Active Choices v1.5 Show Stopper (scriptlet parameters not saved)

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Nov 9, 2016, 10:59:51 AM11/9/16
to BioUno Developers
Hi Bruno;

I just realized why in some of my initial exploration with Active Choices v1.5 a working job configurations with v1.4 parameters stopped working. It seems that if a job configuration is saved and  updated to v1.5, the scriptlet parameters are not saved.

After some additional investigation it appears that in v1.5 you can't t configure scriptlet parameters. They are not saved even if you set them in the configuration again.

This for me is a show-stopper as I use many scriptlets to drive Active Choices.

Please, let me know if you want me to setup an example job to test with.

Best regards
Ioannis

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Nov 9, 2016, 11:15:36 AM11/9/16
to BioUno Developers
I have also confirmed that the same problem exists with the code branch from here: Improvement JENKINS-38889User configurable option for number of options displayed in Active Choices

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Nov 10, 2016, 1:57:59 AM11/10/16
to biouno-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ioannis,

I'm testing the change right now. If I'm able to save the script, restart Jenkins, and the script has been persisted correctly, I'll cut 1.5.1 in the next minutes.

We may have another release in some days/weeks, to fix the performance regression as well.

Cheers
Bruno

Nov 10, 2016, 2:18:24 AM11/10/16
to biouno-d...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if you used the same installation to test? The code in that branch doesn't have the issue with transient fields, so it should work fine.

Before releasing 1.5.1, I think it might be better to generate an alpha version, and give it some more testing then.

It worked for me debugging in Eclipse. It's running `mvn package` right now, and will attach the new hpi in the issue in JIRA. Let me know if that works for you too, and I'll cut a new release ASAP.

Cheers
Bruno

Nov 10, 2016, 2:11:20 PM11/10/16
to BioUno Developers
Hi Bruno;

After testing v1.5.1 it seems that the bug persists.
It's probably a good idea to remove the current plugin v1.5+ from the update center till the issue is resolved.

Unfortunately it has created some issues with other users. Thank you for looking into this.

Best regards
Ioannis

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Nov 10, 2016, 3:04:01 PM11/10/16
to biouno-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ioannis,

Thanks for testing. Interesting that it doesn't happen for me any more. Have you tried in a fresh installation, or in an existing one?

See https://github.com/jenkinsci/backend-update-center2/pull/90 for the request to remove 1.5 and 1.5.0 from the update center.

Bruno

Nov 10, 2016, 4:06:46 PM11/10/16
to BioUno Developers, brunod...@yahoo.com.br
Hi Bruno;

I have only tried it on an existing Jenkins v 2.19.2 installation.
Do you think it's an interaction with another plugin?

Best reagrds
Ioannis

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 3:04:01 PM UTC-5, Bruno Kinoshita wrote:
Hi Ioannis,

Thanks for testing. Interesting that it doesn't happen for me any more. Have you tried in a fresh installation, or in an existing one?

See https://github.com/jenkinsci/backend-update-center2/pull/90 for the request to remove 1.5 and 1.5.0 from the update center.

Bruno

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Nov 10, 2016, 4:14:15 PM11/10/16
to Ioannis Moutsatsos, BioUno Developers
Hi Ioannis,

No, I think it was an isolated bug in the active-choices-plugin, unrelated to other plug-ins.

The transient field is marked as "not to be serialized", so when Jenkins persists objects to disk, it skips those values.

My suspicion is that you could have had the version 1.5.0 previously installed, and that caused the alpha version with the fix to fail too. Maybe Jenkins didn't understand it was supposed to persist the scripts now.

Could you try to reproduce the issue against a new test installation of Jenkins? If you are not able to reproduce the issue on this new installation, we can push 1.5.1.

Users upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5.1 should not have any issues.

If you confirm 1.5.1 alpha is working, I'll do the following testing tonight before releasing:

- install Jenkins LTS, with active-choices 1.4
- upgrade to the alpha
- try stopping/starting Jenkins a few times, and confirm it works
- release 1.5.1

Then will look at what happens when you have 1.5.0. We may have to do something else to force Jenkins to persist the field now.

How does that sound?

Bruno

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Nov 10, 2016, 5:56:05 PM11/10/16
to Bruno P. Kinoshita, BioUno Developers

Hi Bruno
I have stopped and restarted the server several times with no change to the behavior. As soon as I save a 1.4 configuration I lose the parameters. However I have not tried it on a fresh Jenkins installation yet. So this is still something to try. On my way back home now, so probably I will not have any update for you till tomorrow. Thanks for all your guidance!

Enjoy the weekend!
Ioannis

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Nov 11, 2016, 10:49:42 AM11/11/16
to BioUno Developers, imout...@gmail.com, brunod...@yahoo.com.br
Hi Bruno;

There is a strange behavior with AC v1.5.1. While it is true that if you update directly from 1.4 to 1.5.1 the AC plugin works correctly, a server that has seen the 1.5.0 version continues to exhibit the issue even with the 1.5.1 version of the plugin. Downgrading to v.1.4 always fixes the issue, but going back to 1.5.1 after that does not work.

Why this is happening is beyond me! It seems that the transient setting from v1.5.0 are somehow persisted in Jenkins and only with the v1.5.x,  but how?

Now, the system I've upgraded directly from v1.4 to v1.5.1 was at home and it has a lot less plugins installed. So it is still likely that if there is an interaction with another plugin that cause this I would not see it and neither anyone else with a simple test installation of the plugin dependencies.

Also on two of my Jenkins servers v1.596.2 the plugin v1.5.1 version does not appear in the update center. I'm confused here too!

Sorry that I'm not much help for you here, but after several attempts I'm still stuck.

Best regards
Ioannis

From: Ioannis Moutsatsos <imout...@gmail.com>
To: BioUno Developers <biouno-developers@googlegroups.com>
Untitled_Clipping_111116_104819_AM.jpg

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Nov 11, 2016, 7:05:53 PM11/11/16
to biouno-d...@googlegroups.com, imout...@gmail.com
>Also on two of my Jenkins servers v1.596.2 the plugin v1.5.1 version does not appear in the update center. I'm confused here too!

Could it be that you need to force the update site reload? There should be a button to check for updates in the bottom right of the manage plug-ins page.

>Sorry that I'm not much help for you here, but after several attempts I'm still stuck.

You are definitely helping. I believe jumping from 1.4 to 1.5.1 should be safe. Now we need to figure out why it's not really working in your environment, and find a way to go from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1 safely too, if necessary.

Try taking a look at the config.xml file in the job you are currently investigating. Both tags, and the plugin version attributes, may help us understanding what is happening.

Cheers
Bruno

Nov 16, 2016, 12:11:42 PM11/16/16
to BioUno Developers
Happy to report that Active Choices version 1.5.2 resolves the problem for me!
Thanks Bruno!

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Nov 16, 2016, 2:25:46 PM11/16/16
to biouno-d...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that Ioannis!

Apologies for the inconvenience, and any issues caused.

There is one change already for the next version. One that I quite like. A user submitted (love Open Source) a pull request that displays the LOADING overlay while a referenced parameter is waiting for another parameters.

Besides this change, I plan no outstanding changes. We did have to release this version, which part of it was sitting in the experimental since March, and was part of a minor security issue in Jenkins. Knew it could cause minor bugs, but wasn't expecting such regressions.

So in the next days I will be preparing a presentation for researchers on CI, organized by NeSI (https://github.com/nesi), and trying to write unit tests that will test the following:

* Save a job with a simple Active Choices parameter. Stop Jenkins. Start it again, and confirm the parameter is still there. Then confirm that changing that field to transient fails the test
* Save a job with a Scriptler parameter, with parameters. Stop Jenkins. Start it again, and confirm the parameter is still there.

That will increase the build time, but will prevent similar issues of happening again.

Cheers
Bruno