unable to get updates for ubuntu 9.0.4

Aakash

Jul 30, 2009, 1:39:25 AM7/30/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG
Hello!!

I am getting the following error when ever trying to reload the list
in synaptic manager

GPG error: http://172.16.32.222 jaunty Release: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
available: NO_PUBKEY 58403026387EE263GPG error: http://172.16.32.222
jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because
the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783Failed to
fetch http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2

Please help!!!!

Debjit Saha

Aug 1, 2009, 2:09:25 PM8/1/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG
This is not an issue, go ahead with the package upgrades

On Jul 30, 10:39 am, Aakash <aakashhd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!!
>
> I am getting the following error when ever trying to reload the list
> in synaptic manager
>
> GPG error:http://172.16.32.222jaunty Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
> available: NO_PUBKEY 58403026387EE263GPG error:http://172.16.32.222
> jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because
> the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783Failed to
> fetchhttp://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty/universe/binary-i386...
>
> Please help!!!!

SUBODH

Aug 1, 2009, 2:52:09 PM8/1/09
to BIT, Mesra : LUG

See, you are not going to need synaptic manager for update and add/
remover software.

To update the system , use following two commands :

1) sudo apt-get update ( Check whether updates are avialable )
2) sudo apt-get upgrade ( Download and install updates)
3) sudo apt-get install software-name ( to install )
4) sudo apt-get remove software-name ( to remove)

GUI way : ( Much better for newbies)
1) Use update manger in system menu rather than synaptic manager it
will do updates in easiest way
2) To add/remove software go to application menu and choose add/remove
software.
Then select the all available applications in the select box and
type the name of software in search box

And i you are interested to know about synaptic manager , then it
basically shows all installed libraries ( Shared/non-shared) in the
system and to maintain their dependencies on the binaries
( compatibility basically ).

You can install any previous version of libraries/softwares using
synaptic manger but in day-to-day use you are almost never going to
use it.

Synaptic manager needs some explanation so you are interested they
first do google search if there is any specific problem you can post
here it is not possible to post the whole description here because it
is irrelevant to most of the users.