sound not working on ubuntu 9.04

Ravi Shukla

Jul 29, 2009, 1:37:51 PM7/29/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG
please can someone here help me out to troubleshoot one problem:::
there is no sound coming when i operate with ubuntu as my OS , the
sound thing is working fine with the vista version so it is quite
certain that my sound drivers are in place but in U9.04 there is no
scope .........i just tried three different kinds of
players......checked muting/unmutting the sounds settings ..nothings
helping...........so please........

vinit kumar

Jul 29, 2009, 1:45:26 PM7/29/09
to bit...@googlegroups.com
the solution is quite simple.just try n play some mp3 files in the player <most proably rythmbox or totem>.they will give you n error message of insufficient codecs and demand for a download for the codecs.just let  it download it and after that  it will  start playing the sounds.

Aditya Patawari

Jul 29, 2009, 2:43:18 PM7/29/09
to bit...@googlegroups.com
Also try changing "device". You can find it at "volume control" at top task bar

--
Aditya Patawari
Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra

bakait

Jul 29, 2009, 11:37:10 PM7/29/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG
no....i dont think that it is the codecs that are causing the problem
because there is no such error message that is being displayed , and
it is playing the file , but the sound is not coming , and also it
shows no errors...........i tried playing it with vlc, rythmbox and
movie player........

SUBODH

Jul 30, 2009, 2:48:58 AM7/30/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG
First type vlc in terminal and then play a file in it and if there are
any error messages ,then post them here along with your laptop model.

If there are no error messages then try seraching google for how to
install sound driver for your laptop model

bakait

Jul 30, 2009, 1:33:57 PM7/30/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG
sorry , but the vlc command also doesnt helps......it pops up the vlc
player...then i select some xyz song to play in it and the story
remains the same.........no pop ups warning any missing codecs or
drivers whatsoever.............and also if my lappy had a missing
driver how could i play music by using vista and not using
U9.04........how can this be possible..........??

Aditya Patawari

Jul 30, 2009, 1:40:19 PM7/30/09
to bit...@googlegroups.com
both me n subodh are in hostel 5c.. mine is room number 207... get
your laptop to us if possible.