Re: [Birding-Aus] Crow lumping - my list is not happy. [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Perkins, Harvey

Apr 1, 2012, 8:58:36 PM4/1/12
to birdi...@lists.vicnet.net.au
The suggestion in the abstract that DNA-DNA hybridisation was being used
to perform species/subspecies level distinctions was also a pretty
blatant give-away (at least if you know about molecular taxonomic
science) - particularly when the methodology then goes on to describe
PCR amplification of the control region.

Harvey
Canberra

Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 17:06:45 +1000
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <sure...@waterfront.net.au>
To: "Birding Aus" <birdi...@vicnet.net.au>, "Philip Veerman"
<pvee...@pcug.org.au>
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Crow lumping - my list is not happy.

What about those of us that have Forest Raven on our lists too!
Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island
Victoria
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 17:51:52 +0930
From: Alastair Smith <beri...@gmail.com>
To: John Tongue <js...@iprimus.com.au>
Cc: birding-aus <birdi...@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Preliminary RFI - Darwin & Top End for July
visit

Tom and Mandy,
I am currently in Darwin under the guise of navy reserve time and
birding is very hot work!

Niven Mcrie's 'Finding birds in Darwin Kakadu and the top end' is an
invaluable resource and you should try and get a copy. It has the
answers to all your questions. Incidentally I was out at Leanyer sewage
works yesterday and spoke to a birder who said that Niven has left the
NT for the gold coast.

Unfortunately, the same birder said that the local community has
resisted Eremaea as it is happy with yahoo groups, so Eremaea is really
only used by us visitors. In my fortnight up here I have posted 25+
lists so this may be of assistance in the local Darwin region.

Regards
Alastair

Sent from my iPad

On 01/04/2012, at 17:05, John Tongue <js...@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Tom and Mandy,
> We found
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntbirds/
> worth keeping an eye on for up-to-date sightings. To get into Leanyer
sewage ponds, you need to do an induction (which can be done online),
and pay a deposit and pick up a key. Peter Kyne, whose details can
generallby be found on Birding-Aus, or the NT Birds blog was VERY
helpful to us in getting our induction, and general info while we were
there (January)

> We dipped on Great-billed Heron, had one distant look at Chestnut Rail
at Buffalo Ck, Biggles Binns helped us get onto Arafura Fantail near
Nightcliffe (it wasn't really the right time of year), and Swinhoes
Snipe near his place (Humpty Doo). Had a number of Rainbow Pitta around
East Point, and one at Nourlangie, in Kakadu. Had one Banded Fruit-dove
there as well. Couldn't get to Gunlom, or the best spots for
Chestnut-quilled Rock Pigeon (Too much water), so dipped on those. HAd
Hooded Parrots at the Pine Creek Sewage works, along with Black Bittern,
White-browed Crake, Buff-banded Rail, etc. Chestnut-backed BQ (Didn't
get Red-backed anywhere), and Sandstone Shrike-thrush near Nourlangie.
Yellow White-eye in a few mangrove spots, but no White-breasted
Whistler, and Mangrove Golden only at Adelaide River Cruises. One
Mangrove Grey Fantail behind Palmerston Sewage works. One Zitting
Cisticola across Sth Alligator Floodplain (along with hundreds of
Golden-headeds every
wh
> ere!). Star Finch and Yellow-rumped Mannikin at Timber Creek Airfield,
and Buff-sided Robin at Kunnunurra. Purple-crowned Fairy-wren at
Victoria River. NO Pictorellas or Gouldians, but difficult time of year
- you will probably have more luck.

> Hope that might help a little. Peter Kyne and Biggles Binns were very
helpful, as I'm sure all the NT birders would be.

> Happy Birding,
> John Tongue
> Ulverstone, Tas.
>

> On 01/04/2012, at 2:16 PM, Tom and Mandy Wilson wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>> I will be spending about 10 days in the Darwin/Kakadu/Katherine
region in early July - the reason this RFI is so far in advance is to
help with my trip planning. This will be my second visit (almost 20
years after my first in September 1992) and I am looking for a few
species I missed that time and tidying up a few sightings which, in
retrospect, were perhaps not as good as I would accept now. I have
already raided the birding-aus archives, read my (old) Thomas & Thomas
and Bransbury looking at sites, but would be interested in some perhaps
more up to date info/sites for the species listed below. I'm trying to
track down a copy of Niven McRie's book, but the only copy in the NSW
public library system seems to be in the State Library, so I'm now
probably going to purchase one if I can.

>> We will be camping for a week and then have a couple of days in
Darwin itself to finish off, with the route running (roughly) Darwin -
Kakadu (Ubirr or Jabiru/Cooinda/Gunlom) - Katherine - Litchfield park -
Darwin . Plans already include a stop at Adelaide River, Yellow Waters
and Katherine Gorge Cruises, visiting Territory Wildlife Park and visit
to Fogg Dam. (As this is a family trip, a visit to Leanyer Sewage works
probably not on the cards! A diversion toward Victoria River is also
highly unlikely.)

>> Looking forward to seeing a load of species I've not seen for some
time, but the specific target list, together with possible sites noted
so far, is:
>> - Great Billed Heron (Buffalo Creek, Adelaide River. Yellow Waters;
Darwin Hbr - Middle Arm)
>> - Red Goshawk (along Arnhem Hwy; Mataranka/Katherine areas - keep
eyes peeled as July is when they start displaying?)
>> - Chestnut Rail (Buffalo Creek; Charles Darwin NP; Darwin Hbr -
Middle Arm - aware that I need to get the tide conditions right)
>> - Red backed Button Quail (Holmes Jungle; Leaning Tree lagoon)
>> - Chestnut Backed Button Quail (areas around Ubirr, Nourlangie)
>> - Chestnut Quilled Rock Pigeon (Gunlom, Katherine up on the tops)
>> - Banded Fruit Dove (sandstone outcrops at Ubirr, Nourlangie etc)
>> - Hooded Parrot (Pine Creek but better info sought on specific
site/Katherine areas)
>> - Rufous Owl (Botanic Gardens; Howard Springs?; Waterfall Creek
Gunlom)
>> - Little Kingfisher (Yellow Waters, Buffalo Creek)
>> - Rainbow Pitta (Monsoon Rainforest - Howard Springs, Fogg Dam; East
Point)
>> - White Throated Grasswren (Gunlom - are they still there?)
>> - Green Backed Gerygone (seem to be common in several habitats - not
sure how I missed these in 1992)
>> - Buff Sided Robin (riverine woodland; Yellow Waters; Waterfall Creek
Gunlom)
>> - White Breasted Whistler (mangroves - Buffalo Creek etc - anywhere
I'd be looking for Chestnut Rail presumably)
>> - Mangrove Golden Whistler (mangroves (duh!) - esp. Adelaide River)
>> - Arafura Fantail (monsoon rainforest pockets as for Rainbow Pitta;
paperbark swamps - varied habitats)
>> - Mangrove Grey Fantail (mangroves (duh again!) - Buffalo Creek)
>> - Star Finch (bit light on info on this and the next 2)
>> - Yellow Rumped Mannikin
>> - Pictorella Mannikin
>> - Gouldian Finch (around Pine Creek but better info sought on
specific site; Bird Billabong)
>> - Zitting Cisticola (swampy grasslands)
>> - Yellow White Eye (mangroves, monsoon thickets)
>>
>> I was wondering whether it is worth lugging my scope and tripod with
me - as I assume that lots of waders will be up north breeding but there
may be a reasonable overwintering population to be seen at East Point,
Lee Point etc, so would be interested in thoughts on that front.
>> Also, is there a site other than Eremaea where NT sightings are
discussed?
>> I see my trip coincides with Arnhem Land bird week - hope all the
birds aren't being paid to be over there for the bird week punters!
>> Cheers
>> Tom Wilson

>> (in the body of the message, with no Subject line)
>> to: birding-a...@vicnet.net.au
>>
>> http://birding-aus.org
> to: birding-a...@vicnet.net.au
>
> http://birding-aus.org
> ===============================

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 16:30:12 +0800
From: John Graff <jgr...@hotmail.com>
To: Birding-Aus <birdi...@vicnet.net.au>, Birds WA E-Mail List
<bir...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Hillarys Pelagic trip, Perth - STREAKED
SHEARWATERS

The pelagic today out of Hillarys today netted 25+ Streaked Shearwater
in loose groups, mostly just north of Rottnest Island. Some would've
been quite easily visible from on shore on the north side of Rotto.
This is the first record of this species on Hillarys trips (though they
have rarely been run at this time of year), and possibly the first
record off Perth More details and a full trip report to come later
Cheers,John

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:36:19 +0930
From: Denise Goodfellow <goodf...@bigpond.com.au>
To: Tom and Mandy Wilson <wilso...@optusnet.com.au>, Birding Aus
<birdi...@vicnet.net.au>
visit

Best place to see Chestnut Rail - either from the Elizabeth River Bridge
(near Palmerston) or Stuart Pk mangroves (if you don't mind getting
muddy).
Channel Island bridge good for Great-billed Heron.

Chestnut-quilled Rock-pigeon - Bardejdilidji. Also Banded Fruit-dove.
Or
if the Carpentaria Palms at the beginning of the Nourlangie walk are
fruiting, Banded will be feeding there.

Hooded Parrot- often hanging around streets in Pine Creek.

Little Kingfisher-best spot Howard Springs on trunks of trees.

Green-backed Gerygone - monsoon vine-thicket on way to Wickham Pt,
Palmerston

Gouldian Finch - sites depend on whether rain has fallen or fire. I've
just
expanded on this in an article I sent to Simon Mustoe on my trip with
Jonathon Franzen.

I could go on, but have other work to do. Good luck

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow B.A. Grad.Dip.Arts
1/7 Songlark Street, Bakewell NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate (Southern Cross University, NSW)
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia; ecotourism adviser, Mitchell
Creek
Landcare
Nominated by Earthfoot (2004) for Conde Nast's Traveler International
Award

"it gave me huge insight" into the lives of Aboriginal Australians
Jonathon Franzen on "Quiet Snake Dreaming".

For copies of Birds of Australia?s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming,
visit
amazon.com

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/

http://www.facebook.com/Wildlife.Tourism.Australia
http://wildlifetourism.org.au

on 1/4/12 1:46 PM, Tom and Mandy Wilson at wilso...@optusnet.com.au

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:48:32 +1030
From: robert burgoyne <robert....@hotmail.com>
To: <birdi...@lists.vicnet.net.au>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] SW QLD Sightings - Not Bowra

Thanks Nick, caught up with a lifer at Eulo Bore on 31/03 when I saw the
CBQT at the same site. The ridge line starts just short of 5km from the
bore as it rises up from the flat and the bird was on top and at the
start of the ridge line through to about 200m along the top from this
point (approx 200metres off the road). I saw it poorly initially at the
end (start?) of the ridge where I flushed it twice, then later after
losing it in low scrub it ran across an old track at the top of the
ridge line about 200m further east and not being able to find it again I
got better views on my return to the same area after about 40 minutes of
looking at other birds whilst it skulked around in the undergrowth
trying to avoid me. It then flew back to where I had seen it first, so
I left it in peace.
I also headed out west on the Inaminka Road to the oil fields and the
lower Cooper Creek in a vain search for the Grey Grass-wren (bitumen all
the way, albeit a lot of single lane). The area still has plenty of
water with 300mm flowing over the road in places where the channels
cross it. Of course the place is very green with hundreds if not
thousands of Black-tailed Native Hens enjoying the abundance of life the
water has brought (walking in a shallow channel off the road I flushed
at least 300!) . Pin in a haystack as far as Grey Grass-wren goes
though!
Rob Burgoyne
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 03:24:07 +0000
> From: Nick Leseberg <nick_l...@hotmail.com>
> To: Birding-aus <birdi...@vicnet.net.au>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] SW QLD Sightings - Not Bowra

... after checking the old ridgeline ... for > Chestnut-breasted
Quail-Thrush without success, found one on the low rise 5km
> east of the bore on the northern side of the road...
>

> Nick LesebergTropical Birdingwww.tropicalbirding.com
********************************

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 00:05:05 +0930
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <in...@birdpedia.com>
To: <birdi...@vicnet.net.au>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the
period Monday, March 26, 2012 to Sunday, April 1, 2012:

Area: SA

Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Location: Kangaroo Island

Fork-tailed Swift (Apus pacificus) (200) see over Kingscote and Nepean
Bay on 14 March 2012 during N wind thunderstorm

Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos) (1) feeding amongst beach strewn
boulders at Stokes Bay rocky beach, 25 March 2012.

Rock Parrot (Neophema petrophila) (5) in coastal heath at Seal Bay, 25
March 2012.

Darter (Anhinga novaehollandiae) (1) sub adult male on dead tree in
Middle River estuary, 25 March 2012. Three seen here previously-past
month or so-as reported in past Birdpedia posting.

Purple-crowned Lorikeet (Glossopsitta porphyrocephala) (50+) feeding
noisily in several flowering Cup Gums E. cosmophylla, main street of
Parndana, 26 March 2012.

Flesh-footed Shearwater (Puffinus carneipes) (1) fresh beach derelict,
Vivonne Bay, 4 March 2012.

Rock Parrot (Neophema petrophila) (15) feeding in coastal succulents at
Point Ellen, Vivonne Bay, 8 March 2012-mostly immatures.

Elegant Parrot (Neophema elegans) (1) flew across South Coast Road 10km
W of Vivonne Bay. Pasture and coastal mallee association.

Hooded Plover (Thinornis rubricollis) (11) Nine adults and two
grey-headed immatures, together at Harriet River Mouth during storm tide
surge at Vivonne Bay, 4 March 2012.

White-bellied Sea-Eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster) (3) adult pair and an
immature perched on cliff face and then swooping for a fish, Western
River Cove, 10 March 2012.

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster
directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What
is Birdpedia?'

------------------------------

Message: 12
Date: 2 Apr 2012 01:30:08 +1000
From: notifi...@eremaea.com
To: birdi...@vicnet.net.au
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Birdline ACT Weekly Update

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 13
Date: 2 Apr 2012 01:30:15 +1000
From: notifi...@eremaea.com
To: birdi...@vicnet.net.au
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Birdline Australia Weekly Update

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 14
Date: 2 Apr 2012 01:30:23 +1000
From: notifi...@eremaea.com
To: birdi...@vicnet.net.au
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly
Update

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

End of birding-aus Digest, Vol 73, Issue 2

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it,
is intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read,
forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender by return
e-mail or telephone.

The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free
from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any
loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening
or using the attachments.

The security of emails transmitted in an unencrypted environment
cannot be guaranteed. By forwarding or replying to this email, you
acknowledge and accept these risks.
to: birding-a...@vicnet.net.au

http://birding-aus.org