English: Kosova Daily Report 782

KIC - London

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
=*=*= A l b a N e w s - Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:43:27 GMT-05 =*=*=

[Attached File: C:\KIC\REP782.TXT Size: 7184]
Kosova Information Center
KOSOVA DAILY REPORT # 782
Prishtina, 3 January 1996

Presidents Rugova and Berisha Voice Confidence on Kosova's Better
Future

President Rugova of Kosova and President Berisha of Albania have
voiced their strong belief in a better future for Kosova. In two
separate televised New Year's messages, they both stressed 1996
will be of crucial importance for the resolution of the Kosova
issue, now that the flames of war in other areas of the former
Yugoslavia have been extinguished. "The outgoing year saw a
further internationalization, affirmation and
recognition of the Kosova issue by the international community",
President of the Republic of Kosova said in the New Year message
televised by the Albanian TV on Sunday. "We are hopeful the
coming year will see the resolution of many problems in Kosova
and generally of the Albanian question", Dr. Rugova said, adding:
"We hope, for we have been working hard on this, that the Kosova
issue will be resolved on the express will of the people of
Kosova".
President Rugova of Kosova ended his message with the words: "May
1996 bring a free, independent, and democratic Kosova!".
Albanian President Sali Berisha said the year 1995 brought an end
to the most fierce barbarity Europe has seen since World War II.
"Real prospects for a just settlement of the Kosova issue have
been created", Dr. Berisha said, noting that the international
community has brought Kosova to an increasing attention. The
international community is aware of the seriousness of the
matter, and the Albanians are committed to pursue their
"determined and wise policy" towards ensuring a solution to their
"great cause", he said.
"I strongly believe the year 1996 will see a substantial progress
in establishing a dialogue between the legitimate Kosova Albanian
leaders and Belgrade, under the mediation of a third party."
President Berisha said.

Serb Civilian Shoots at and Wounds Kosova Albanian Woman

A still unidentified Serb civilian shot at and wounded yesterday
(Tuesday) Ms. Hazbije Ternava from Lismir village of FusheKosova.
The LDK Information Commission in FusheKosova said a Serbian-
speaking person, after having quarrelled with the bus conductor
on board of a bus in FusheKosova, got off the bus, drew a
revolver and shot at Ms. Hazbije Ternava, wounding her on her
leg.
Hazbije Ternava has been sent to the Prishtina hospital.
Albanian Sent to Serve out Prison Term, Although the Court of
Appeal Has not Said the Final Word
The Serbian police arrested today (Wednesday) morning at his home
in Prishtina Mr. Xhelil Rama, formerly an employee with the
former Territorial Defence of Kosova.
Muharrem Rama, Mr. Rama son, told KIC that his father was sent to
the Dubrava prison of Istog to serve an eight-month prison term.
Last year Xhelil Rama, together with a dozen Kosova Albanians,
was sentenced to two years in prison at a Serbian staged trial in
Prishtina, under charges of having been involved in establishing
the so-called 'Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Kosova".
Xhelil Rama had initially served ten moths of pre-trial detention
and sentenced on appeal until the decision was endorsed by a
higher Serbian court.
He was sent today to prison notwithstanding the fact that the
Court of Appeal has not issued any ruling whether he was found
guilty or had charges against him acquitted.
Two Kosova Albanians Sent to Serbian Army Jail
On 16 December, the Serbian police arrested Flurim Hoxha (1972)
from Semetish village in Suhareka.
Mr. Hoxha was reportedly sent to the police station in Suhareka
and afterwards transferred to the Serbian army barracks in
Prizren, where he was held until 18 December, and subjected to
physical torture.
Sources in Suhareka said Flurim Hoxha has been sent to the
military prison in Nis (Serbia), where he is still being held.
Meanwhile, sources in Prishtina said another Albanian, Shaban
Gashi from Prishtina was reported arrested at his home by the
Serbian police on 29 December. Mr. Gashi was sent to the Serbian-
run Magistrate Court in Prishtina and sentenced in a=20so-called
summary proceedings to three months in prison.
Shaban Gashi deserted from the former Yugoslav Army (JNA) in
1990, when most of the Kosova Albanians serving the army then
refused to take part in the Serbian wars of aggression in
Slovenia and later in Croatia and Bosnia.
Repression Chronicle
Suhareka: On 28 December, the Serbian police detained Avdi
Buzhala, principal of the secondary school in Sopi village of
Suhareka.Mr. Buzhala was interrogated about his educational
activities.
On 20 December, under the alleged charges of arms possession the
Serbian police raided on the home of Rexhep Selmanaj and Mersel
Krasniqi in Savrove village. They were detained and subjected to
physical torture. Before released they were ordered to report
back the next day.
Gllogovc: On 26 December, under the pretext of arms searches the
Serbian police patrol raided on the homes of Bajram Selmani and
Hetem Selmani from Gradica village. They were ordered to report
at the police station in Gllogovc.
The Serbian police summoned on 28 December Ahmet Fazliu and
Bajrush Fazliu from Gradice village to report at the police
station in Gllogovc. The former was ordered to deliver a gun and
a revolver he allegedly was in possession of.
On 31 December, the Serbian police went to the home of Sadik
Kuliqi at Cikatove village and for unknown reasons seized his
passport. Mr. Kuliqi is
a guest worker in Switzerland.
Kamenica: On 27 December, at around 17:00 hrs two Serb policemen
and a Serb police inspector searched the home of Selim Kastrati
in Hogosht village. Mr. Kastrati was ordered to deliver some
weapon he allegedly was in possession of. The police found no
arms but had threatened him he would be under constant watch.
Selami Rrudhani told KIC this morning that the Serbian police on
29 December seized his passport in ordered him to turn in one
revolver and an automatic gun he allegedly is in possession of.
Mr. Rrudhani is a guest worker in Switzerland.
Under the pretext of arms searches the Serbian police raided on
the home of Fehmi I. Morina in Topanice village. Mr. Morina is a
guest worker in Switzerland and the police seized his passport
stipulating him to report every day at the police station. Our
sources reported that the policeman Zhika Filiq ordered Mr.
Morina to buy a revolver and turn it in order to get his passport
back.
On 30 December, under the alleged charges of being in possession
of arms, the Serbian police in Kamenice interrogated Bajram
Berisha, from Sfirce village, for the third time in a row.
Podujeve: On 2 January, the Serbian police under the pretext of
arms searches raided on the home of Shefki Konusheci at Lluge
village of Podujeva.
During the raid the police ill-treated Mr. Konusheci and his two
sons Sylejman and Ilmi Konusheci.
The report says also that Mr. Konusheci had often been summoned
to report at the police station during December.

[End Attached File]

| KIC - London EMail kic-uk@ |
| Mail sent via Demon Internet - Full IP for 10/Month Tel:0181 371 1234 |

| AlbaNews: Albanian News List Alba...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |
| ftp:ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/albanian Usenet:bit.listserv.albanian |
| To signoff from AlbaNews e-mail to: list...@ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu |
| In the body of the message include: SIGNOFF AlbaNews |