3D Scanning

Antonio Roberts

Dec 3, 2014, 10:36:39 AM12/3/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I have an interest in learning different methods of 3D scanning, particularly ones that require expensive hardware or proprietary software.

I saw that there was someone at the space recently that has been doing 3D scanning and was wondering, would they would be at the space this, or any other Wednesday?

Kind regards,

Antonio

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Dec 3, 2014, 1:38:07 PM12/3/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

I wasn't the person doing scanning but I do know a bit about it, I used to work for a manufacturer of LIDAR instruments.
You are welcome to come down a have a chat.

Rob

r.e.a...@googlemail.com

Dec 3, 2014, 1:38:50 PM12/3/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
P.S.

I'll be there in about 10 minutes.

Rob

Antonio Roberts

Dec 4, 2014, 9:48:21 AM12/4/14
to birmingham-hack-space
Hi Rob,

I've been trying to do 3D scanning from compiling a bunch of images
together. Right now I'm using RunSFM on Ubuntu
http://nghiaho.com/?page_id=253 I haven't managed to get a 3D model
out of it yet, though :-(

Have you any experience of doing 3D scanning this way?

Antonio
> --

ant...@hellocatfood.com
http://www.hellocatfood.com

Antonio Roberts

Dec 4, 2014, 7:21:53 PM12/4/14
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi Again,

It turns out that perhaps RunSFM was the problem. Using these images http://imgur.com/a/Qbb5X and the libraries in this software https://github.com/simonfuhrmann/mve I was able to get a point cloud http://imgur.com/CyZ3A96

Not a great one, but it's a start!