BirdVoxDetect v0.6: a better classifier, new species encodings, and β-testing

Vincent Lostanlen

Aug 10, 2021, 1:14:36 PM8/10/21
to bir...@googlegroups.com

Dear members of the BirdVox discussion group,

I hope that you are having a good summer.

On behalf of the BirdVox team, it is my pleasure to announce the release of the sixth version of the BirdVoxDetect software. I thank the β-testers of BirdVoxDetect v0.5 and everyone who provided feedback since my last email from January 2021, announcing the v0.5 series. Special thanks to β-testers Wim van Dam and Kevin Tolan who helped me fix installation issues :)

Below my signature is a detailed description of what has changed since BirdVoxDetect v0.5.

You may already install the β version of BirdVoxDetect v0.6 via the Python Package Index

pip install birdvoxdetect==0.6.0b1

Or from the source code: https://github.com/BirdVox/birdvoxdetect

We are actively looking for beta-testers, so please contact me on this discussion group or via the GitHub issue tracker to report feedback.

Once the most urgent feedback is addressed, we'll release BirdVoxDetect v0.6 in its "stable" form.

Sincerely,

Vincent.

The main change with respect to the v0.5 series is the update from BirdVoxClassify v0.2 to v0.3. The species classifier is now "flat multitask" by default and includes hierarchical consistency. This classifier has proven more accurate than TaxoNet in our experiments. Many thanks to Aurora Cramer for her work on BirdVoxClassify.

Furthermore, the order "Passeriforme" is now spelled in the plural: "Passeriformes".

We have added various encodings for species: English name, scientific (Latin) name, and 4-letter code (#85). The "other" class is represented as an empty string.

Lastly, we have truncated the number of digits of confidence in the checklist (#86).

Martin Renner

Oct 15, 2021, 12:54:36 PM10/15/21
to birdvox
I had version 0.5 running under MacOS, but the new 0.6 is giving me an error that package versions have conflicting dependencies (see below). I've tried to install in a new user account, but get the same result. Any advise?
Cheers,
Martin

The conflict is caused by:

    birdvoxdetect 0.6.0 depends on tensorflow<2.4 and >=2.2

    birdvoxdetect 0.3.0 depends on tensorflow==1.15.2

    birdvoxdetect 0.2.5 depends on tensorflow==1.15.2

    birdvoxdetect 0.2.3 depends on tensorflow==1.15.2

    birdvoxdetect 0.2.2 depends on tensorflow==1.15.2

    birdvoxdetect 0.2.1 depends on tensorflow==1.15.2

    birdvoxdetect 0.2.0 depends on tensorflow==1.15

    birdvoxdetect 0.1.2 depends on scipy==1.3.1

John Kearney

Oct 15, 2021, 2:14:30 PM10/15/21
to Martin Renner, birdvox
Hi Martin,
I had the same problem with Windows.  I ran it a few times and some of them resolved. However major conflict with numpy is still unresolved.
John

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 15, 2021, at 13:54, Martin Renner <great...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had version 0.5 running under MacOS, but the new 0.6 is giving me an error that package versions have conflicting dependencies (see below). I've tried to install in a new user account, but get the same result. Any advise?

Vincent Lostanlen

Oct 23, 2021, 7:28:43 PM10/23/21
to bir...@googlegroups.com

Hello John, Martin, and all,

Dependency resolution in BirdVoxDetect has become extremely difficult these days, for reasons i don't fully understand.  All we're asking for is scikit-learn + tensorflow

It's not clear to me how i can improve the situation, especially given that i don't have a Windows machine

Right now, your best option is to download BirdVoxDetect from source (github.com/BirdVox/birdvoxdetect) and import it directly from your Python session after having installed all the necessary dependencies

For BirdVoxDetect v1.0, i would like to retrain the model on as much data as possible. I will make sure to use more recent versions of TensorFlow for this so as to ease the installation process

Sincerely,

Vincent