[STOCKPHOTO] Re: Transparency supplies

John Fowler

Jan 1, 2007, 4:22:30 AM1/1/07

--- In STOCKPHOTO@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Hargan" <lists@...> wrote:

> A question for my fellow filmosaurs --
>
> Where do you get supplies such as 35mm slide mounts, captions, and
> protective sleeves? I used to use Royce Bair, but he seems to have
> gotten out of the film supplies business (and who can blame him?). I
> then switched to B&H, but got an inferior bunch of sleeves from them
> recently. (A real shock, that -- I've been using them for 30 years for
> nearly all film & camera purchases, with zero problems until this
one.)

I;m really sorry to hear that about Royce - as you say, he was a top
notch supplier with good goods at fair prices. My supply of sleeves is
running low. I do have a part box of 2x2 undividual sleeves that I no
longer use, now that I no longer send slides to submissions. I still
like 'em for the mf materials.

I'm still saving 35mm slides to Print File pages, as I edit & scann the
collection and trash the old pvc pages. Print Files are still
available at my local shop - but I better stock up on them as well,
given that I'm expecting a big load of trannies from an agency that's
going out of business. I'll call the shop Tuesday.

Happy New Year all!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Mike Shipman/Blue Planet Photography

Jan 1, 2007, 6:46:15 AM1/1/07

Try Light Impressions, too (www.lightimpressionsdirect.com). Maybe a bit
more than B&H, but they have sleeves, mounts, labels, mounting presses, etc.

Mike Shipman

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Jacques Jangoux

Jan 1, 2007, 9:05:05 PM1/1/07

Hello,

I don´t know about other countries, but I used to buy at Light
Impressions - no more, as they don´t ship anymore to Brazil. Too much
"lost" stuff, I believe.

Jacques Jangoux

--- In STOCKPHOTO@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Shipman/Blue Planet

Photography" <man@...> wrote:

> Try Light Impressions, too (www.lightimpressionsdirect.com). Maybe a bit
> more than B&H, but they have sleeves, mounts, labels, mounting
presses, etc.

> Mike Shipman

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Peter Dean

Jan 4, 2007, 2:08:13 AM1/4/07

In message <enek23+2o32@eGroups.com>, Tom Craig
<visiondifferent@gmail.com> writes
>Hi Jacques-
> I can confirm that Light Impressions (unfortunately) no longer ships
>orders to Europe either.

Tom
Company with archival storage we use are Secol in UK
http://www.secol.co.uk/
I see they still have film storage, hanging files etc which we no longer
need either.

> So I don't need them anymore, (no longer shoot film).

We have not used film for about five years but Secol seem to have made
the transition with new products. We store our gold master CD's in their
archival media boxes. I have also recently bought museum quality print
boxes for the family print archive. Some argue that images are best in a
print archive rather than rely on iffy media? For anyone shooting
weddings they do a nice cream / white archival box.

How long will film be available ?

cheers
Pete
--
Peter Dean (Photographer)
agripicture.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Jacques Jangoux

Jan 4, 2007, 8:14:45 PM1/4/07

Hello,

Actually Light Impressions ships internationally only above $250.
After they adopted that policy I moved to SlideScribe,
< http://www.slidescribe.com/ragj.shtml > (that´s the page for slide
pages).

Jacques Jangoux

--- In STOCKPHOTO@yahoogroups.com, "Jacques Jangoux" <jangoux@...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don´t know about other countries, but I used to buy at Light
> Impressions - no more, as they don´t ship anymore to Brazil. Too much
> "lost" stuff, I believe.
>
> Jacques Jangoux
>
> --- In STOCKPHOTO@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Shipman/Blue Planet

> Photography" <man@> wrote:
> >
> > Try Light Impressions, too (www.lightimpressionsdirect.com). Maybe
a bit
> > more than B&H, but they have sleeves, mounts, labels, mounting
> presses, etc.
> >
> > Mike Shipman

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Jacques Jangoux

Jan 5, 2007, 7:37:30 PM1/5/07

Dear Peter,

In Third World countries relatively few people have a computer so
amateur negative film has a market. I guess the multiple varieties
will drop to a couple from Kodak and a couple from Fuji. And I am sure
Latvia or Lituania will take over when Kodak and Fuji stop :-)

As for professional films, some are highly specialized, such as
medical film (although computers program that do the same thing are
certainly being written, but again, there are the third world
countries with antique medical equipment), and I guess some prestige
professional films with a recognizable name such as Velvia will still
be produced for some time. But Kodak and Fuji want to sell their
digital cameras, so, as you said, "How long will film be available ?"
Oh, I forgot... fine grain film still has a better definition than
most of the digital cameras.

Jacques Jangoux

--- In STOCKPHOTO@yahoogroups.com, Peter Dean <peter@...> wrote:

> How long will film be available ?
>
> cheers
> Pete
> --
> Peter Dean (Photographer)
> agripicture.com
> +44(0)1398 331598

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

.

__,_._,___

Jacques Jangoux

Jan 5, 2007, 7:39:26 PM1/5/07

Tom,

Amazon doesn´t ship electronics, computer or photo stuff to Brazil.
Only books and CDs (I don´t know about kitchenware). I wonder if they
have different policies for various countries. By the way, when a book
or a CD doesn´t arrive after a certain period (I think it´s 60 days)
they´ll send you another one free. It happened two or three times to me.

Jacques Jangoux

--- In STOCKPHOTO@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Craig" <visiondifferent@...>

Imagine Amazon doing business like that!