bug "Unexpected error"

Randy Polson

Feb 23, 2022, 6:57:28 PM2/23/22
to BioXTAS RAW
Hi-
I'm on a Mac, OS 10.15.7 with a precompiled RAW 2.1.1.  I tried to run the external GNOM from the ATSAS package and got the error posted below.  I've set under Options>ATSAS the bath to the ATSAS bin folder.

Best,
Randy
--

An unexpected error has occurred, please report it to the developers. You may need to restart RAW to continue working.

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "wx/core.py", line 3407, in <lambda>

  File "bioxtasraw/RAWAnalysis.py", line 5001, in _finishFindDmax

  File "bioxtasraw/RAWAnalysis.py", line 4631, in updateGNOMInfo

  File "bioxtasraw/RAWAnalysis.py", line 4611, in formatNumStr

TypeError: float() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'

Jesse Hopkins

Feb 23, 2022, 7:11:38 PM2/23/22
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

What version of ATSAS are you using?

Most likely what's happening here is that RAW is failing to find a Dmax value automatically, which leads to that error (this will be fixed in the next release, and already is in the source code if you want to try building the latest version from source). If you want to send me the .dat file you're using I can test and verify that's what's happening.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Deputy Director
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Grant Weaver

Oct 22, 2022, 2:02:31 PM10/22/22
to BioXTAS RAW

Sorry to bump a 6 month old thread but I just got this same error using RAW 2.1.4 with the most current version of ATSAS on a Windows 10 machine.  Has the change you mentioned above been implemented in the current version of RAW for Windows or is there a different version or workaround I can try?

Thanks,

Grant

Jesse Hopkins

Oct 22, 2022, 10:05:42 PM10/22/22
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

The bug I mentioned is fixed. However, I never had confirmation as to whether that was actually what Randy was encountering. So there may be another outstanding issue I’m not aware of. If you send me the .dat file you’re using I can test it and figure out what’s going on.

Please confirm the version number of ATSAS that you’re using.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Deputy Director
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Grant Weaver

Oct 23, 2022, 5:59:38 PM10/23/22
to BioXTAS RAW
I made some adjustments to my Guinier fit and got it to work. There were a couple of outlier points that were making it difficult for GNOM and once I adjusted my n_min to remove them, I was able to proceed.

Jesse Hopkins

Oct 24, 2022, 10:46:20 AM10/24/22
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

I'm glad you got it to work. It would still be useful to me if you'd share the .dat file that you were having trouble with, so I can test and hopefully fix the bug going forward.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Deputy Director
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Qx Wang

Nov 27, 2022, 3:37:03 AM11/27/22
to BioXTAS RAW
Hi Jesse,

When I tried to run the GNOM from ATSAS 3.2.0, a bug has occuerd as posted below. I'm Windows 10 with a precompiled RAW 2.1.4.

An unexpected error has occurred, please report it to the developers. You may need to restart RAW to continue working.

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "wx\core.py", line 3407, in <lambda>

  File "bioxtasraw\RAWAnalysis.py", line 5105, in _finishFindDmax

KeyError: '22'

----
Best,
Qixuan Wang

Jesse Hopkins

Nov 27, 2022, 9:24:30 AM11/27/22
to BioXTAS RAW
Hi Qixuan,

I appreciate the bug report. However, the latest full release of ATSAS is 3.1.3, the 3.2.0 version currently available is a prerelease. As such, I haven’t tested against it, and I don’t know if GNOM even works properly by itself, let alone within RAW. Please give it a try with ATSAS 3.1.3 and let me know if you’re still having problems.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Deputy Director
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Qx Wang

Nov 29, 2022, 8:30:14 AM11/29/22
to BioXTAS RAW
Hi, Jesse,

Thanks for providing solutions. Glad to tell you that I have solved the problem and found the reason.

After I installed ATSAS 3.1.3, the same bug still occured. Then I downloaded the Raw_Tutorial_Data and tried to run the GNOM. It works successfully. So I realized that there was something wrong with my data. In addition, the command window also reminded me that there was a negative value in the data, which was neglectd by me before. After processing the data, the GNOM works successfully.

Best,
Qixuan Wang

Jesse Hopkins

Nov 29, 2022, 10:29:53 AM11/29/22
to bioxt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Qixuan,

I'm glad you figured it out. It would be useful to me if you sent me the data that didn't work, so I can check and see if there's anything obvious I can do to either make RAW work with data like that or to make the error messages more obvious in terms of what's going wrong.

All the best.

- Jesse

----
Jesse Hopkins, PhD
Deputy Director
BioCAT, Sector 18
Advanced Photon Source

Kimberly Vish

Feb 7, 2023, 5:02:31 PM2/7/23
to BioXTAS RAW
Hi Jesse,

I am seeing the same issue and have downloaded RAW v2.1.4 and ATSAS v3.2.1 on MacOS 12.5.1. As similarly mentioned above this doesn't happen with every .dat file and my labmate using RAW 2.1.3 and ATSAS 3.2.1 on MacOS 11.1 with the same .dat file works for her. I will send the .dat file in a more private email thread.

Thanks,
Kimmie