[WISH-JENKINS-24354] Scriptler must be managed

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Feb 25, 2017, 9:06:58 AM2/25/17
to BioUno Users
We just completed a 'Winter 2017 BioUno Hangout' with Bruno and we focused mostly on areas for new development cycles.

One of the areas that we hope BioUno can provide a practical solution is the area of management and organization of Groovy scripts used in the Scriptler plugin. Scriptler is an essential component for Jenkins research jobs as it provides critical functionality for:
  1. Using Active-Choices parameters on the build UI
  2. Using custom scripting to support build and post-build steps
  3. Bridge for other scripting languages (such as R for statistics and graphing)
However, Scriptler suffers from the lack of any significant management tools that prevents scripts from being organized, classified and identified with ease. All Scriptler scripts end-up in the JENKINS_HOME/scriptler/scripts folder and the widget for script selection from the Scriptler catalog displays just a list of the scripts for you to select from. Here is an example:

Now looking at this Script selection widget you can immediately see that there are several issues:

  1. There is no sorting
  2. There is no filtering
  3. There is no categorization
  4. There is tagging
  5. There is no description of what the script does
In other words, if you have an extensive catalog of scripts you are lost!

In my case, I try to build some intelligence in the names of the scripts. For example, scripts used with Active Choice parameters start with an AC_. But we hope we can come up with a better system for annotating (think metadata!), categorizing and easily finding the script that we need in the Scriptler catalog.

Now this issue has been idle on the Jenkins JIRA as JENKINS-24354 for a while, but we hope to give it an adrenaline jolt!

Feel free to provide ideas and feedback. Bruno has already some good ideas for implementation!! Thanks!

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Mar 11, 2017, 12:15:43 AM3/11/17
to biouno...@googlegroups.com
This is a must-have for Jenkins. I think it is clear now what is an ID and what is a name. But I will file an issue for sorting by display name (as it used to be) rather than ID. And later, after some more code-reading, will file the issue to add categories.

Let's try our best to not write another plug-in, but to send all the work as pull requests to scriptler-plugin. I am triaging issues for 1.5.3 active-choices plugin release, which I will cut in a few hours.

Then will start immediately a new cycle for active-choices 1.5.4, with some issues that might take a bit longer to fix. In the meantime I will work in parallel to sort out the issues in JIRA for scriptler, and after 1.5.4 will start a cycle on scriptler-plugin.

I've assigned one ticket for you, closed several issues that cannot be reproduced or are not related to active-choices. Ioannis, when you have time it would be great if you could look at the notifications in your inbox for active-choices and also for scriptler plug-in issues. There should be a few ones where I mentioned your name :-)

Cheers
Bruno