Andrew Farnsworth on citizen science (The Guardian)

Vincent Lostanlen

Oct 19, 2020, 1:46:49 PM10/19/20
to bir...@googlegroups.com

Dear members of the BirdVox group,

Below my signature is a very interesting article by Kari Paul for The Guardian about the effect of wildfires on birds' health and migratory patterns. Our colleague Andrew Farnsworth from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology is features in an interview. Quotes:

“There are many more citizen scientists distributed in diverse arrays than there are professional scientists or wildlife rehabilitators,” said Andrew Farnsworth, a senior research associate at Cornell Lab of Ornithology, the institute that runs eBird, a popular app for logging bird sightings.

“The power of eyes in many places is huge.”

I concur with that sentiment and am looking forward to integrating more citizen-driven bioacoustics in the monitoring of bird migration.

Sincerely,

Vincent.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/18/dying-birds-and-the-fires-scientists-work-to-unravel-a-great-mystery