Power electronics free to good home.

Dan Spangpan

Sep 28, 2013, 12:42:05 PM9/28/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

The firm I work for is throwing out a load of power electronics and a couple of work benches. I wondered if the space (or its Members) would be interested?
I know some of Tekwizz (coventry) also follow this list/forum and they are very welcome too.

Only fly in the ointment is that the firm is in Warwick so folks would have to be able to travel to pickup. Probable plan is towards the end of the week one day I'll stay after hours (17:00h onwards) to provide access and help people load up.

In most of the heap is low frequency (5Hz-5kHz) amplification and signal processing equipment (more details to come)

In the heap so far is:

large ish valve pre amp (containing 2x ≈ø3" tubes)
1 VERY LARGE (≈ø9"x12") metal and ceramic thermonic valve (boiling water cooled) (I have nabbed 1 to become a coffee table but if someone plans to run it then I will give it up, to give 2 total)
assorted equipment containing large diodes, heatsinks, wire wound resistors, transformers, and moving coil meters
a few dead PCs
some large 18Ω wire wound resistors (≈ø2"x10")
an ≈A3 pen plotter (phillips PM8155, last cal 2001)
a paper tape chart recorder (at least two channel)
3x 600A meters (shunts and 3 moving coil meters 60mv)
video projector "in working order with dead bulb" is what i have been told.
+other goodies/junk to come

Benches need to be assessed but they are aluminium framed electronics benches some with power rails on the back, but certain ones are being kept, more details when I know.

Anyone interested?

Cheers

Dan

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Oct 1, 2013, 5:08:17 AM10/1/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Yes, definitely interested.

Rob

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Oct 1, 2013, 10:37:02 AM10/1/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Specifically interested in the vacuum tubes, what sort of power and anode voltage rating are they? Are they manufactured by Thales Electron Devices?

Rob

Dan Spangpan

Oct 1, 2013, 3:14:51 PM10/1/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking no one was interested!

I will post details of the smaller valves tomorrow AM (should have taken some pictures)

The very large valve I have (and would like to keep unless your planning to run it) at home (1 more available) is a:

Marconi Applied Technologies
EEV: CY1170J
serial no: 2355 0050
made in uk

The I'm told the brown base (actually the top when installed) is silver plate and so may polish up nice if your just after aesthetics.

yt...@discreetsecuritysolutions.com

Oct 1, 2013, 6:10:32 PM10/1/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Haha, I think they'll be run all right! Rob's probably planning something dangerous and cool already!

GarethPS

Oct 2, 2013, 1:19:17 AM10/2/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
As long as rob builds the rectifier he promised to, so he doesn't try and pull more than 60 amps.

Dan Spangpan

Oct 2, 2013, 3:08:05 AM10/2/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The other piece with valves is some kind of pre-amp
the tubes are 2x Mullard TY4-400
2x C&G A3042

With the big valves:
I believe the glass flue pieces have been destroyed along with the PTFE bellows
They fit with some kind of bayonet fitting, will look if i can find a base.

I have to ask, Whats the idea?
giant Tesla coil?
amp for a 12 foot dia. loud speaker?

Collection is no longer an option (no access) but happy to deliver to the space if you can wait a few days.

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Oct 2, 2013, 11:40:20 AM10/2/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
A vacuum tube Tesla Coil is what I have in mind, yes.
Those big tetrodes could make a monster coil and the mullard triodes would make quite a reasonably sized one too.

Rob

Dan Spangpan

Oct 2, 2013, 11:54:14 AM10/2/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
AWSOME!!!11!!,

Will drag out the other big valve and the tray with the Mullards on.

Any thing else of interest? high voltage caps? big diodes? we are getting close to D-Day when the skip will go. anything else your after?

Once I have this when is going to be a good time to deliver to the space (Friday afternoon?)

Cheers

Dan

Thomas Hodson

Oct 2, 2013, 12:09:47 PM10/2/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com

In the very unlikely event Rob doesn't want the high voltage caps and diodes, I certainly would want them for the space. I'm thinking of a DIY induction heater.

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Oct 3, 2013, 5:39:24 AM10/3/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
I've been thinking about an induction heater too, so if there is anything that could be used for making one, we would like to have it.

Is the skip likely to go before the weekend? I can get down with a vehicle on saturday or sunday.

Rob
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birmingham-hack-space+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Spangpan

Oct 3, 2013, 8:39:36 AM10/3/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Unfortunately there has been a change of plan this end.

The skip will be gone by early Friday (tomorrow) morning, and I will be unable to get site access.

I have lugged all the vaguely interesting power electronics back to my flat (including all the valves) and will deliver them to the space (I had initially though I would be able to get site access and more people would be interested in the scrap) for assessment.

Unfortunately I am fairly busy and booked up for the next week (with the exception of Friday afternoon) otherwise i'm thinking about coming up weds 16th.

Dan

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Oct 3, 2013, 9:06:17 AM10/3/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Oh well, such is life.

As you say, go for the interesting/hard to get stuff.
The sort of stuff that would catch my eye if I were looking through it (in no particular order):

Anything HV rated, particularly capacitors.
Large ferrite cores
Large silicon switching devices (FET's/IGBT's)
Transformers and Inductors (always useful, saves buying new)
Large electrolytic capacitors
RF related bits

Rob

yt...@discreetsecuritysolutions.com

Oct 3, 2013, 7:02:47 PM10/3/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Shame, but I've not been free enough to get over as far as Warwick.

Hopefully we can still get some of the good stuff.

Dan Spangpan

Oct 8, 2013, 6:30:15 AM10/8/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Ok, the skips gone, I managed to get most if not all the interesting high voltage/current stuff. I'll keep checking our small WEE stillage (as opposed to the big skip we hired for the clear-out.) incase any thing else turns up.

Things have freed up a bit and I'm looking to deliver to the space  one day 15-20/10/13. I think it would be good if I could do it on a day you up there Rob and Thomas, that way I can take any junk you don't want away with me (don't want to clutter the space up with crap no one wants)

Cheers

Dan

Thomas Hodson

Oct 8, 2013, 8:52:08 AM10/8/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant, :) what type of time are you thinking? I'm only around after 6 weekdays but I'd trust Rob's decision as to what's useful.

Dan Spangpan

Oct 9, 2013, 6:31:24 AM10/9/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
I can do pretty much any time on those days apart from thursday before 16:00h.

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Oct 16, 2013, 4:33:43 AM10/16/13
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Hi Dan,

If you can make tonight then I will be there from about 6pm.

Rob

Dan Spangpan

Nov 14, 2014, 8:27:18 AM11/14/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com, thomas....@gmail.com
Hi

Another major sort-out has occurred. Booty available:

  • 2x CY1107J Valves (heaters intact, otherwise untested) with 3xPTFE expansion bellows, 3x borosilicate glass steam pipes and spare connection straps
  • 4 large high current 3 phase rectifier stacks (mostly Semikron SKR 240/12 based, Big old aluminium heatsinks)
  • a few loose semikron 240/12s
  • 4x  torroidal transformers (2x120V - 2x45V windings  aprox 5.5inch OD)
  • a high voltage diode stack (24xBYX56 1000R each with small heat sink in series on insulating frame)
  • A 3 phase motorised variac (each 240V,4A, O/P 0-275V; motor has no name plate,)
  • A 220-300V, 10A PSU featuring (4x 400V 4700 microfarad caps[one poss damaged], some moderate/large [aprox 40mm square] switching silicon and fair size wire wound resistors)

Happy to deliver to the space but wanted to check there was still people who want this stuff.
stacks and variac.JPG

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Nov 17, 2014, 3:32:13 PM11/17/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Yes, we would definitely be interested in the bits, we are open as usual on wednesday, opposite the old place.
Thanks,

Rob

Dan Spangpan

Nov 18, 2014, 10:24:37 AM11/18/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Cool Beans, will bring them over tomorrow

Dan