Persistent parameters?

Lewis, Eric

Feb 9, 2016, 5:37:50 AM2/9/16
to biouno...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I just wanted to check out what you think of this idea:

I think it would be a cool feature if the ActiveChoices plugin could remember the parameter value with which it was last run.
This is similar to https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Persistent+Parameter+Plugin - but of course it's dynamic.

Given: Parameter A can be set to 'foo' and 'bar' and ActiveChoices sets parameter B accordingly to 'baz' and 'qux'.

If I flag parameter A as persistent, and since parameter B depends on parameter A:
If A was last run with the value 'bar', then parameter B will be set to 'qux' dynamically.
However, if parameter B is also persistent, it doesn't behave in a dynamic way and is set to whatever was chosen during the last run, for instance 'baz'.

I hope this is clear, otherwise please ask :-)

Best regards,
Eric

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Feb 9, 2016, 1:22:17 PM2/9/16
to biouno...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lewis,

Hadn't heard about the Persistent Parameter Plugin yet, thanks!

Had a look at the code, and the implementation is quite simple. Looks like - from what I understood - it simply looks at the previous build, if any. Then if a build is found, it gets the parameters used in the build and tries to use the previous value as default for the next build.

Looks like a useful feature. This could be implemented as a global option for all parameters to make this the default value, or could be under advanced section of each parameter (I'm more inclined to do this one).

The only concern from my part would be to check if it would slow down the parameter rendering a little it. If so, for me it's not a blocker, but we just need to be aware and tell users (wiki, help icon, etc).

Can you file an issue for that as well? :-) I'll have fun hacking that feature in a branch probably. Do you have a test bed server where you can experiment with it a little bit?

Bruno

Feb 12, 2016, 11:35:22 AM2/12/16
to biouno...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruno

Ok, I filed the Jira issue: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-32922

I have a test server where I can experiment, that’s no problem.

Thanks for the consideration & best regards,

Eric

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Feb 15, 2016, 5:38:22 AM2/15/16
to biouno...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lewis!

I've just done a quick triage of issues, but the next development cycle, I will probably use to work on documentation, site, look at google analytics, blog, etc. So it may take a few weeks for any activity on this issue, but feel free to bump this thread or comment in that issue in the meantime if we take too long to work on it.

Cheers
Bruno

Sent: Saturday, 13 February 2016 5:35 AM
Subject: AW: Persistent parameters?