Falling for IIIF (International Image Interoperability Framework)

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Oct 7, 2016, 12:22:54 PM10/7/16
to BioUno Users
The last couple of weeks I discovered and started exploring the International Image Interoperability Framework [1].
What led me to this, is some recent work I have been doing exploring large numbers of images from digital microscopy and image processing tools like CellProfiler.

It is of interest to point out that the BioUno project has already contributed the image gallery Jenkins-plugin [2] for reviewing images generated from Jenkins builds, but IIIF is a complete framework of tools for viewing images at multiple resolutions, serving images dynamically, annotation and the like. It is used my museums, galleries and other organizations for displaying the digital heritage holdings of several organizations.

I hope to write up something in out blog about displaying images via an Active choice parameter but for the time being if you are interested you can take a look at a rather impressive IIIF viewers such as the OpenSeadragon [3] and a microscopy image viewer[4]

During this time I've also failed to identifyhow image metadata (important for understanding the images) can be displayed. I need to do more work here as there seems to be some strong component of metadata annotation in IIIF. I have even found the SimpleAnnotationServer [5] project where metadata are kept in the Jena triple-store.

Seems that there are lots of interesting ideas that BioUno could explore further, especially as imaging and metadata are on our list of interests!

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Oct 15, 2016, 7:06:49 AM10/15/16
to biouno...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting subject, and also interesting links. Thanks Ioannis!

I bet it is quite easy to start a Cantaloupe server with Jenkins. Then probably image-gallery could be adapted to handle images from an IIIF server as well.

Cheers
Bruno