Methyl calling on C polymorphism present in the reads but not in the reference genome

Marie-Joe Karam

Mar 16, 2018, 10:24:09 AM3/16/18
to bissnp-help
Hello,
I have BS-sequencing and low coverage DNA-sequencing for plant individuals. I am wondering if there's a way to do the methyl calling with bissnp by defining the C positions to look at according to the genotype of the individual itself and not that of the reference genome. I explain myself: I observed cases where my reference was T at a position, and my individual was C on that position. The methyl-calling ignored that position because it is not a C in the reference (as an example, please see the attached figure).
Thank you in advance,
Best,
Marie-Joe
methyl_call.PNG

Yaping Liu

Mar 16, 2018, 10:31:39 AM3/16/18
to bissn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marie-Joe,
Bis-SNP is designed specifically for the case you described.
Are you using bissnp_easy_usage.pl? By default, it is designed for human genome. It used a lot of setting and filtering at VCFpostprocess step to filter out potential artifact in methy/SNP calling.
From the example you showed here, there is also another 3 SNP nearby, in human genome, usually it means reads aligned falsely in that position. But plant might be different.
If you look at the produced *.cpg.raw.sort.vcf file, it should show the site you circled in your plot. you can convert this vcf file by vcf2bed.pl tools provided.

thanks,

Yaping

Yaping Liu, Ph.D.