Are amateur's Clips Used by Birdvox?

William Whitehead

Oct 5, 2021, 4:47:16 PM10/5/21
to birdvox
Howdy Folks, Bill from NJ. BirdVox and Vesper are working great for me, so thank you for all of the hard work developing these programs. Question, Are any of the NFC clips amateur's like me place on Ebird / McCauley Library being used in the Birdvox machine learning development? Thanks, Bill.

Vincent Lostanlen

Oct 5, 2021, 5:19:53 PM10/5/21
to bir...@googlegroups.com

Hello Bill,

Glad to know you're putting BirdVox and Vesper to good use!

The BirdVox detector (yes/no flight call) relies purely on internal BirdVox data.

The BirdVox classifier (what species, family, order?) relies on a combination of internal data + data from Macaulay Library.

So the answer is no for the detector and perhaps (but likely no) for the classifier.

In the future (BirdVoxDetect v1.0) we would like to expand our taxonomy and our training set. So thank you in advance for contributing!

Sincerely,

Vincent.