Meeting notes 5/30/2013

Russell McLoughlin

May 31, 2013, 2:59:49 AM5/31/13
to biotech...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
Here are some notes I took at tonights meeting. I know Richard and possibly others took some notes of their own- please feel free to update and improve.

Cheers,
Russell

Jonathan Cline

May 31, 2013, 2:24:24 PM5/31/13
to Russell McLoughlin, biotech...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, Max & I set up some PC's. One of these PC's is a linux server running asterisk and apache. Machine name is 'asterisk1'. Since this is already up, I suggest a basic plan of making it into the intranet server for files and web.  Data can be put to/from the server with SSH from other PC's running data logging or image capture etc.  This server could sync it's files to a cloud for backup (automated push for example), and run dyndns with a fixed rule in the router to allow external SSH into the server.   It could also be set up for samba but I would recommend against enabling file sharing on any of the PCs due to software virus.  SSH would be better which could be automated with a couple simple python scripts.
The PC's were set up with a standard password which I won't send out over email.  Login/password policy for the lab should be defined.

## Jonathan Cline
## jcl...@ieee.org
## Mobile: +1-805-617-0223
########################

Jonathan Cline

Jun 1, 2013, 8:19:51 PM6/1/13
to biotech...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the couple questions about the fridge power/cable

Hopefully the below pics get embedded in the email.

I havent seen the plug but it is either 120V,20A (aka NEMA 5-20 connector, maybe requires unique breaker) or 220V NEMA 6 connector.

-- quotes --
To prevent the wrong appliance from being plugged into the wrong receptable, major appliance and tool manufacturers tailor the plugs to the special receptacles shown below.

240-volt Receptacles

"Row and column table of NEMA
            receptacles."
A table of NEMA receptacles, with their common US uses listed.

PowerFig PF52012E120 Extension Power Cord NEMA
                    5-20 Plug to NEMA 5-20 Connector 10 Feet 20a/125v
                    12/3 SJT
Item #: 4488
Manufacturer: PowerFig
Availability: Ship or Pickup. Usually ships within 24 hours. [?]

Price: $27.00

125V Straight Blade Cords

208V+ straight blade cords have a NEMA 6-20 male plug with either a NEMA 6-20, C13, or C19 female connector. Varying cord lengths available.

Available for warehouse pickup. Usually ships within 24 hours.

208V+ Straight Blade Cords
SJT 6-20 C13 14/3 AWG 6 feet 250 Volts 15 Amps In Stock
  • Item: 1410
  • Price: $10.00

-- end quote --

## Jonathan Cline