English: Report 294/CDHRF

Human Rights Council

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
=*=*= A l b a N e w s - Fri, 5 Apr 1996 11:42:51 GMT-05 =*=*=

&=3D=3D>137
^=3D=3D>135

REPORT No. 294
ON THE WIDESPREAD REPRESSION AND HARASSMENT PERPETRATED BY THE
SERBIAN POLICE AND OTHER AUTHORITIES IN KOSOVA FROM MARCH 24 UNTIL
MARCH 31, 1996

March 24th,

GLLOGOVC: The police stopped and checked the identity of the
teacher Hajriz Fazliu from the village of Gradica, Tahir Selmani,
and Lumnije Prenku from the village Dobroshevc. Hajriz Fazliu who
is a collaborator of CDHRF's sub-council in Gllogovc, was
interrogated by the police about his activities in the sub-council
and was left with an order to report to the police. Two days
before, also Hajriz' brother Agush Fazliu was physically
ill-treated.
OBILIQ: For weapons were taken to the police Bahtir Tha=E7i, Hetem
Hoti with his son Rexhep Hoti from the village of Sibovc, Mehdi,
Qamil, Brahim, Hamit, Abdurrahim, and Asllan Ibrahimi, all of them
from the village of Plemetina. Asllan was also physically ill-
treated at the police station.
FERIZAJ: Nearby Ferizaj, the police stopped in the street the
presentor of the Albanian program of Radio-Ars of Gostivar, Pajtim
Saiti, arrested him, confiscated his passport, ID card, some
materials and magazines published in Kosova, and left him with an
order to report to the police the following day, where he was
interrogated for two hours and at last given back his documents
except some family photos, and released him.
PODUJEVA: A Serbian police squad went to the homes of Bajram
Mehmeti, Isuf Rrahimi, Tafil Musliu, Halil Mehana, Nazmi Beqiri,
and Habib Gashi searching an Albanian teacher called Sheqir.

March 25th,

FERIZAJ: On 23 and 25 March, Gani Lama (1947) from the village of
Semaja (Ka=E7anik), was taken for weapons to the security center of
Ferizaj. The police searched weapons also from Ejup and Ismajl
Topalli, and summoned to the police also Ismajl's son Burim Topalli
(16). To the local police station of the village of Babush was also
taken Jonuz Bajrami with his wife and four children, one of which
is a baby.To the local police station of the village of Nerodime
were taken father and son Shefki and Xhemajl Hajdari, from whom the
police confiscated a mobile phone. On 23 and 25 March, Gani Cami
from the village of Ga=E7ka, was taken for weapons to the police.
PRISHTINA: The boy Perica Jociq twice threw a stone and broke a
window of the mosque in Hajvali, at the time when the believers
were praying. The following day, there were taken for interrogation
to the police: Mulla Ismet Limani, muezzin of the mosque, Haxhi Isa
Pacolli, and Izet Metolli. Perica's father Zoran Jociq threatened
that the next time he "will pull down the mosque", when the
eye-witnesses went to his home.
SHTIME: There were taken for weapons to the police and physically
ill-treated Hasan Ndrecaj (43) from "Lagjja e pajtimit" quarter,
and Fetah Hasani (40) from Shtimje.
DE=C7AN: Rrustem Dobraj, member of the LDK Information Commission,
was taken for "informative discussion" about the work of the
commission and CDHRF sub-council to the police. The police searched
Mehmet Osaj, chairman of the local LDK sub-branch in De=E7an, at his
home. The police stopped in the street and searched weapons from
Xhem=EB Kukulaj, chairman of the local LDK branch in the village of
Voksh.
MITROVICA: Behram Shaban Miftari (60) from the village of Vllahia,
was summoned for weapons to the local police station of Stari-T=EBrg.
GJAKOVA: Large military and police forces are concentrated in the
center of the town. The hotel "Pashtrik" was surrounded, and a tank
was parked behind it. All passers-by are controlled by the police.
VUSHTRRI: Shaip Azemi, chairman of the local LDK sub-branch in the
village of Maxhunaj, sentenced before to 15 days imprisonment for
"organizing illegal lessons", was summoned today to the court for
petty offenses.
GLLOGOVC: Hajriz Fazliu, employed at the "Rilindja" primary school
in the village of Dobroshevc, was taken for weapons to the police.
PODUJEVA: The police searched weapons from Ragip Tov=EBrlani in the
village of Polonoca.

March 26th,

PRIZREN: The Serbian inspectors closed down for the second time the
ambulance of the Charity Association "Mother Theresa", on the
pretext that its leader dr. Rexhep Hoxha has to register the
ambulance on his name. During 1995 only, in this ambulance were
carried out 54.000 free medical visits and were given free
medicaments.
GJAKOVA: Zef Osmani, former principal of the primary school in the
village of Cerrmjan, was informed by the Serbian attorney's office
installed in Gjakova that the charge was brought against him for
having called upon the staff of this school "not to respect the
Serbian state's authorities' decisions" and for "not applyingthe
Serbian school programs" in 1991.
FERIZAJ: To the security center was taken Agron Hasani from
Ferizaj, an activist of the district financing council.
PODUJEVA: For weapons were taken and physically ill-treated the
following persons: Isuf Qazim Latifi from the village of Dobratin,
Nazmi Miftar Lepaja, and Shefki Gjata from the village of Baj=E7ina,
and Qerim Kurteshi from Podujeva.
GJILAN: Nusret Maloku (1968), chairman of the financing sub-council
and member of the village's local LDK branch of V=EBrbica e
Kmetovcit, was taken for the alleged possession of weapons and
brutally physically ill-treated.
VUSHTRRI: Brothers Ramadan, Hashim, Rexhep, and Selim Pllana from
the village of Dolak, were summoned to the police on the pretext
that somebody in their village burned the Serbian flags on orthodox
graves. Raided for weapons, taken to the police and physically
ill-treated were brothers Vesel, Shaban, Kadri, and Hysen Selmani,
as well as Isa Hasani (67).
HANI I ELEZIT: A police squad of more than 70 policemen raided for
tobacco and weapons the villages of Dimce and Paldenica. They
failed to find any weapon, but confiscated a great quantity of
tobacco from the producers Nehat, Adem, Nefail, and Xhemal Suma in
the village of Dimce, as well as from Arif Jashar Dernjani in the
village of Paldenica. In the village of Dimce, the police
confiscated also cigarettes in a value of about 500 DM at the home
of Nebi Suma, while from his brother they took 700 DM. On this
occasion, the police ill-treated the following persons: Ruzhdi,
Rifat, Kadri, Fadil, Sabri, and Arif Dernjani, Vehbi Ramuka, and
Nuredin Qupi, all of them from the village of Paldenica.

March 27th,

PEJA: The security inspectors interrogated and kept for two hours
for "informative discussion" the former journalist of TV
Prishtina, Rrok Berisha. He was questioned about the organization
of the Albanian Demochristian Party of Kosova (PSHDK) in the
villages of Gllogjan, Lugagji and Nepole, about the organization of
its branches in these villages, and about ADPK's president, the
academician Mark Krasniqi, its representative in Tirana, etc.
FERIZAJ: Rrustem Sefedini, member of the local LDK branch's
presidency and chairman of the educational district council, was
taken and kept for three hours for "informative discussion" at the
police station. In the night of 26 and 27 March, unknown persons
broke into the premises of the "Faik Konica" economic high school
and of the "Kastrioti" carate club.
PRISHTINA: In the village of Barileva, the police interrupted the
football match of the teams "Traktori" and "Bakshia", and
interrogated the team leaders. The principal of the "Ali Kelmendi"
primary school Nexhmi Shala was summoned for "informative
discussion".
VUSHTRRI: Ram=EB Murati from the village of Be=E7uk, and Haki Maxhuni
(54) from the village of Maxhunaj, were summoned for weapons and
physically ill-treated at the police station.
MITROVICA: For weapons to the police were summoned Bajram Hamit
Shala (45) from the village of Vidishiq, and Bislim Emin Tahiri
(48) from the village of Vllahia.
PRIZREN: For two weeks now, continuously is taken for interrogation
about weapons Masar A. Tamaj from the village of Kushnin. The last
time, he was left with an order to report together with his brother
Arif Temaj.
DE=C7AN: The security inspectors arrested and kept for two hours at
the police station Mehmet Osaj, chairman of the local LDK
sub-branch in De=E7an. He was interrogated about who was the
organizer of the late Brahim Shabanaj's burial who had died last
week in a hospital in Belgrade from the injuries caused by Serbian
colonists installed in De=E7an, who massacred also his brother Ali
Shabanaj.
KA=C7ANIK: The former employee of the secretariate of defence of the
District Assembly of Ka=E7anik Mutalip Abdullah Jezerci (1957),
living at "Ramadan Agushi" str., was summoned for "informative
talks" to the security center in Ferizaj, where he was interrogated
about political activities in the district by the inspectors
Lubisha Llazareviq and Vesko X.

March 28th,

PRISHTINA: The police intervened at some primary and high schools
and prevented holding the lessons, as Serbia proclaimed 28 March as
a "National Holiday". At the "Sami Frash=EBri" high school, the
police checked the identity of pupils and the teacher Fahrije
Nik=EBprelaj who was holding lessons. Very many schools of the
district of Prishtina and other districts of Kosova were closed
down by the compulsory principals, locked, and they do not allow
the lessons in Albanian.
GJILAN: The Serbian compulsory principal of the "Ramiz C=EBrnica"
primary school in the village of C=EBrrnica locked the school and did
not allow the pupils to enter. The police searched and summoned for
weapons Qazim Maloku who is temporarily in Switzerland, Abdullah
Robelli from the village of V=EBrbica, Xhavit (1954), and Isak (1957)
Murati from the village of Bresalc. As none of them was at home,
the police interrogated and ill-treated Qazim's son Nusret (1968),
Xhavit's father Ilmi, and Isak's father Ejup Murati (70) who was
ill.
KA=C7ANIK: The police arrested and brutally ill-treated Zeqir Topali
(1967), a farmer, from the village of Soponica, for the reason that
he placed his house at the disposal of a high school for lessons.
At the police station, they searched also a weapon from him.

March 29th,

VITI: Nijazi Hoxha (1952) from Pozharani village, was violently
expelled from his flat by some policemen and the representatives of
the "Vinex" enterprise of Vitia. Nijazi, also dismissed from his
job by force in 1990, was living in this social flat for some time
now and had all needed documents to be allowed to do so. Before the
policemen came, Nijazi settled his wife and his children in a
private flat. In Nijazi's flat settled Vujiq, technical director of
"Vinex" enterprise and son-in-law of Vesko Periq, deputy of the
Serbian parliament.
PODUJEVA: Sylejman Zejnullahu, Rrahim, and Jahir Ki=E7mari, all of
them from Lladrovci village, were taken to the police station.
PRISHTINA: Nuhi Jonuz Bunjaku (1954), machine engineer, former
political prisoner, living at "Llapi" way 58/19, was kept for two
hours at the police station, where the inspector Filiq - File
interrogated him about his visit to Albania, about the activities
of the National Trade Union and it's activists, and also about the
policy of the Albanian State and Albanian political parties in
Kosova.

March 30th,

MITROVICA: Two traffic policemen stopped in the street the bus KM
156-35, driven by Emrush Ferizi, and sent the bus to a technical
control. When Emrush came back from there with the proof that there
was nothing wrong with the bus, one of the policemen insulted
Emrush with his nationality, took his driving licence and ordered
him to report to the police station the next day.

March 31st,

PODUJEVA: Qazim Maqastena from Reka e Madhe village, was beaten up
in the garden of his house in front of the family members by some
Serbian policemen.
MITROVICA: On the road Peja - Mitrovica in Runik village
(Skenderaj), two policemen stopped Shukri Syl=EB Musliu (36),
taxi-driver, living in "Tavnik" quarter of Mitrovica, ill-treated
him and insulted him with his nationality for one hour, and
threatened him not to tell anybody about the ill-treatments.

DELAYED INFORMATION:

ISTOG: On March 11, the police interfered at the assembly of the
LDK Women Forum's branch, interrupted the assembly's session, and
checked the identity of the following activists: Shaban Manaj, Isa
Bajraj, Idriz Blakaj, Ferat Hajzeraj, Fatmushe Manaj, Fehime
Selimi-Bajra, and the guests from Prishtina Nekibe Kelmendi and
Hasime Istrefi, lawyers, and Dr. Edi Shukriu, archeologist. On
March 15, state security inspectors took for "informative talks"
Ram=EB Berisha from Saradrani village, member of the Chairmanship of
the local LDK branch in Istog, and interrogated him about the
activities of the state and the party. On March 16 in Llukavc t=EB
Begut village, Serbian policemen expelled from his job Sejdi Curri,
assistant at the "Fan Noli" primary school, while on March 18,
Muhamet Shabanaj, another assistant of this school, was stopped in
the street by the police. The police threatened him for having
participated in the celebration of the School Day on March 13. On
the same pretext on March 19, Gani Beqiraj, teacher of this school,
was interrogated. On March 22, Nasir Kabashi, assistant principal
of the "Haxhi Zeka" college, was taken for "informative talks" to
the local police station of Gjyrakovc village and afterwards to
Istog. He was interrogated about the educational system of this
district and about Ferat Hajzeraj, Adem Geci, and other activists
of the Albanian political parties.
LIPJAN: From March 20 until March 23, Rexhep Hajrullahu from
Banulla village, was taken for weapons to the police station and
physically ill-treated. On March 22, the police searched the house
of Rexhep and the house of his brother Milaim Hajrullahu.
GJILAN: On March 19, to the police station were summoned for
weapons and physically ill-treated Ramadan K=EBrqeli (1955),
unemployed, living at "Qenar =C7eshme", and Shaqir Bruqi (1941),
employee of the library of Bresalc village.
KAMENICA: The police searched weapons from the following persons:
on March 17, from Shukri H. Morina from Hodonoc village, on March
19, from Refik Mehmet Dervishi from Koretin village who was also
physically ill-treated, on March 21 and 22, from Islam B. D=EBrmaku
(1968), Ramadan Q. D=EBrmaku (1946), Qazim D=EBrmaku (1920), and
Dilaver H. D=EBrmaku (1961), all of them from Shipashnica village,
on March 23, from Ramadan I. Morina, and Ramadan Rrustem Morina
from Hodonoc village, and Muhamet R. Morina from Topanica village
who was kept at the police station for some hours and physically
ill-treated. On March 22, around 20 policemen blocked the clothes
market and plundered a great quantity of goods, they as well
arrested and kept around 30 civilians for some hours at the police
station, and many of them were physically ill-treated. Among those
who were badly ill-treated was Fehmi Kosumi (1960) from Kamenica,
who was ill-treated by the policeman Zhivoin Filiq from Kamenica.
MITROVICA: According to information collected lately, in the action
of the market inspectors, the police and inspectors of the
secretariate for interior affairs at the local market of Mitrovica
on March 16, goods in a value of 135.000 DM were confiscated from
the Albanian merchants.
VUSHTRRI: The police searched weapons in the house of Mustaf=EB
Haxhaj at Stanovc i Ep=EBrm village.
PRIZREN: On March 22, Xhafer Kabashi, cultural and educational
activist, was taken for "informative talks" to the police station
for the third time.
SUHAREKA: On March 23, Zenel Bajram Gashi from Mohlani village, was
arrested for weapons. He was released in order to report again
together with his son Reshat.
SKENDERAJ: On March 1 at about 5.00 a.m., large police forces
surrounded the house of Smail J. Nura, worker from Prellovci
village, gathered all the men in the garden of the house where they
kept them in the very cold for 2 hours, and tortured them.
Afterwards, they raided the house and demolished all the furniture.
The older man in the house and his two sons Sami and Ruzhdi
suffered very bad body injuries. As the police did not find any of
the items they were looking for, they released all of them at about
4.00 a..m. This family had been raided and ill-treated many times
before. After the police had raided the house of Smajl Nura, they
raided next the house of Bejtullah Jakupi, and continued the raid
also at Qirez village. On March 14, Syl=EB Gecaj, former reporter of
defence of the former communal assembly, was sentenced by the
Serbian court of Mitrovica to a term of 5 months' imprisonment for
keeping weapons without license. On March 21, to the police
station the following persons were summoned for weapons: Ahmet
Bajra, Ali Aliu, Shaban Rexhepi, Sami Aliu, Mehmet, and Hashim
Hajra, all of them from Izbica village. Mehmet and Hashim were
physically ill-treated. On March 22, the police stopped in the
street the young men Naim and Nuredin Lushaku from Prekazi i
Posht=EBm village who were riding a car. They both managed to escape
from the police.
GLLOGOVC: Elmi Hysenaj (1962) from Obrija village, was summoned to
the police station on March 19, taken for "informative talks", and
was physically ill-treated at the secretariat for interior affairs
of Gllogovc and Prishtina on March 21. Elmi brought by his medical
report for the injuries he suffered at the police station.
FERIZAJ: The following persons were taken to the police station: on
March 18, Emin Musliu (75) from Slivova village, for weapons, on
March 23, Shefki Hajdari (1939) and his son Xhemajli Hajdari (1970)
from Jezerci village, for a mobile phone. On March 21, P=EBrparim
Brahimi (21) from Ferizaj, owner of a private butcher shop, was
ill-treated. On March 22, the police interfered in the premises of
the "Pjet=EBr Bogdani" technical secondary school of Ferizaj,
arrested Feriz Hasani, owner of the house school, confiscated some
certificates and the stamps of the school, and searched for Agim
Rexhepi, principal of this school.
KA=C7ANIK: On March 22, Maksut Kemajl Hoxha, geodesist and chairman
of the legitime communal government, well-known by all Albanians in
Ka=E7anik, was summoned to the secretariate for interior affairs for
"informative talks" and was interrogated about his political
activities. When he was released, he was ordered "not to make
public this case".

Prishtina, CDHRF Information Service
March 31, 1996
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

| AlbaNews: Albanian News List Alba...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |
| ftp:ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/albanian Usenet:bit.listserv.albanian |
| To signoff from AlbaNews e-mail to: list...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |
| In the body of the message include: SIGNOFF AlbaNews |