramadan Sherifi (49) from
the village of Zhabar i Posht&m, an employee of the bread factory
of Mitrovica, was taken for weapons to the police and physically
ill-treated. On 28 March, in the village of Suhodoll, the police
searched Niman Halit Tahiri (38). As he was not at home, they
searched weapons from his father, Halit Hajr Tahiri (77). On 29
March, a Muslim policeman named Arif, who is working with the
Serbian police, stopped for the fourth time, ill-treated and
plundered Hajriz Hamit Istrefi (48), a former miner from Mitrovica,
living at "Bair" quarter, who was after his dismissal dealing with
"retail trade" to make a living for his big family. This time, Arif
plundered from Hajriz a lamp, a set of sports clothes, 8 pairs of
children's socks.
KLINA: On 4 and 11 March, Xhem& Ram& Kolludra from the village of
Gremnik, owner of the firm "Xhemi-Benz", who was searched before by
the police and who was sheltered in Albania, was taken for weapons.
At the police station, he was interrogated about his political
activities and about the MP of Kosova, Gani Veseli, as well for
some Kosova-Albanian students who study in Albania.
On 21 March, some Serbian employees of the seeds factory of
the village of Klinavc, provoked and offended on a national basis
the family members of Bajram Tov&rlani, former commander retired,
as well as his brother Rrustem Tov&rlani, Rrustem's wife and the
7-years-old child Elvis. Bajram identified only the names of Mile
Vidic and Rasha Vucicevic, who complained to the Serbian director
of the factory, who apologized for the behaviour of his employees.
On 27 March, while he was waiting to pick up his passport, the
police arrested Isuf Bajraktari (1964) from the village of
Jashanica, and searched weapons from him. As he said that he did
not have any weapon, the police brutally physically-ill treated him
at the local police station of Klina. Afterwards, they went with
him to the village of Jashanica and raided his house. As they
failed to find any weapon, they beat up Isuf in front of his family
members, while his mother fainted from the dismay. Isuf was again
taken by the police and kept until the next day at the police
station of Klina, where he was again physically ill-treated and
threatened that he will not be let in peace, until he hands over a
weapon. On 27 March, Imer Taf& Myrtaj from the village of
Jashanica, was summoned, and on 29 March, he reported to the
police. As he did not have any weapon, the police released him
without ill-treating him.
PRISHTINA: In a police "action" against cigarettes sellers in the
street, the police arrested and brutally ill-treated Shpend Ramadan
G&rbeshi from the village of Hajvali, who suffered physical
injuries and had to search for medical care.
KA^ANIK: On 22 March, Maksut Kemajl Hoxha (1950), a geodesist,
living at "Ramiz Sadiku" str., was summoned for "informative
discussions" about his political activities. On the same motive,
also Mutalip Abdullah Jezerci (1957), an employee, living in
Ka^anik, "R. Agushi" str., was taken on 27 March. On 27 and 28
March, Zeqir Topalli (1967), a farmer from the village of Soponica,
was summoned for weapons to the police.
RAHOVEC: On 25 March, Rifat B. Morina from the village of Ratkocer,
was summoned for weapons and was left with an order to report again
to the police.
SUHAREKA: On 29 March, unknown persons broke into the premises of
the District Financing Council and the premises of the travel
agency "Qimi Tours", which are in the some building, demolished
them and confiscated a part of the documentation and some material.
KAMENICA: There were summoned for weapons: on 25 March, Veli N.
Kryeziu, on 26 March, Musa Feti Kryeziu, on 28 March, Musli B.
Kastrati (75), Xhavit Suli^i and Nijazi Sh. Kryeziu, all of them
from the village of Rogo^ica; on 26 March, Ajvaz and Shaip Surdulli
from the village of Karaqeva, and on 29 and 30 March, Nuhi I.
Morina, a pensioner from the village of Hodonoc.
On 27 and 29 March, security inspectors interrogated Halit
Sylaj, member of the local LDK branch of Kamenica, about his
political activities and the work of the District Financing
Council. Ali Hoxha from the village of Kop&rnica, on 29 March was
interrogated by the state security authorities of Kamenica about
the work of the CDHRF sub-council of Kamenica.
MALISHEVA: On 18 March, Muj& Ferat Krasniqi from the village of
Lladrovc, was raided and physically ill-treated for weapons. On 30
March in the village Panorc, the families of Haxhi F. Sahitaj (68),
Muharrem F. Sahitaj (65), and Ismajl M. Rudi (33) were raided.

Prishtina, 7 April 1996 CDHRF Information Service
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

| AlbaNews: Albanian News List Alba...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |
| ftp:ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/albanian Usenet:bit.listserv.albanian |
| To signoff from AlbaNews e-mail to: list...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |
| In the body of the message include: SIGNOFF AlbaNews |