[STOCKPHOTO] request advice on efficient keywording

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Larry Brownstein

unread,
Jan 5, 2007, 7:43:46 PM1/5/07
to

I use iView MediaPro to keyword my photos. I like that you can apply
the same keyword to a large number of photos at one time.

I am considering the next step - to apply a bunch of synonyms all at
the same time (rather than one keyword at a time)

These would be frequently occurring synonyms that I group together in
a text file and do a cut and paste into the iView Keyword field.

For example I would cut and paste the words:

fast quick speedy quickly velocity speed

from the text file into the iView keyword field. If you look at
Photoshop's File Info you'll find a single semicolon at the end of
the last word (speed) which indicates that the individual words are
thought to be part of a phrase. The question is, will search engines
have any problem with these keywords. Will they be considered a
phrase of several words? If so, will the engine still recognize each
individual keyword that is part of this phrase?

This would make assigning keywords more efficient. But is there a
downside?

Thanks for your advice.

Larry Brownstein
author/photographer of :
Los Angeles: Where Anything is Possible (ISBN: 0974263303)
The Midnight Mission (ISBN: 0974263397)
Only in Los Angeles (ISBN: 089658660X)
Our San Diego (ISBN: 0760325421)

www.larrybrownstein.com
larryb@larrybrownstein.com
310-815-1402

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Courtesy of The STOCKPHOTO Network - http://www.stockphoto.net/
  Posting Rules - http://www.stockphoto.net/Subscriptions.php#rules
    STOCKPHOTO Archives - http://www.stockphoto.net/Archives.php
     STOCKPHOTO Bookstore - http://www.stockphoto.net/bookstore/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Singh, Shangara

unread,
Jan 6, 2007, 9:37:45 AM1/6/07
to

On 5 Jan 2007, at 21:57, Larry Brownstein wrote:

> For example I would cut and paste the words:
>
> fast quick speedy quickly velocity speed

> This would make assigning keywords more efficient. But is there a
> downside?

Larry

Some agencies will truncate long phrases. You need to find out from
them what that limit is.

If replying, please do NOT quote my email address.

Shangara Singh.

Author & Photographer
----------------------------------------------------------
--------------
Hacking Photoshop CS2 http://www.shangarasingh.co.uk
Stock Photography http://www.mpxstockimages.co.uk
Examaids for Adobe-Macromedia http://www.examaids.com

__._,_.___
----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Courtesy of The STOCKPHOTO Network - http://www.stockphoto.net/
  Posting Rules - http://www.stockphoto.net/Subscriptions.php#rules
    STOCKPHOTO Archives - http://www.stockphoto.net/Archives.php
     STOCKPHOTO Bookstore - http://www.stockphoto.net/bookstore/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

David Riecks

unread,
Jan 6, 2007, 4:52:16 PM1/6/07
to

Larry Brownstein wrote:
>I am considering the next step - to apply a bunch of synonyms all at
>the same time (rather than one keyword at a time)
>
>These would be frequently occurring synonyms that I group together in
>a text file and do a cut and paste into the iView Keyword field.

Larry:

Is there any reason why you haven't considered using the "Vocabulary
Editor" in iView MediaPro 3 for this procedure?

snip


>from the text file into the iView keyword field. If you look at
>Photoshop's File Info you'll find a single semicolon at the end of
>the last word (speed) which indicates that the individual words are
>thought to be part of a phrase. The question is, will search engines
>have any problem with these keywords. Will they be considered a
>phrase of several words? If so, will the engine still recognize each
>individual keyword that is part of this phrase?

That's not a simple question as the answer will depend on "which"
image database or search engine you are talking about.

Some simple search functions can't deal with compound terms, they can
only deal with single word terms.

With some search engines if you put in a two word term some will
assume you want a boolean "OR" search, while others will assume a
boolean "AND" search.

If you want to know for a specific online service, either ask the
owners, or do some test searches to verify how it operates.



>This would make assigning keywords more efficient. But is there a
>downside?

If you really want to make assigning keywords more
efficient...consider the use of a controlled vocabulary. If you don't
know what one of those is and how it can help, visit the site that
developed for photographers at http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/

Hope that helps.

David

David Riecks http://www.riecks.com , Chicago Midwest ASMP member
Get Version 2 of the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog at
http://controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/cvkc_order.html
See the Universal Photographic Digital Imaging Guidelines at
http://www.updig.org
Chairman, SAA Imaging Technology Standards Committee

__._,_.___
----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Courtesy of The STOCKPHOTO Network - http://www.stockphoto.net/
  Posting Rules - http://www.stockphoto.net/Subscriptions.php#rules
    STOCKPHOTO Archives - http://www.stockphoto.net/Archives.php
     STOCKPHOTO Bookstore - http://www.stockphoto.net/bookstore/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

babel1855

unread,
Jan 7, 2007, 10:16:44 AM1/7/07
to

There is no one answer to that.

It depends for example on what search engine you are talking about,
what database and indexing system the images are stored in etc.

You have to be more specific regarding what database and search system
you mean.

If you think of Google, I'd say it makes no difference. Google indexes
the full text (but then the question is, what database system do you
have attached to the internet that Google can index?)

Another example, the agency Alamy: It would make no difference in
their system since their system indexes every word separately.

In other systems it may make an important difference.

/Per Karlsson

> larryb@...


> 310-815-1402
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Courtesy of The STOCKPHOTO Network - http://www.stockphoto.net/
  Posting Rules - http://www.stockphoto.net/Subscriptions.php#rules
    STOCKPHOTO Archives - http://www.stockphoto.net/Archives.php
     STOCKPHOTO Bookstore - http://www.stockphoto.net/bookstore/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Stockphoto Seller

unread,
Jan 8, 2007, 9:33:14 AM1/8/07
to

"Efficient keywording" for stock photography is an oxymoron given the current inadequate, inconsistent, and chaotic state of keywording software and search engines.

Carl May/BPS



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Courtesy of The STOCKPHOTO Network - http://www.stockphoto.net/
  Posting Rules - http://www.stockphoto.net/Subscriptions.php#rules
    STOCKPHOTO Archives - http://www.stockphoto.net/Archives.php
     STOCKPHOTO Bookstore - http://www.stockphoto.net/bookstore/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages