ACA SAS Workshop - Announcement and request for help

Jesse Hopkins

Jun 16, 2020, 11:23:02 AM6/16/20
to BioXTAS RAW
Hi folks,

I wanted to let you know that I'm organizing a virtual workshop on BioSAS at the American Crystallographic Association (ACA) meeting at the end of July. This will be a three day workshop and including significant hands-on training for participants. All of the hands-on training will be done in RAW, so if you're interested (or have colleagues who might be interested), please take a look at the meeting website here:

Additionally, I do have a request. In order to maintain a hands-on element to the workshop, we are going to have small breakout sessions at different points in the workshop where ~5 students and 1 instructor will work through different tutorials on provided data. The idea is that these small sessions will allow students to easily ask questions and share screens as they work through the tutorials. We're also including several short Q&A sessions in small groups, where students can ask questions about SAS in general, or about specific experiments or data they have.

Now, my request. The workshop is already quite popular (~70 registered participants). We currently have enough instructors for ~80 folks in the hands-on portions of the workshops. I'm hoping that some of you might be willing to participate in the workshop as hands-on instructors. Depending on the final registration count we may not need more instructors, in which case I'd simply thank you for your willingness to participate, but I'd rather have folks waiting in the wings to help than have to cap registrations.

Here's what we're looking for, and when you'd have to be available:

- Available between 12 pm and 4 pm EDT on 7/28 and 7/29
- A high level of familiarity with biological solution SAS, preferably with both static and SEC-SAXS (familiarity with SANS is great but not necessary).
- Willingness to answer participant questions about data analysis and experiment planning for biological solution SAS.
- Either familiarity with how to use RAW (which I'm guessing most folks on this list have) or willingness to work through the tutorials for that software prior to the workshop.

If you're willing to be an instructor for the hands-on portion of the workshop please let me know, either by replying to this announcement or emailing me directly.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD